Toronto Massey Hall Revitalization at the Allied Music Centre | 48.46m | 7s | KPMB

I thought the general consensus is that acoustics at Massey Hall is superior to RTH (from an audience perspective).

AoD

I'm not an authority on acoustics but in my experience, from the shows that I've attended at Massey Hall and those I attended at Roy Thomson Hall, I found the latter more pure and crisp. Massey Hall seemed to have an echo and I occasionally felt the vibrations from passing trains, as well as people talking outside the auditorium doors. From the video, it looks like they're going to fix the echo but they can't fix the subway rumble without rebuilding the entire theatre.

Then, as I mentioned, the Massey Hall sight lines are terrible. In one show, I was directly behind a post, I had to crane my neck to see. How the heck do they think that's an acceptable seat? Another time, when Conan O'Brien was at Massey Hall, I was on a side balcony. Conan's couch wasn't visible from there, only the guest's. I had to stand at the back to get a view. At Roy Thomson Hall, every seat has an unobstructed view and there really aren't any bad seats — even the very last ones at the back.

I don't think Massey Hall would meet modern standards, specially for the TSO whose patrons demand purity of sound and complete seclusion from the outdoor environment. Symphony goers also want to be able to see every member of the orchestra. It could be a good place for louder concerts with smaller stages like rock music, comedy shows, and talks. They're redoing the seats. Hopefully they favour sight lines over trying to maximize seating.

I'm not an authority on acoustics but in my experience, from the shows that I've attended at Massey Hall and those I attended at Roy Thomson Hall, I found the latter more pure and crisp. Massey Hall seemed to have an echo and I occasionally felt the vibrations from passing trains, as well as people talking outside the auditorium doors.
You know like, zero musicians, do you?

Massey is loved by musicians, sound techs (myself one in my early 20s) and fans. There is zero wrong with Massey, acoustically.

I'm not an authority on acoustics but in my experience, from the shows that I've attended at Massey Hall and those I attended at Roy Thomson Hall, I found the latter more pure and crisp. Massey Hall seemed to have an echo and I occasionally felt the vibrations from passing trains, as well as people talking outside the auditorium doors. From the video, it looks like they're going to fix the echo but they can't fix the subway rumble without rebuilding the entire theatre.

Then, as I mentioned, the Massey Hall sight lines are terrible. In one show, I was directly behind a post, I had to crane my neck to see. How the heck do they think that's an acceptable seat? Another time, when Conan O'Brien was at Massey Hall, I was on a side balcony. Conan's couch wasn't visible from there, only the guest's. I had to stand at the back to get a view. At Roy Thomson Hall, every seat has an unobstructed view and there really aren't any bad seats — even the very last ones at the back.

I don't think Massey Hall would meet modern standards, specially for the TSO whose patrons demand purity of sound and complete seclusion from the outdoor environment. Symphony goers also want to be able to see every member of the orchestra. It could be a good place for louder concerts with smaller stages like rock music, comedy shows, and talks. They're redoing the seats. Hopefully they favour sight lines over trying to maximize seating.

Don't forget it took two (expensive) tries before horseshoe/round RTH could deliver decent sound comparable to hundreds of "shoebox" halls around the world. (sorry Arthur RIP)

Don't forget it took two (expensive) tries before horseshoe/round RTH could deliver decent sound comparable to hundreds of "shoebox" halls around the world. (sorry Arthur RIP)

Three actually - they had to redesign the amplified system earlier this decade after the last redo by KPMB.

AoD

75AC35DE-57B9-4EFE-B612-2853706BA009.jpeg

I do wish the passerelles aren't so heavily connected to the existing building - those interfloor I beams are pretty intrusive. Wish they could have just hung it from a counterweighted roof supports (more along the lines of what DSAI did at the "City Room" in 4 Seasons).

AoD

Back