News   Apr 16, 2024
 92     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 659     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 469     3 

TCDSB to charge teachers for parking at school lots!

The growth curve has almost been fully bent.

The replacement rate for population is 2.1 births per woman.

The global rate as of last year was down to 2.4

Notable is that nearly 1/2 of all countries world wide are now below replacement rate, including China and Brazil; while India is down to 2.4.

The majority of the higher growth is concentrated in Africa with the odd pocket other pocket in the southern hemisphere.

Its increasingly clear if we spread education to young women and contraception, birth rates decline (duh!).

I think we are within sight of fully bending the curve and beginning to see global population decline beyond 2050

That would be a good thing; though it is important to manage the decline, lest we create larger than needed economic problems.

How about I stop driving a petrol-powered vehicle instead?

Hahaaa.....don't worry, I'm in no danger of impregnating anyone anytime soon. I'ma drive less anyway.

How about I stop driving a petrol-powered vehicle instead?

Hahaaa.....don't worry, I'm in no danger of impregnating anyone anytime soon. I'ma drive less anyway.

NP MT. Buy one of these babies and the ladies will be all over you. Except Catherine McKenna, of course.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/media/wysiwyg/blog_photos/miami_vice02.png

I’d never connected the dots between Extinction Rebellion and the incel movement, but now it all makes so much sense.

I’d never connected the dots between Extinction Rebellion and the incel movement, but now it all makes so much sense.

Nah, mate....that'd be volcel, if anything.

Incels are too stuck in their various basements to care much about the wider world. I mean, I'm not sure they know what's up. There's quite a bit of overlap with flat-earthers there.

For all of you that are saying this is a good thing and that they have been getting away with free parking for too long, I have one question for you... Does any other place of business except their employees to pay out of pocket for supplies to do their job, but not get reimbursed?

For all of you that are saying this is a good thing and that they have been getting away with free parking for too long, I have one question for you... Does any other place of business except their employees to pay out of pocket for supplies to do their job, but not get reimbursed?

What does that have to do w/the price of parking?

We can all agree there are items (both physical and operating) which require more funding in the educational system.

One small way in which such funding can be found is not to give away parking for free.

I will tell you, as someone who has worked with teachers regularly over the years, that the public school (TDSB) teacher's I know all are ok with paying for parking, and worth noting, the teachers I asked,
all drive.

Their list of things they would spend the roughly 20M this would generate for the TDSB is seemingly endless; and in the end, they'd all like to see more tax dollars as well in order to invest in a number of priorities.

But there was a consensus, parking is not one of those priorities.

Last edited:
I pay to park for work. Should I get reimbursed too?

No one else in the city is getting free parking....
Why paint yourself into a corner with such an absolute statement?

I work at Dufferin near Finch and park for free. Lots of work places outside of direct downtown have free parking. I've been driving to work across the city for 23 years now and never once paid to park.

Why paint yourself into a corner with such an absolute statement?

I work at Dufferin near Finch and park for free. Lots of work places outside of direct downtown have free parking. I've been driving to work across the city for 23 years now and never once paid to park.

End free parking everywhere. Help to fight climate change.

End free parking everywhere. Help to fight climate change.
Ending free parking won't fight climate change. I'll just pay the parking, and if I'm a consultant or sole proprietorship I'll just expense it as a cost of business. My car is parked, it's not impacting the climate.

If you want to fight climate change the west needs to put a carbon tax on imports from China, India and other large emitters of GHG. And no I'm not referring to the large per capita ones, but the countries with the most total GHG (of which Canada hardly registers). Yes, that list should include the USA too, but politically that's impossible.

If you want the illusion of fighting climate change, then get me on transit instead of relying on my car to get to work. And you won't persuade or coerce me with parking fees or car ownership fees, I'll just pay them and carry on. No, you'll get me onto transit though offering a clean, rapid and reliable service.

Ending free parking won't fight climate change. I'll just pay the parking, and if I'm a consultant or sole proprietorship I'll just expense it as a cost of business. My car is parked, it's not impacting the climate.

If you want to fight climate change the west needs to put a carbon tax on imports from China, India and other large emitters of GHG. And no I'm not referring to the large per capita ones, but the countries with the most total GHG (of which Canada hardly registers). Yes, that list should include the USA too, but politically that's impossible.

If you want the illusion of fighting climate change, then get me on transit instead of relying on my car to get to work. And you won't persuade or coerce me with parking fees or car ownership fees, I'll just pay them and carry on. No, you'll get me onto transit though offering a clean, rapid and reliable service.

That may well be true for you; if there's anything about you that we all understand here at UT; its that you're a tad stubborn, LOL

However, both studies and my anecdotal experience show price does change the habits of some. This is true with parking as it it and was with smoking.

Not everyone will switch (to transit); indeed it probably won't effect even 1/2 of all drivers; just as rising cigarette prices didn't cause everyone to quit.

However, rising prices will induce some measure of change; and they will also affect those coming up now who are teens and early 20-somethings who don't yet have a license and/or car.

Where perhaps 75% of those today will eventually get both; if you change the price of parking/driving, that number will drop down to 50% or less with time.

Charging for parking isn't mean; its meant to remove an artificial subsidy; most businesses don't buy their workers TTC/GO passes; why should they pay for their parking?

Let them be agnostic; charge the fair/market cost of providing that service; and then let employees figure out which method of travel makes most sense for them; all while benefiting the bottom line and climate at the same time.

I’ll just pay for parking. Do you really think charging for parking will push people to transit? I live in Cabbagetown and often shop at the Eaton Centre. Never once have I taken transit there. I drive and pay for parking. If the family is ahead of me I’ll bikeshare to the mall and drive home with the family when they’re done shopping. I don’t take transit unless I must.

The worst thing we can do for the planet is to breed. More people means more stress on the system. Everything else is window dressing.

^True word.
How many kids did you say you had?
I don't have any. No pets either.
Tell us again about what's best for the planet. Best to hear it from those who live by their convictions.

The greatest thing you can do to fix climate change is: Stop having kids!! The growing population is what is causing it. Birthrates have hit a record low in the US since Millennial's aren't having kids or they are having fewer kids than the older generations. Which is great news for mother earth!

Excessive per capita consumption is a much greater problem. And it makes no sense penalizing people without providing a viable public transit alternative.

Back