News   Mar 28, 2024
 203     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 609     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

TCDSB to charge teachers for parking at school lots!

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
YAY! :)

Hope this holds, the Union is throwing up a fuss.

Article here: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-brakes-on-plan-to-make-them-pay-to-park.html

$10 per day for teachers, $5 per day for admin staff, education assts and facilities staff.

Now if only the TDSB would follow suit!

Estimate to raise up to 6.4M per year.

Based on the TDSB being roughly 3 times larger, that it implies it could raise in the range of 19M..........

@AlexBozikovic this ties into your article on the Bloor-Dufferin redevelopment.

YAY! :)

Hope this holds, the Union is throwing up a fuss.

Article here: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-brakes-on-plan-to-make-them-pay-to-park.html

$10 per day for teachers, $5 per day for admin staff, education assts and facilities staff.

Now if only the TDSB would follow suit!

Estimate to raise up to 6.4M per year.

Based on the TDSB being roughly 3 times larger, that it implies it could raise in the range of 19M..........

@AlexBozikovic this ties into your article on the Bloor-Dufferin redevelopment.
Parking fee should be same for everyone - no difference for teachers or staff.
Parking fee should be related to the parking costs at neighbouring lots. Thus, maybe less as you get farther from downtown (maybe varying from $200/month to $50).

Last edited:
1. If school staff have been getting free parking up to now, for many of them this ought to have been reflected in their T4 slips as a taxable benefit. (See https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...l/benefits-allowances/automobile/parking.html ) If they have to pay for parking (or pay the market price?) this ceases to be a taxable benefit.
2. The price charged should certainly be the same for everyone.
3. The price should be the 'fair market price' for that area of the City (if they opt for a standard price - easier to administer - then those being subsidised should have the difference reported as a taxable benefit.)
3. If a teacher or staff member has to visit several schools in the course of a day then they should get free parking for that day.

1. If school staff have been getting free parking up to now, for many of them this ought to have been reflected in their T4 slips as a taxable benefit. (See https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...l/benefits-allowances/automobile/parking.html ) If they have to pay for parking (or pay the market price?) this ceases to be a taxable benefit.
2. The price charged should certainly be the same for everyone.
3. The price should be the 'fair market price' for that area of the City (if they opt for a standard price - easier to administer - then those being subsidised should have the difference reported as a taxable benefit.)
3. If a teacher or staff member has to visit several schools in the course of a day then they should get free parking for that day.

Agreed. There are school staff that must travel between sites where public transit would be impractical, such as speech pathologists, teacher-librarians and vice-principals who split their duties between two schools, psychologists and social workers, in-house tradespeople, and certain administrators. For them, they should always have access to free parking. Otherwise, it should be paid, with the cost based on parking availability, access to frequent transit, and neighbourhood walkability.

Agreed. There are school staff that must travel between sites where public transit would be impractical, such as speech pathologists, teacher-librarians and vice-principals who split their duties between two schools, psychologists and social workers, in-house tradespeople, and certain administrators. For them, they should always have access to free parking. Otherwise, it should be paid, with the cost based on parking availability, access to frequent transit, and neighbourhood walkability.

I'm not keen on the 'free' for those who have to travel between sites; instead I would cap their costs, ie. you only pay for parking once, but your pass is good for every school in the TDSB.

I'm not keen on the 'free' for those who have to travel between sites; instead I would cap their costs, ie. you only pay for parking once, but your pass is good for every school in the TDSB.

If your job requires you to use a motor vehicle, I don't think you should necessarily pay for parking. Otherwise you'd charge it back - which is what usually happens in the private sector.

If your job requires you to use a motor vehicle, I don't think you should necessarily pay for parking. Otherwise you'd charge it back - which is what usually happens in the private sector.

I know a TDSB teacher who currently works at 3 different schools (2 during the day, one in the AM, one in the PM) then teaches adult education 2 evenings per week.

Said teacher does not drive.

She either takes transit or Ubers between locations.

The TDSB does not reimburse her.

How do you address equity, if one teacher gets their parking comped, but the other doesn't get reimbursed their Uber or TTC costs?

I'm with the TDSB, and wholeheartedly support the idea of charging us for parking. No one else in the city is getting free parking, nor should we.
All my workplaces have provided free parking. Granted, not all were in the 416, and none were downtown.

I don't see this being implemented. It's not as easy as charging everyone a set fee for their annual parking pass. Say I'm an occasional auto commuter, will the TCDSB install gates and payment meters? What about supply teachers? This is just smoke to make it look like something is happening and to appease DoFo. I guarantee you that paid parking will not happen - unless the province sells the school's parking lots to private firms so they can sell parking 24/7.

If only there was a technology that would - without the necessity of human toil - let people enter parking lots by tapping some sort of device on a “reader” and having the gate levitate to allow passage, and exit by miraculously sensing the presence of a vehicle. Perhaps in the distant future there will even be a way to charge parking fees on these devices, whether on a monthly basis or for single uses.

All my workplaces have provided free parking. Granted, not all were in the 416, and none were downtown.

I don't see this being implemented. It's not as easy as charging everyone a set fee for their annual parking pass. Say I'm an occasional auto commuter, will the TCDSB install gates and payment meters? What about supply teachers? This is just smoke to make it look like something is happening and to appease DoFo. I guarantee you that paid parking will not happen - unless the province sells the school's parking lots to private firms so they can sell parking 24/7.

I sincerely hope you're wrong.

As for how to convert the lots, to my understanding, teachers already have parking passes in order to use the lots.

You just charge for the pass, and enforce ticket/tow for those who don't have one.

Alternatively, you subcontract to Green P or the like and they recover the cost of a gate over time though take a percentage, hardly a big deal.

As a side note, the one job I had right out of Uni, I worked in north-east Scarborough, we paid for parking. It was cheap ($45 per month, though that was over 20 years ago) ........but I don't ever recall getting 'free' parking.

End free parking everywhere. Whether at school campuses, shopping centres, or office parks. If there is public transit available, there is no need for free parking.

Save the planet.
I’ll just pay for parking. Do you really think charging for parking will push people to transit? I live in Cabbagetown and often shop at the Eaton Centre. Never once have I taken transit there. I drive and pay for parking. If the family is ahead of me I’ll bikeshare to the mall and drive home with the family when they’re done shopping. I don’t take transit unless I must.

The worst thing we can do for the planet is to breed. More people means more stress on the system. Everything else is window dressing.

^True word.
How many kids did you say you had?
I don't have any. No pets either.
Tell us again about what's best for the planet. Best to hear it from those who live by their convictions.

The greatest thing you can do to fix climate change is: Stop having kids!! The growing population is what is causing it. Birthrates have hit a record low in the US since Millennial's aren't having kids or they are having fewer kids than the older generations. Which is great news for mother earth!

Back