News   Mar 28, 2024
 249     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 238     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

Absolutely nothing will happen to Yonge. The powers that be don't want to invest in the city. With the recent downloading by Ford onto the city's shoulders, this project as well as others (Like the John St. corridor) lay by the wayside waiting for a new mayor and council who are willing to invest in city places to make them enjoyable.

Should read:

...this project as well as others (Like the John St. corridor) lay by the wayside waiting for a new Premier and MPP's who are willing to invest in city places to make them enjoyable.

Them too, although it's mostly the city council that controls this area.

I think the most important thing is widening the sidewalks. Then, reducing the car lanes to 1 or 2 lanes, either 1 or 2 way.

I think if we want this area to be for pedestrian, shipping/delivery will need to have access to supply the restaurants and stores.

So maybe some sections with more narrow sidewalk a la how some places have sections for buses to pull over.

I think the most important thing is widening the sidewalks. Then, reducing the car lanes to 1 or 2 lanes, either 1 or 2 way.

I think if we want this area to be for pedestrian, shipping/delivery will need to have access to supply the restaurants and stores.

So maybe some sections with more narrow sidewalk a la how some places have sections for buses to pull over.

Like any pedestrian area there is usually access for delivery vehicles still - just not through traffic.

Don't most of the Yonge Street storefronts have laneways running behind them? If that's not enough, I think early morning deliveries would work just as fine.

For funding, I wonder if the BIA can handle some of the fundraising if the city is strapped for cash.

Don't most of the Yonge Street storefronts have laneways running behind them? If that's not enough, I think early morning deliveries would work just as fine.

For funding, I wonder if the BIA can handle some of the fundraising if the city is strapped for cash.

Not all of them and the problem is the laneways are likely not wide enough to fit most delivery vehicles and still allow vehicles to maneuver.

Another study for Yonge street. More BS. The city should just select one of the many existing studies and do it. Barring that, just fix the sidewalks, put in some proper lighting, add a few benches, paving stones and be done with it. I recall studies and experimental closures that go back to the 1970’s and the city still needs more to mull over? Seriously, just fix the damn street.

Another study for Yonge street. More BS. The city should just select one of the many existing studies and do it. Barring that, just fix the sidewalks, put in some proper lighting, add a few benches, paving stones and be done with it. I recall studies and experimental closures that go back to the 1970’s and the city still needs more to mull over? Seriously, just fix the damn street.

"Just fix the damn street" is exactly what they are doing...

The study is about trying to get buy-in to going beyond that.

please point me to these studies. While people have long discussed changing yonge street, there hasn't been any actual study completed on the matter.

Report to Infrastructure and Environment Ctte updating status of the EA.

A few notes:

Final recommendation will not include cycling facilities, which will instead be on an alternate parallel road, one of University, Bay or Church.

Final Plan will allow vehicles at some times, in order to allow for TTC shuttle buses, as well as garbage/recycle pick-up.

There may be temporal separation. (the centre portion of the road may prohibit cars, at certain times of day, allowing it to be a full pedestrian space, but with access for service vehicles at other times and TTC shuttles as required.

Conflict with access to Green P's Y/D garage will require modifications to access.

CF Eaton Centre expressing concern on the impact to their parking garage.

Report here:

Edit to note: This project is now budgeted, from 2022-2027

Last edited:
Green P's Y/D garage has full moves access off Victoria, it doesn't need Yonge for access. If anything, I would say very few cars use Yonge to access it.

Same with Eaton Centre and their garage - you cannot legally make a turn to or from Yonge Street into their garage today, so why would it matter if there are cars using it or not? The vehicles would have the same amount of access as today, coming from Shuter St.

What would be interesting though is that Shuter St. would become an exclusive access to the Eaton Centre garage.

Back