News   Mar 28, 2024
 344     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 356     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 707     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Either way you can see it all starting on the Spadina extension. Was at Finch West yesterday and the accumulation on the floors has begun. Don't need to even inspect that closely to see. Other than the large architecture it will only be a couple more years before its state is like the rest of the system. It is what it is, and the system as a whole is still pretty clean. Though would like more power washers at locations with canopied bus bays.
Yeah! The one that's going to be an absolute disaster well before its time is Pioneer Village, at least for the rust. The claim is that the process binds it to the metal. Far from it. What they've built on that extension is nothing like what's on the southern part of the Spadina leg. Even though it too needs some TLC, Dupont is *still* a gem, and a good power wash would do wonders. Some stations have 'it'. Many don't, but at least keeping them cleaner might help. Some of the ones with an habitual problem are the ones open at one end to the elements.

Los Angeles is well ahead of us!
Subway tunnel washing makes a difference: check out these pics of grime-free tunnel walls
BY STEVE HYMON , APRIL 11, 2013

The clean portion of the wall is on the right; the waiting-to-be-cleaned section on the left.
Crews continue to make progress in the long term tunnel power washing project in the Red and Purple Line tunnels. The above photos show what the walls look like after being cleaned — they're now dust and grime free!

Work began at Union Station and is moving at a pace of roughly 200 feet a night. The cleaning is being done on Sunday through Thursday nights after 9 p.m.; the washing is the reason that Red Line trains are running 20 minutes after p.m. and Purple Line trains are only running between Wilshire/Vermont and Wilshire/Western.

All liquids from the cleaning process are being recaptured and properly disposed of by Metro.
https://thesource.metro.net/2013/04...ck-out-these-pics-of-grime-free-tunnel-walls/

Last edited:
Yeah! The one that's going to be an absolute disaster well before its time is Pioneer Village, at least for the rust. The claim is that the process binds it to the metal. Far from it. What they've built on that extension is nothing like what's on the southern part of the Spadina leg. Even though it too needs some TLC, Dupont is *still* a gem, and a good power wash would do wonders. Some stations have 'it'. Many don't, but at least keeping them cleaner might help. Some of the ones with an habitual problem are the ones open at one end to the elements.

Well, even YorkU and Finch West have the stains and they're not exposed.

Well, even YorkU and Finch West have the stains and they're not exposed.
Don't get me wrong, I mean those with the most loose garbage and dirt blowing around are the ones close to the outside or a short tunnel distance away. The stains are horrendous, and rather than the TTC trying to fix the problem, they paint the ceilings black. Does wonders for the brightness and atmosphere....

Don't get me wrong, I mean those with the most loose garbage and dirt blowing around are the ones close to the outside or a short tunnel distance away. The stains are horrendous, and rather than the TTC trying to fix the problem, they paint the ceilings black. Does wonders for the atmosphere....

I wonder why the TTC has never built cisterns around their stations with water diversion measures. Waterproofing would help as well

https://thesource.metro.net/2013/04...ck-out-these-pics-of-grime-free-tunnel-walls/

Might take a closer look at Dupont, sadly, its in trouble.

Major cracks in the tile work, grout missing, some tiles chipped. The design is timeless, but the work is poorly maintained.

At this point, I think Dupont is beyond cleaning/minor repair, I think you're looking at total re-tile. To duplicate the quality of the original will cost more $$$ than the pols would be happy about spending.

Another product of inadequate maintenance.

Might take a closer look at Dupont, sadly, its in trouble.

Major cracks in the tile work, grout missing, some tiles chipped. The design is timeless, but the work is poorly maintained.

At this point, I think Dupont is beyond cleaning/minor repair, I think you're looking at total re-tile. To duplicate the quality of the original will cost more $$$ than the pols would be happy about spending.

Another product of inadequate maintenance.
Upstairs is a mess, the main entrance is especially, but I've been closely examining downstairs, and it's in pretty good shape! Of course regrouting is necessary, but compared to the condition of many other stations, it's aged very well.

