News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 445     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

High Speed Rail: London - Kitchener-Waterloo - Pearson Airport - Toronto

Guelph shouldn't have a HSR station stop to begin with. Also London should not, under any circumstance, be part of GO.
I don't know why Guelph shouldn't have an HSR stop ... looking at European and Asian HSR lines, you see frequent small local HSR stations. But long-distance trains don't stop at some stations at all - you'd only get commuter HSR services.

At the same time, I don't know why you wouldn't have more local service between London and Guelph, for example.

The thing about GO and London isn't that anyone is expecting commuters between London and Toronto, but local commuting from Guelph West in pretty much all combinations of Guelph, Kitchener/Waterloo and London, along with the towns in between has the potential to be significant, is seriously undeserved presently and doesn't even really have a directly parallel expressway. No, full-size train of Bi-Levels aren't ideal here, but this is a real need that isn't going to be served by HSR.

The initial discussion around the HSR project included a Kitchener - London DMU service maintaining local service beyond the end of GO in Kitchener, and this makes a lot of sense, though I've always felt that extending it to Guelph is probably worthwhile for local demand (and that, given the way costs on these things often end up that taking GO all the way to London on the North Mainline, without overlapping service patterns, is probably the best approach is we ever electrify west of Kitchener.

Last edited:
Article released today on the VIA HFR plan. Of note to this thread is that the article states that:

federal studies – which have not been released – included looking at extending the plan through Southwestern Ontario to Windsor, but that would not likely be part of the initial stage of the plan

I did not realize that HFR Phase 2 was even being studied yet. It fits in nicely with comments that PC politicians have made recently regarding replacing HSR with better VIA service.

Here is the original article:
VIA ‘confident’ Ottawa will support new passenger rail lines following $1-billion purchase of new trains

Ugh, Via getting dedicated tracks is just putting a bandaid on the gunshot wound that is the state of passenger rail in Canada. Either go all the way, modernize, and build HSR lines, or don't do it at all.

Article released today on the VIA HFR plan. Of note to this thread is that the article states that:

I did not realize that HFR Phase 2 was even being studied yet. It fits in nicely with comments that PC politicians have made recently regarding replacing HSR with better VIA service.

Here is the original article:
VIA ‘confident’ Ottawa will support new passenger rail lines following $1-billion purchase of new trains
Open government?

Maybe Toronto subways should be planned in the dark as well.

Ugh, Via getting dedicated tracks is just putting a bandaid on the gunshot wound that is the state of passenger rail in Canada. Either go all the way, modernize, and build HSR lines, or don't do it at all.

The new tracks will accommodate trains that were just purchased that can run 200kmh.

200km/h is not super high speed, but its much better than what we have now.

I heard that the HSR project team is officially collapsed in GO.

Merged into GO?

Probably as it should have been from the start- I presume at this state HSR in Ontario will likely just be the exploration of all-day GO RER service to Kitchener-London, or improved express GO service.

I don't think we'll be getting something like the UP Express as a separately branded entity within Metrolinx.

Last edited:
GO Rapid Rail 200kph?

I kind of saw that coming. The new lingo of "Rapid Rail".

This can dovetail with HFR West with the new 200kph VIA trains.

I wonder about that separate brand...

They already have UPX as a quasi separate operating entity with (sort of) premium fares... Renaming UPX and folding HSR into THAT seems like the kind of thing that the ministry would like organizationally.

Look at that stopwatch.. 25 minutes of a coin balanced on edge at 350kph!

Standing ovation to the engineers that built that quality. Chinese is no longer synonymous with crap.

Back