News   Apr 26, 2024
 0     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 501     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

^ Ah! Possibly Cabbages...I wondered about that. I wonder if they will use the empty space if the prime is removed? I still wonder if VIA has considered that fate for their F40s to use as control cabs with the Siemens Charger the other end? Or this particular pair for ONR control cabs as well as APUs?

^ Ah! Possibly Cabbages...I wondered about that. I wonder if they will use the empty space if the prime is removed? I still wonder if VIA has considered that fate for their F40s to use as control cabs with the Siemens Charger the other end? Or this particular pair for ONR control cabs as well as APUs?

Based on the photo that was posted, it doesn't look like there are any Amtrak style baggage doors on the conductor's side. There is apparently a Diesel HEP genset inside the carbody (I don't know the exact specs though).

And with regards VIA, they won't need any cabbages, since the new Siemens trainsets will all have cab cars. Besides, the VIA F40s still have about ten years left before they'll need to be replaced or receive another major overhaul.

the new Siemens trainsets will all have cab cars.
Indeed, my oversight:
Each trainset will be formed of one locomotive and five coaches, including a driving trailer

I still wonder if the F40s are PH, and the extant APU on the Amtrak ones was usually still usable, it was just the primes that were toast. They may still be usable as Driving Cabs to do push-pull runs, and for flexibility to do switchbacks.

^ It probably doesn't differ; apologies, I don't think I saw that discussion. Either way just wanted to note the media article on the topic.

^ It probably doesn't differ; apologies, I don't think I saw that discussion. Either way just wanted to note the media article on the topic.
Was about a month ago - and it wasn't new then, it was in relation to services to the discussion to Barrie and Orillia. Perhaps it still takes a long time for the new to travel that far north ... :)

Budget update:

^Translation: Studies will continue until morale improves.

(More seriously - that sounds like a review of the whole Ontario Northland mandate).

- Paul

Back