News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It has been reported repeatedly that TTC is sensitive to preservation concerns and intends to make one or more cars available. Personally I don't care to debate which cars get preserved. One might want to examine the body condition before landing on a specific unit, no matter what the relative merit of the units available.

But a more general question that I don't know the answer to.... how does TTC dispose of its vehicles? Is there a periodic tender? Presumably scrap dealers make offers and they go to the highest bidder? Is this a standing bid for all verhicles retired over a period of time, or unit by unit?

Is there a known typical scrap price that applies to CLRV and ALRV retirees? If someone had the cash and cared to go shopping, perhaps for a museum donation, or even (as happened with the PCC's) to procure a chicken coop - will TTC assist?

(Does TTC give Air Miles?)

- Paul

Many transit fans would scoop up buying one, I'm not trying to debate which one will be preserved, but TTC seems to eye 4002, because it was the first one built, and delivered to Toronto, by the wonderful folks in Switzerland.

But a more general question that I don't know the answer to.... how does TTC dispose of its vehicles? Is there a periodic tender? Presumably scrap dealers make offers and they go to the highest bidder? Is this a standing bid for all verhicles retired over a period of time, or unit by unit?

The TTC periodically puts out tenders for the removal and scrapping of vehicles, and there are a handful of known entities who are big enough to dispose of significant fleets of retired transit vehicles in the greater Toronto area.

As part of these tenders, there will usually be included a list of components that the TTC will either remove on their own accord, or require that the winning proponent must remove and return to the TTC. In the past, these have included things like fareboxes, TRUMPs and other components of the CIS installs on the vehicles, destination signs....

Is there a known typical scrap price that applies to CLRV and ALRV retirees? If someone had the cash and cared to go shopping, perhaps for a museum donation, or even (as happened with the PCC's) to procure a chicken coop - will TTC assist?

Another thing that the TTC will frequently do is require that there be no sales of equipment, either in part or a complete vehicle, from the scrappers. If someone were to want to buy a vehicle, they need to approach the TTC themselves. The TTC is willing to work with groups however, and have both sold equipment for approximately scrap value and have even donated vehicles when the situation arises.

Dan

There are some parts of the union contracts which do not make sense when looking at a high-frequency transit line. These need to be changed to reflect the fact that this is high frequency and not a fixed bus schedule. Items such are variable length shifts (your shift ends when the train gets back to the end of the line) should absolutely be discussed.

But the TTC has created a state of disrepair and dirty stations. They have tinkered on the sides but there is no leadership sitting at Davisville that IMO has the skill set to bring it to an adequate level of service. I don't care if it is the province or the city that is running the subway as long as it is clean, the maintenance is better and costs are minimized.

I have traveled all over the world and many cities have integrated systems with multiple entities running various services and it is integrated. Those that see it as the end of the world can look at Hong Kong, London, Berlin, etc as good examples of where this works.

Please just give me a clean station to wait in!!!!

There are some parts of the union contracts which do not make sense when looking at a high-frequency transit line. These need to be changed to reflect the fact that this is high frequency and not a fixed bus schedule. Items such are variable length shifts (your shift ends when the train gets back to the end of the line) should absolutely be discussed.

But the TTC has created a state of disrepair and dirty stations. They have tinkered on the sides but there is no leadership sitting at Davisville that IMO has the skill set to bring it to an adequate level of service. I don't care if it is the province or the city that is running the subway as long as it is clean, the maintenance is better and costs are minimized.

I have traveled all over the world and many cities have integrated systems with multiple entities running various services and it is integrated. Those that see it as the end of the world can look at Hong Kong, London, Berlin, etc as good examples of where this works.

Please just give me a clean station to wait in!!!!

They have already said it is WAY easier to clean Line 1 stations over Line 2 ones, because stations like Keele, High Park, Warden, Victoria Park have the outside air blowing in.

They have already said it is WAY easier to clean Line 1 stations over Line 2 ones, because stations like Keele, High Park, Warden, Victoria Park have the outside air blowing in.

So they know which stations on line 2 are dirty...but they don't then deploy cleaners to them? I have seen surfaces at some stations that have not been cleaned for months. Zero pride of ownership by management and staff..

