1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 661     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 305     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Also waiting for the expansion across the don valley to thorncliffe and leaside

They're pretty much done for this year.

Currently I think they're contemplating a slightly smaller expansion next year, but in any event I'd be surprised to seem them exceed 600 stations (same as Montreal) in the near term.

Thorncliffe and Leaside are possibilities.

But they have at least 40 stations worth of infill to do based on gaps in already serviced areas.

More to deal w/high-demand locations where bikes or docking posts are in short supply.

After which there are a variety of incremental growth opportunities.

Its important that they not actually do what they did this year w/the ET Seton post and set up a 'stranded' location, where the only post to dock the bike back at is the one from which you started.

Leaside, would require about 8 locations on or south of Eglinton, a couple more on Mt. Pleasant as well to make a workable connection to areas west.

Thorncliffe needs 2 or 3 on-road, but another 1-2 in the valley corridors.

Its not a small matter to service areas that are essentially unserviced today.

This would be my list of essential infill in existing areas.

East Toronto/East York:

- Monarch Park (serves the park and 2 adjacent High Schools)
- Little India, needs 2 Gerrard-based stations
- Upper Gerrard/Coxwell
- Greenwood Subway Yard (large employer)
- Dundas/Carlaw
- Dieppe Park
- East York Community Ctr
-Donland/Mortimer
-Donlands/O'Connor
-Woodbine/Mortimer
-Woodbine/O'Connor
-Kingston Rd/Beech
-Kingston Rd./Victoria Park
-Danforth/Victoria Park
-Barrington/Lumsden (entrance to Taylor Creek Park and logical location to serve high-density residential)

That's 16 locations right there.

Easy enough to add similar rates of infill south of Bloor West Village, on Etobicoke-Queensway, St. Clair West (Yonge - St. Clair West Stn), Dupont (from Ossington to Dufferin), and tons of fill on Eglinton West
from Avenue Rd. and then south to St. Clair.

I would wager that would equal at least 55 stations including the original East Toronto/East York area.

Throw in 20 more to meet demand in existing areas..........that leaves you a range of 25-60 or so to incrementally grow into Leaside/Thorncliffe, North Toronto, Etobicoke-Bloor St. and portions of the valley park system.

That won't begin to touch Scarborough or North-York City Centre.

If we're that ambitious.......it will take at least 705 total stations, making us the largest bikeshare system on the continent alongside NYC.

The one near lower Gerrard/Coxwell should suffice for now - and I say this living closer to Upper Gerrard/Coxwell.

Its question of origin/destination.

When I look at that area, I would assume the following, that the largest draws of potential bike traffic would be the No Frills (if it ever reopens), Lahore Tikki House, Monarch Park and associated High Schools to the north, Bowmore school and community Ctr to the north-east, Gerrard/Ashdale Library, and Woodfield/Gerrard (paired w/Hiawatha or Highfield) as there is a continuous route here to/from Monarch Park.

To me, that single location would force too many walks greater than 5 minutes to/from the dock.

Both schools are within walking distance of Greenwood subway station I doubt many students would rent bikes for getting to and from school (I used to go to St. Patricks C.S.S.)

Don't forget hundreds of faculty, the draw of the outdoor pool in Monarch Park; and that the catchment of both schools also goes south, away from the subway, not just north.

Don't forget hundreds of faculty, the draw of the outdoor pool in Monarch Park; and that the catchment of both schools also goes south, away from the subway, not just north.
I wouldn't factor in faculty or the students at all yes the outdoor pol would be drawn but making the assumption that putting in a bike share will somehow make student ad teachers want to ride bikes to school seems ridiculous to me. I rode my bike to St Pat's once and would never do it again the reason I did it was because a teacher organized a bike ride on a school, activities day

I wouldn't factor in faculty or the students at all yes the outdoor pol would be drawn but making the assumption that putting in a bike share will somehow make student ad teachers want to ride bikes to school seems ridiculous to me. I rode my bike to St Pat's once and would never do it again the reason I did it was because a teacher organized a bike ride on a school, activities day

With great respect; I believe you are wrong.

The evidence bares out that many apartment dwellers as well as many low income earners and/or novice cyclists are much more likely to take cycling up when a bikeshare system is in place and convenient to them.

The expansion of bikeshare thus far already shows impacts on modal splits with growth in cycling.

To be clear, other investments need to accompany this, including more bike lanes, such as those proposed for Danforth Avenue in this area. But bikeshare is very much one component in growing the cycling cohort.

With great respect; I believe you are wrong.

The evidence bares out that many apartment dwellers as well as many low income earners and/or novice cyclists are much more likely to take cycling up when a bikeshare system is in place and convenient to them.

The expansion of bikeshare thus far already shows impacts on modal splits with growth in cycling.

