News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

A complete Sheppard from McCowan to Sheppard West once all the other lines are built is a good idea.
I don't like the loop idea of connecting Sheppard to B-D. I don't think many would go all the way around. I would rather see B-D extended north to Finch. I understand that space was available in the CPR rail yard, so have a subway train yard there - and possibly a Finch station on the north end of this yard. You could likely sell the Greenwood yard for development to help pay for this.
It all goes to what alignment that McCowan Station should be at.
For Sheppard, which I agree could be done after, I like the original plan of it going to Agincourt GO, then heading to STC. As an extension, it could then go to Centennial and UTSC. The question then becomes, should the shell be built now for the STC station on the Sheppard line.

Love that the province plans to finally finish this line and take it to the STC.
I wasn't sure what to think initially about the province getting involved with subways, but after today's announcement, I'm glad they are. GJ imo.

I don't like the loop idea of connecting Sheppard to B-D. I don't think many would go all the way around. I would rather see B-D extended north to Finch. I understand that space was available in the CPR rail yard, so have a subway train yard there - and possibly a Finch station on the north end of this yard. You could likely sell the Greenwood yard for development to help pay for this.
It all goes to what alignment that McCowan Station should be at.
For Sheppard, which I agree could be done after, I like the original plan of it going to Agincourt GO, then heading to STC. As an extension, it could then go to Centennial and UTSC. The question then becomes, should the shell be built now for the STC station on the Sheppard line.
Yes. Or at least get the entire thing to 60 percent design.

The question then becomes, should the shell be built now for the STC station on the Sheppard line.

No beacuse they want the Scaborough Line to go to Mccowan. So thats where they would meet. STC is no longer the final stop on the Scarb line again.

I don't like the loop idea of connecting Sheppard to B-D. I don't think many would go all the way around. I would rather see B-D extended north to Finch.

You still can, after the loop. You can have both a loop and then provision to allow for a spur to come off Mccowan and continue to Finch/Malvern/Zoo etc.

No beacuse they want the Scaborough Line to go to Mccowan. So thats where they would meet. STC is no longer the final stop on the Scarb line again.

You still can, after the loop. You can have both a loop and then provision to allow for a spur to come off Mccowan and continue to Finch/Malvern/Zoo etc.
I wasn't talking about what the current plan is - I was talking about what I think would be better.

Wonder whats going to happen between Yonge and University. Finch extension or the subway westbound to Sheppard West?
Both please. Two different crowds. Hopefully the subway keeps going west. If you live in Vaughan and want to get to the zoo, you have to go all the way to Eglinton to get between the west leg of Line 1 and the east leg of Line 1. Ugh.

If McCowan Station is built as an interchange station and not an inline station, would there be a curve from Sheppard to McCowan that bypasses the station platforms if/when the extension north and east happen?

If McCowan Station is built as an interchange station and not an inline station, would there be a curve from Sheppard to McCowan that bypasses the station platforms if/when the extension north and east happen?
I would guess the Ford plan is to connect Sheppard Line to B-D Line. The station is called McCowan, so I suspect it would be south of the intersection to allow a curve from McCowan to Sheppard. Whether it's too tight for a curve likely hasn't been considered. This would preclude any extension either north or east.

What I proposed was for B-D line is to continue north 450m on McCowan, where it would go into the CPR rail yard. The line would re-surface at the south end of this rail yard - and thankfully that distance does not require a fire exit, so it's basically just the cost of tunnelling (<$100M per km), and it's likely a more convenient (i.e. out-of-the way) place for a TBM launch or extraction site. At the north end of this rail yard, there would be another station at Finch (near Markham Road). I understand CPR wanted to sell this land a while ago, so developers would likely pay for a good part of this extension.
For Sheppard, it would follow the previously approved plan - and if they cobble together some extra money, it would follow Progress Ave. to Centennial and elevated to UTSC.

Back