News   Apr 26, 2024
 54     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 289     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 511     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Sept 29
Had a visit to Burlington and even it been open 100%, its still not finish.

The #2 elevator still not working and installed at the same time as the first one. Other work still taking place with no interference to the public. The old kiss & ride lot close so it can be rebuilt.

The hording in the corridor at the east entrance indicated there could be retail there at some future date.

GO Buses are using the stops beside the main entrance.

Bus Bays are number 4-14 with 4-5, 13-14 in the driveway. There is no word what Burlington Transit plans are at this time for using the new bus area that they used before. There are 3 options as what could happen and time will tell which one gets use.
Option 1: As it was before construction.
Option 2: Leave things as they are now.
Option 3: move all the routes to the south side new bus loop.

Regardless which option is use, riders are going to spend more time either on the buses getting to/from the station or walking from one loop to another.

All GO tickets agents have fans sitting on the table beside them and the first station I have seen this done.

Very few seats to sit down on at this time.

Hard to say at this time if the fence between the station and the towers being built next door will remain or have a gate and walkway in it or be remove 100% once all construction is done. Will add a number of new riders to the station. They are building tower 2 and 3 is just coming out of the ground. The plan calls for 5 20s towers, but some are going to be taller with enough room for 6 towers.

One thing I was seeing and seen it at other station beside GO, is the illegal drop off or pickup in the bus loop area. Saw a few stating to make the left turn to realize their mistake by either pulling back into traffic or making a U-Turn. Need bigger signs with flashing lights tell these clues drivers not to enter.

Lots more photos up on site.
37403340741_56df3033af_b.jpg

23550414838_b4ac5e6608_b.jpg

37402948971_46e9a99c44_b.jpg

37402955291_d620cd7809_b.jpg

37355132116_5841bb4deb_b.jpg

37145316860_04c477a30f_b.jpg

37145333780_962cc9d7b4_b.jpg

37145335160_64afdf597f_b.jpg

37402999691_af7ef769c2_b.jpg

36693654074_094077c3b8_b.jpg

37403002411_b9e19b83ce_b.jpg

23550403718_05825ace51_b.jpg

36693952024_448b224c7e_b.jpg

Aikins said Metrolinx didn’t make the report public until now because it “was a work in progress and needed revisions before it was considered final.”

The report’s conclusions and data weren’t altered, according to Aikins. Instead “the revisions focused on grammar changes, readability and factual errors or overstatements.”

What a bunch of bull. They didn't want to make something public that conflicted with the government's direction. It does not take 15 months to correct that stuff, not even a bureaucracy.

You have a very distorted view. The Star is a social justice serving rag that serves up votes for the federal and provincial liberals. Seldom is there actually any news on their front pages. Their investigative reporting serves one purpose...to disrupt and advance their social justice cause.

Yes I read it every day.
:D

Any update with the East Rail Maintenance Facility? I drove by on Sunday and noticed a couple of locomotives and cars in the yard. Not nearly as many construction vehicles as from the summer. Would've taken a picture, but alas, I was driving.

Any update with the East Rail Maintenance Facility? I drove by on Sunday and noticed a couple of locomotives and cars in the yard. Not nearly as many construction vehicles as from the summer. Would've taken a picture, but alas, I was driving.

They're now working on testing and validating the various systems and devices around the property. I believe that the current plan has operations starting out of there in early January.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

SQ-2017-CUS-016 Construction of Union Station Railway Corridor W Track Enh.

Request For Pre-Qualifications

Pre-Qualification No. SQ-2017-CUS-016

Prequalification for Construction of Union Station Railway Corridor – West Track Enhancement

Metrolinx is issuing this Request to be Prequalified to establish a Prequalified List of Contractors to carry out the construction of the Union Station Railway Corridor – West Track Enhancement through an open, fair and competitive process

The objective of this Request to be Prequalified (Stage 1) is to develop a Prequalified List of Contractors (including their named Subcontractors, and Key Personnel), with the necessary experience, qualifications and resource availability to provide the Work to be issued via the Stage 2 invitational procurement process for Union Station Railway Corridor – West Track Enhancement.