To be clear, other investments need to accompany this, including more bike lanes, such as those proposed for Danforth Avenue in this area. But bikeshare is very much one component in growing the cycling cohort.
You're forthing that most high school students are lazy and also you mention low-income people who may not have the money to be renting a biker daily for ther so or daughter to commute to scholl every day. Plus don't forget in hot weather it then means that said commuters would probably need to shower wich the schools in question don't have ta facilities for the entire student population or teachers to be able to shower or change after riding a bike plus St. Pats in a catholic school and has a unifoirm.
This whole build it and they will come mentality with cycling in Toronto is ridiculous and needs to stop now before we waste any more money on it. We don't need more people on bikes on the road we don't need sny mor3e bike lanes on the road just for a few people that seem to think that everyone will ride a bike if ther is a special place for them to ride it and we make them available to everyone. this is not Europe this is not a small city with a tiny street that are two ways wehn they look like a one-way street.

You're forthing that most high school students are lazy and also you mention low-income people who may not have the money to be renting a biker daily for ther so or daughter to commute to scholl every day. Plus don't forget in hot weather it then means that said commuters would probably need to shower wich the schools in question don't have ta facilities for the entire student population or teachers to be able to shower or change after riding a bike plus St. Pats in a catholic school and has a unifoirm.
This whole build it and they will come mentality with cycling in Toronto is ridiculous and needs to stop now before we waste any more money on it. We don't need more people on bikes on the road we don't need sny mor3e bike lanes on the road just for a few people that seem to think that everyone will ride a bike if ther is a special place for them to ride it and we make them available to everyone. this is not Europe this is not a small city with a tiny street that are two ways wehn they look like a one-way street.

Your attitude is unfortunate. I don't see it contributing positively to this thread and I will not engage with you further on the subject. Please refrain from addressing my posts since you clearly on willing to give the issue in question any serious consideration.

Your attitude is unfortunate. I don't see it contributing positively to this thread and I will not engage with you further on the subject. Please refrain from addressing my posts since you clearly on willing to give the issue in question any serious consideration.
I'm sorry I don't agree with everything but just because what I have to say isn't positive doesn't mean that I'm not contributting to a threaded. It seems that on here that threads either are way to pro one side or another and the moment that someone disagrees with someone or the majority of the thread they are some how wrong and not entitled to have an opinion or be allowed to post it. I only poited out that I didn't think that two high schools would be as high a draw as you seemed to think they would be.

I'm sorry I don't agree with everything but just because what I have to say isn't positive doesn't mean that I'm not contributting to a threaded. It seems that on here that threads either are way to pro one side or another and the moment that someone disagrees with someone or the majority of the thread they are some how wrong and not entitled to have an opinion or be allowed to post it. I only poited out that I didn't think that two high schools would be as high a draw as you seemed to think they would be.

What I expect, other than when discussing something entirely subjective like architectural aesthetics or the merits of a particular public art piece is to have debates (that means more than one POV) that are informed by facts, by evidence, by logic etc.

Your expressions in this thread have generally aligned with your preordained point-of-view, and one or two personal anecdotes from some years past.

You have made absolute statements which are in fact contrary to evidence. (we know how many people are using bikeshare, they publish the number every single month), we also know how many people are using bike lanes, or choosing to commute by bike. These numbers published both in bike lane studies and in the overall traffic counts done every so often.

You have taken the position that Toronto is building lots of cycling infrastructure that is going unused and/or having little impact on increasing cycling modal share, when in fact there is clear, verifiable, published evidence to the contrary.

I don't know how we can have a useful conversation when your position does not correspond with known facts.

Clearly, there is nothing I or anyone can do shift your POV, because you either don't know the facts or don't care what they say. Either way, this particular sub-thread has run its logical course.

Last edited:
What I expect, other than when discussing something entirely subjective like architectural aesthetics or the merits of a particular public art piece is to have debates (that means more than one POV) that are informed by facts, by evidence, by logic etc.

Your expressions in this thread have generally aligned with your preordained point-of-view, and one or two personal anecdotes from some years past.

You have made absolute statements which are in fact contrary to evidence. (we know how many people using bikeshare, they publish the number ever single month), we also know how many people using bike lanes, or choosing to commute by bike. These numbers published both in bike lane studies and in the overall traffic counts done every so often.

You have taken the position that Toronto is building lots of cycling infrastructure that is going unused and/or having little impact on increasing cycling modal share, when in fact there is clear, verifiable, published evidence to the contrary.

I don't know how we can have a useful conversation when your position does not correspond with known facts.

Clearly, there is nothing I or anyone can do shift your POV, because you either don't know the facts or don't care what they say. Either way, this particular sub-thread has run its logical course.
Just because more people choose to use them doesn't mean that everyone in Toronto will choose to use them. I'm not saying that it is all going unuesed but I do think that it's being underused by the people that do cycle. I do think that there are places that bike shares can be useful but some of the locations that I have seen aren't very convenient for anyone to want to bother using them in some areas of the city, like I said before they seem to be taking an of you build it and they will come approach rather than seeing what places actually make sense for them to be built in.

Not only is the Bike Share one of the cheapest ways to get around, at $79 for a YEARLY membership (if you keep each ride under 30 minutes) but e-bikes are also a very important part of the cycling system.

While not implemented yet, bike share should and I believe will have e-bikes available, and people can ride their own. Many of your arguments against cycling would be completely mitigated by e-bikes, which are an excellent alternative to cars in a downtown core.

Back