News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 750     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

July 10
I was there early in the week and couldn't get close as you did and a mess. The whole road has been torn up with piles of dirt where none was the last time I was there. From the only angle I could get for a shot show concrete.

Stop off at the new third bridge and nothing has change other than the new 3 track signal mast bridge in place.

I see the old bridge for the now close road to cars to the park has been replaced with a 13.6' precast tunnel for cycles and pedestrians. You can park outside the close gate and walk in. A new retaining wall has been built to allow the new 3rd track to be place for it when it takes place.

July 10/14
To me, it seems work is behind schedule on the south platform at Bramalea as very little has been done since I last saw it months ago. Same for the other platform. No real work has started on the parking structure as of today.

July 14
Come fall, Torbram Road for the CN Grade Separation will be open for both lanes of traffic. Only the topping of the retaining wall and handrails has to be done for the northbound lanes, along with pouring the sidewalk and the road.

Metrolinx Weston Sub grade separation is still a year or so off from being completed. The 4th track bridge is in place, but still has to be back fill. 2 sections of the east retaining wall on the north side is seeing forming and that retaining wall could be done by year end. The south section still has to have its top form with handrail. Still some forming of retaining wall to be done as well.

There is a large section of retaining wall on the west side on the south side beside the new bridge is done. Until they get all east retraining wall and sidewalk in place, can't do the northbound lanes to shift traffic to it so they can build the rest of the west retaining wall, sidewalk and road.

Had a look at new platform for Kennedy GO Station and looks like all the stairs and elevator form work to the new tunnel is done and waiting for the building of the platform and new track. A new switch has been cut in to the existing line north of Eglinton Ave for the new 2nd track on the west side, but no track there yet.

July 8
Boy did they shift the track north of Milliken GO station where the platform was before. Been many months since I last saw it. The track and the curve section push to the west to the point a bridge for both tracks can be built at the same time now. Lots of shoring in place for the bridge and platform at Steeles in place. Lots concrete support of lights and other things has been shore and pour with anchors at the top. Rebar crew working on making a lots of columns support on the north side of Steeles. Work still taking place on the east side of the station where the new tunnel was installed, but no idea what taking place other than forming.

Have photos, but way behind on doing the ones before them and no idea when they will be on line.

^ML is doing some intensive maintenance on level crossings along the Kitchener line as well. This work has started and will continue into the fall.
As mundane as this work may sound, it will permit higher track speed, and that will eventually translate into faster timings.

- Paul
Speaking of, are there any plans to eliminate the Scarboro St Crossing ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the only at grade crossing between Bramelea and Union left.

Speaking of, are there any plans to eliminate the Scarboro St Crossing ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the only at grade crossing between Bramelea and Union left.
Yes, but the city and Metrolinx are at odds doing it because of the pedestrians. The city wants a tunnel for pedestrians as well traffic, but Metrolinx wants neither. Now this is going back a number of years and haven't seen or heard anymore on it.

Metrolinx Weston Sub grade separation is still a year or so off from being completed. The 4th track bridge is in place, but still has to be back fill. 2 sections of the east retaining wall on the north side is seeing forming and that retaining wall could be done by year end. The south section still has to have its top form with handrail. Still some forming of retaining wall to be done as well.

Sorry I'm a little unclear. Which grade separation is this and where exactly? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

Sorry I'm a little unclear. Which grade separation is this and where exactly? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

This may help. The two grade separations are just east of Bramalea GO, and east of the junction between the Halton and Weston Subs. There are two projects, one for the CN Halton Sub (which is nearing completion) and one for the GO Weston Sub (which has been a very painful project). You can see the two road diversions at the very right side of the shot. I zoomed over to show the Bramalea GO station so you get the relative locations.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 1.19.46 PM.png

Not sure if this email update (from July 9th) has been posted. This matter was mentioned back at the Metrolinx town hall in Durham where it was stated that they wouldn't need some of the third tracking on the Lakeshore East corridor. Just out of curiosity, does this mean they'll still add a third track between Guildwood and Rough Hill Stations? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

Lakeshore East Rail Corridor
Update for Rouge Hill GO Station to Pickering Area

Metrolinx is working to transform the way the region moves by building a seamless, convenient and integrated transit network across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Over the next 10 years, Metrolinx is transforming the existing GO rail system to deliver a whole new rapid transit experience to your community. With more frequent train service you’ll have more options to get you where you need to go.

What has changed?