The TTC knows it is a problem but them does nothing to rectify the situation. Exactly why we need a change! Again either a change of TTC leadership or a change of ownership...any change.

So they know which stations on line 2 are dirty...but they don't then deploy cleaners to them? I have seen surfaces at some stations that have not been cleaned for months. Zero pride of ownership by management and staff..

The TTC knows it is a problem but them does nothing to rectify the situation. Exactly why we need a change! Again either a change of TTC leadership or a change of ownership...any change.

Yep, Line 2 stations are definitely the filithest, the worst being my local station, Dundas West. The trash that people leave after eating McDonalds is a big contributor there.

Yep, Line 2 stations are definitely the filithest, the worst being my local station, Dundas West. The trash that people leave after eating McDonalds is a big contributor there.

Old Mill is similar. There is an issue with braking at the station which leaves the station coated in black brake dust.

It may be that cleaning these stations is an exercise in fertility so they deploy their staff elsewhere.

Old Mill is similar. There is an issue with braking at the station which leaves the station coated in black brake dust.

It may be that cleaning these stations is an exercise in fertility so they deploy their staff elsewhere.

True, but the stations should at least be cleaned once a day, I was at the Loblaws at St Clair and Bathurst today, and there's this touchpad that let's you request cleaning service for the washrooms. How is this on topic ? Maybe they should test pilot one of these at a Line 2 station

In all credit to Ronald, he keeps his nose pretty clean there. I'm just up the street. What's filthy about DW is the years of grime, filth from the street, construction and lack of overall cleaning over the years. The station hasn't had a facelift since it was built over fifty years ago. Add the grinding wheels from streetcars and the multitude of dirty diesel buses, not to mention the relentless crush of traffic on Dundas and Bloor, and you get what you get. Add the dirty smokers standing out front flicking their butts wherever. Ronald actually keeps his part reasonably clean.

"Fertility"? Depending on spell check can cause you a world of pain. I find the 'futility' of using them a dirty business, unless the filth is breeding. Runnymede is also over fifty years old. It's pretty grimy from years of accumulation. That being said, like Jane, it's still in good shape functionally, save for the elevators needing to be added.

In all credit to Ronald, he keeps his nose pretty clean there. I'm just up the street. What's filthy about DW is the years of grime, filth from the street, construction and lack of overall cleaning over the years. The station hasn't had a facelift since it was built over fifty years ago. Add the grinding wheels from streetcars and the multitude of dirty diesel buses, not to mention the relentless crush of traffic on Dundas and Bloor, and you get what you get. Add the dirty smokers standing out front flicking their butts wherever. Ronald actually keeps his part reasonably clean.
"Fertility"? Spell check can cause you a world of pain. I find the 'futility' of using them a dirty business, unless the filth is breeding. Runnymede is also over fifty years old. It's pretty grimy from years of accumulation. That being said, like Jane, it's still in good shape functionally, save for the elevators needing to be added.

I find many of the west end stations have problems with brake dust among other issues.

It used to be better but the Ministry of the Environment put a halt to tunnel washing. There was once a train that would wash the grime off the tunnel walls but the grime was a mix of asbestos, oil, dirt and other bad things.

The Ministry stated that it had to halt since all that crud was running into the drains.

Last edited:
Dundas West is one of the handful of stations that even if clean would still look rough on account of the colour scheme. Grey tiles with a cold green trim, cast under a pall of cool white light. It's pretty dreary, just like its colour counterpart Sherbourne. Castle Frank however is bright and airy with its colour scheme, and pretty clean. However the dirtiest part of the station is interestingly its newest (the second exit which I guess is approaching seven years). A weird contrast though compared with the seemingly cleaner 50yo rest of the station.

Either way you can see it all starting on the Spadina extension. Was at Finch West yesterday and the accumulation on the floors has begun. Don't need to even inspect that closely to see. Other than the large architecture it will only be a couple more years before its state is like the rest of the system. It is what it is, and the system as a whole is still pretty clean. Though would like more power washers at locations with canopied bus bays.

Back