Pre-qualification Submissions will be accepted until the Closing of 3:00 p.m., Thursday November 2, 2017, via Metrolinx Merx Electronic Bid Submission (EBS) and will be opened by Metrolinx staff as soon as is practicable after the designated Closing.

Pre-qualification documents are available online at www.metrolinx.merx.com, Merx Reference Number,

Only those Proponents that Metrolinx has determined, in its sole discretion based on the Evaluation Criteria stated herein, to be qualified will be added to the Metrolinx Prequalified List of Contractors for the Work.

For more information on this opportunity, please click on the following link:
https://www.metrolinx.merx.com/public/solicitations/540024603/abstract?language=EN

Last edited:
Looks like they're finally planning to do something about the slow zone west of Guelph GO Station. From Guelph city council earlier this week.

Planned Railway Corridor work between Guelph Station and Hwy 6:
  • Replacement of 2000 ties
  • Replacement of all mainline rail
  • Improving ballast locations
  • Replacement of 7-8 turnouts
  • 5 crossing rehabilitations: Dublin, Yorkshire, Edinburgh, Alma, Glasgow
  • Fencing work along the corridor, including near Kent Street
Track speed to be increased from 10 mph to 30 mph, subject to working in partnership with the City.

The full presentation can be found here: http://guelph.ca/wp-content/uploads/cow_consolidated-agenda_100217.pdf#page=5

Looks like they're finally planning to do something about the slow zone west of Guelph GO Station. From Guelph city council earlier this week.

The full presentation can be found here: http://guelph.ca/wp-content/uploads/cow_consolidated-agenda_100217.pdf#page=5

An increase from only 10 to 30 mph? I assume that if this ever went to HEAR they'd have to do even more upgrades?

If it's just electrified RER (through the construction of the Bypass) would they also have to do more work to go higher than 30?

An increase from only 10 to 30 mph? I assume that if this ever went to HEAR they'd have to do even more upgrades?

If it's just electrified RER (through the construction of the Bypass) would they also have to do more work to go higher than 30?

Does higher than 30 matter much? Also, 30mph sounds like a switch speed limit.

Anyway, the speed at the station is 0 and this new limit applies to a gap around 2 miles long. The time savings from a 30mph limit to 45mph limit (if it's a switch limit, that's about the best you'll get from Metrolinx) would be ~15 more seconds. If they were looking at 5 minute frequencies I'd have a different opinion over those 15 seconds but even hourly service can deal with it.

The proposed upgrades and new limit will get roughly 7 minutes of time savings.

The currently unfunded HSR line may propose further changes, including double-tracking this segment and building a larger station, if it survives the election and goes through Guelph. The "fast" version runs around Guelph rather than through it.

Last edited:
The 'Go Slow' order through Guelp's west side was the result of a series of deadly crossing collisions. I'm curious as to how TC views safety being improved by the changes proposed/scheduled?

There's something missing in the Metrolinx report:

upload_2017-10-6_8-26-41.png

Unless those grade crossings are changed to underpasses or blocked off completely (A more likely option) the same danger is present as has been prior.

Curious....

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-6_8-26-41.png
    upload_2017-10-6_8-26-41.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 363
Edinburgh, at least, can't be blocked off. Have there been any serious plans to making a cut for the rail line?

Edinburgh, at least, can't be blocked off. Have there been any serious plans to making a cut for the rail line?

No, nor does the currently planned level of service in the 2025 plan warrant a $2B solution for that area.

Trenching the track would require reworking the intersecting freight line, rebuilding the station, and likely more than a little bit of expropriation along Kent.

Best solution is probably to get something in the city official plan to allow redevelopment of the area to larger buildings (multi-unit condos) with greater setbacks. Add hourly all-day service and wait 30 years for a broad corridor to naturally appear.

Last edited:

Back