Initially, it was understood that the Lakeshore East Rail Corridor would have to be widened to accommodate the new third track, but with intensive reviews of the project scope and train service between Rouge Hill GO and Durham Junction (west of Pickering GO Station), Metrolinx determined that it is possible to reduce the entire three-mile three track section while still achieving future GO Expansion service levels.

This now means that there will be limited impact to adjacent trees and landscaping in the immediate future. There will be some work done to the Rouge River Bridge. Also, during Highland Creek Bridge construction there will be some impacts to the section of the Waterfront Trail under the Highland Creek Bridge. The plan for this work is still being finalized, but Metrolinx remains committed to engagement with the surrounding community in advance of and during these impacts.

Not sure if this email update (from July 9th) has been posted. This matter was mentioned back at the Metrolinx town hall in Durham where it was stated that they wouldn't need some of the third tracking on the Lakeshore East corridor. Just out of curiosity, does this mean they'll still add a third track between Guildwood and Rough Hill Stations? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

I don't have any specific information, other than having heard through back channels that the expansion had indeed been scaled waaay back.

The comment about construction of a Highland Creek bridge does make me think that some third track extension will happen. It's a touch over 3 miles from Rouge Hill to Durham Jct, so reading the text literally, the 3-mile reduction would be from Rouge Hill eastwards.

Operationally, if eastbound local GOs can be held at Rouge Hill on a third track, it's possible to run 15 minute locals plus hourly Oshawa Expresses and hourly VIA's while running the same pattern westbound. The choke point is actually at Durham Jct where eastbound GOs will have to cross over the path of westbound VIA's , but expanded use of the south platform at Pickering might mitigate that.

The other choke point discussion is the fourth track from Union to Scarborough Jct, and the flyover/under at that point. That's a huge deal.

- Paul

I don't have any specific information, other than having heard through back channels that the expansion had indeed been scaled waaay back.

The comment about construction of a Highland Creek bridge does make me think that some third track extension will happen. It's a touch over 3 miles from Rouge Hill to Durham Jct, so reading the text literally, the 3-mile reduction would be from Rouge Hill eastwards.

Operationally, if eastbound local GOs can be held at Rouge Hill on a third track, it's possible to run 15 minute locals plus hourly Oshawa Expresses and hourly VIA's while running the same pattern westbound. The choke point is actually at Durham Jct where eastbound GOs will have to cross over the path of westbound VIA's , but expanded use of the south platform at Pickering might mitigate that.

The other choke point discussion is the fourth track from Union to Scarborough Jct, and the flyover/under at that point. That's a huge deal.

- Paul
Interesting point about Scarborough Jct needing a flyover. I do not take the Souffville Line frequently but when I have rode the train eastbound I have noticed VIA Rail trains stopped westbound at the Junction as GO Trains cross over their path. I would imagine this will become quite a big issue as Souffville service approaches 15 minute headways as I believe this may also force westbound Lakeshore trains to wait.

^ It was mentioned at the Durham townhall and as @crs1026 said they are looking at a fly over. Looking forward to seeing the drawings. Will it require an EA like the Davenport Overpass?

Will it require an EA like the Davenport Overpass?

A TPAP, I’m sure.

It will be interesting to see whether they have learned anything about community relations after the Davenport debacle. I’m quite sure that local residents out there don’t know this is coming.

- Paul

July 08
More up on site
Hamilton Confederation GO Station
48318637416_6331044087_b.jpg

48318637216_d885edf8c5_b.jpg

48318636421_fba599f49b_b.jpg

Hamilton Desjardins Channel 3rd Track Bridge
48318751762_5fc688538a_b.jpg

48318750707_2fd2df3f02_b.jpg

Old Valley Inn Rd
48318750232_f9029dac22_b.jpg

48318749567_cdd2b5cc05_b.jpg

48318629806_46ffffee22_b.jpg

48318747762_c666611b83_b.jpg

July 14
Torbram Rd Grade Separation For CN Rail Halton Subdivision In Brampton
48327127302_afe9ed25f5_b.jpg

48326999471_64005decf7_b.jpg

48326998781_80c1ba01c6_b.jpg

Georgetown-Kitchener Corridor Expansion: Metrolinx Weston Subdivision Torbram Rd 4 Track Grade Separation For CN Rail And GO Transit In Mississauga
48326997441_eebab33397_b.jpg

48327124987_696c99554b_b.jpg

48326996916_3cb42542e1_b.jpg

48326996541_bdfb880b81_b.jpg

48327123167_cc2ca8e590_b.jpg

[imghttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48327121852_02d238233c_b.jpg[/img]
48326993721_e918f7907f_b.jpg

Back