That being said, I'll check yet again next time I do the walk down the Cedarvale and Nordheimer Ravines (same ravine actually, I don't know why they're named differently) with Big Black Lab. We usually get on the subway at Dupont.
I wonder why the TTC has never built cisterns around their stations with water diversion measures. Waterproofing would help as well
Not just for maintenance, but for accidents and leaks alone it would have made perfect sense. It's standard practice in a lot of buildings, especially those with basements below sewer level, to have catch tanks which are then pumped up to the sewers when almost full, so that if there's a gasoline or oil leak, they can hold it before pumping it into the sewers. And that's been the practice for most of my lifetime.

Something's not right about this...

Last edited:

Dupont is certainly up there, in a more low-key humble way. Just upstream think St Clair West doesn't get enough appreciation on these boards. Without being decadent it's fairly ostentatious (for its time and within fiscal reason), and it's our only station with a through-routed LRT. A proper intermodal rail rapid transit station. Good colours, ok lighting, nice balcony to watch trains, then go east-west on one sub-grade line or north-south on another.

Wouldn't be surprised if 407 was our only waterproof membraned station. It's in a mucky mire, and the semi-underground mezzanine with the large window appears to be within the floodplain. Under the right deluge circumstances, and if it wasn't stained glass, that window could effectively become a free aquarium.

By the way, Google Maps refers to St. Clair West Station as having an LRT connection.

Wouldn't be surprised if 407 was our only waterproof membraned station. It's in a mucky mire, and the semi-underground mezzanine with the large window appears to be within the floodplain. Under the right deluge circumstances, and if it wasn't stained glass, that window could effectively become a free aquarium.
What about York Mills station? It's directly under the West Don River.

In all credit to Ronald, he keeps his nose pretty clean there. I'm just up the street. What's filthy about DW is the years of grime, filth from the street, construction and lack of overall cleaning over the years. The station hasn't had a facelift since it was built over fifty years ago. Add the grinding wheels from streetcars and the multitude of dirty diesel buses, not to mention the relentless crush of traffic on Dundas and Bloor, and you get what you get. Add the dirty smokers standing out front flicking their butts wherever. Ronald actually keeps his part reasonably clean.
"Fertility"? Depending on spell check can cause you a world of pain. I find the 'futility' of using them a dirty business, unless the filth is breeding. Runnymede is also over fifty years old. It's pretty grimy from years of accumulation. That being said, like Jane, it's still in good shape functionally, save for the elevators needing to be added.

I'd say it isn't Ronald's fault, I mean, I think it is the grime as you mentioned and I'd failed to mention.

As per Dundas West grime factor, it is slated to disappear into massive redevelopment at that corner. Giraffe have stuck their neck out again to propose another development for the corner, last one rejected. Unfortunately, it looks like Giraffe continues to soil itself. Proposal looks hideous. Whatever, no use reworking Dundas West, densification is inevitable in the next few years above DW.

The question endures. I'll see what I can dig up (pun entirely intentional). I was just thinking of trucks removing contaminated collected run-off, but then the much better option of using rail rolling stock to do it occurred to me. A 'gravy train' of sorts. I wonder how other systems do it?
St Clair West doesn't get enough appreciation on these boards.
I agree! Also Eglinton West, with the the Old Mill approach, half in, half out, albeit the Old Mill's location is superb, but Eg West has some features like Dupont.
What about York Mills station? It's directly under the West Don River.
I thought of that one too last night. I rarely go north of Eglinton on any N-S branch of late...have trouble understanding the local dialects...lol...so I've lost track of the state of repair for those stations. I've never seen the TYSSE or the Sheppard stations. When I go north, I take GO, and get right out of town to do distance cycling. I read that Sheppard was purposely kept non ostentatious to keep costs down, but still designed with character like the older Spadina leg. That might get me up that way, and then cycle down the Don paths just for a short trip. I'm interested to see the stations. Leslie might be the best to get off at.

Edit to Add: Museum, other than the ceiling (what's with the TTC's lack of awareness above?) is a very effective remake of one of the most sterile stations of theirs ever. The colours are warm, the concept of the sculptured columns brilliant. I wonder if outside financing helped with that?

Back