Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

I understood that they were cataloguing the bricks?

ETA: here’s a good explanation. https://canada.constructconnect.com...k-transformation-for-loblaw-building-1010301w
Great article! Here's the money quote:
The bricks won’t be placed back in their exact spots but will be laid according to where bricks of that size and shape were originally set. Weir said since the structure is concrete with a brick façade — as will be the new structure — and some design changes have been incorporated, they will have a margin of about 10 per cent of materials, which should offset the need to source any more bricks.

Sept 17, 2019

DSC01760.JPG

DSC01763.JPG

DSC01764.JPG

fullsizeoutput_2e11.jpeg

DSC01773.JPG

DSC01774.JPG

DSC01775.JPG

DSC01781.JPG

DSC01784.JPG

DSC01786.JPG

DSC01809.JPG

DSC01811.JPG

DSC01812.JPG

DSC01818.JPG

What bugged me a bit about the brick podium is just how different the color of the brick is now from what I remembered it as. I always thought this was supposed to be a monotone reddish-brown building. So I did some searching on Google street view archives. July 2014:

So, apparently the brick color variation was always there, but just barely visible behind years of dirt and grime and whatever else wafts over form the Gardiner. Very cool to now see what the bricks originally looked like.

Given how hideous and cheap looking the towers are its hilarious that Concord Adex want to advertise their name all over them.
They don’t think the towers are hideous (obviously). If my memory serves me correctly, they referred to the architecture as ‘timeless’ when they were promoting the development.

aAbsolutely aAwful. Honestly you wonder what work the DRP actually do and why they can't be given a mandate to ensure some degree of architectural quality.

"If my memory serves me correctly, they referred to the architecture as ‘timeless’ when they were promoting the development."

Methinks "timeless" may refer to their huge archive of copy and paste tower files (more to come?).

Fortunately, thanks to the not lost art of bricklaying (kudos), the street level will be a very nice suprise and hide the towers from view. Hope the shopping is as good as the building ;-)

Back