News   Apr 19, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 938     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.6K     2 

High Speed Rail: London - Kitchener-Waterloo - Pearson Airport - Toronto

Sounds like my idea I mentioned a few years ago. Add a small token 225kph(ish) section to a mostly 177kph network, use some bullety EMUs, and call it HSR for marketing's sake.

It'd still be effectively HFR, but with the bare minimum tweaks necessary to be able to toot it as HSR. Essentially 90% HFR speeds with a 10% HSR sprint. Or thereabouts. Wouldn't cost much more, yet be actually potentially more attractive to marketing Canada as having HSR.

(Also, this would also provide a potential upgrade path to a fuller HSR down the road).

This is exactly how I have always said it should be done too. Let's face it, HSR is mostly expensive because of grade separation. So do that only on sections where the return is sound or where access is an issue (in urban areas). I'd argue there's a good case to be made for fully segregated and separated corridors from Toronto to Kitchener and Ottawa to Montreal. The rest can be proper signalized intersections with the train running at ~170 kph.

It's okay if London runs at 1:45, as long as Toronto-Kitchener is an hour. Likewise, it's okay if Toronto-Ottawa takes 3 hrs, if Ottawa-Montreal can be brought down to about an hour.

What would be better, this or mass GO expansion? I would prefer both.

TBH, given track access and dictatorial powers I'd electrify the existing North Mainline without building new corridors or eliminating stops and operate it through Metrolinx (not necessarily GO all the way to London), and redirect all the Windsor and Sarnia trains to the South, with proper frequent service, at least hourly to Windsor with an extension to Detroit (frankly I'm willing for VIA to pay to reopen Michigan Central if it comes to it, so long as we can get all customs handled in off the train in Detroit).

An ongoing environmental assessment for the project will continue, but the Progressive Conservatives say they're expanding the scope of their studies to determine if other options, such as increased Via Rail service, more bus capacity or improved highway infrastructure, would work better.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/high-speed-rail-1.4915058

Does this remind me of anything?

Latest email update from the citizens group who was advocating for an expanded EA.

InterCityRail
Improving rail transportation is a good idea. Let’s look at all the options.
Hi Everyone

We have been informed by Jeff Yurek, the Minister of Transportation, that the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) has been instructed to add alternatives to HSR to the Environmental Assessment.

MTO will now be able to consider alternative modes (possibilities may include GO Transit, VIA Rail and Regional Express Rail) instead of just 250 kph high-speed trains. MTO will also be able to consider alternative routes (possibilities may include the existing CN North and CN South corridors, Highway 401/403/407 transportation corridors, etc.) instead of just the Hydro One right of way between Baden and the southeast corner of London. Reports have stated that the impact on rural communities and farmland will now also be considered.

This does not mean that HSR is dead. What it means is that HSR, as well as other options, must be evaluated by the MTO.

We will continue to closely monitor developments and do whatever we can to provide input to the MTO so that an evidenced-based solution — one that serves the needs of all citizens, communities, and the environment — will be found for passenger rail transportation in southwestern Ontario. We will keep you posted on new developments.
Regards

Steering Committee.

Our mailing address is:

1291 Bean Rd.
New Hamburg, ON
N3A 2X1​

Guelph shouldn't have a HSR station stop to begin with. Also London should not, under any circumstance, be part of GO. No one from London commutes to Toronto and the current VIA service would be just as fast which in and of itself is pathetic. If GO comes to London it should be just GO buses as God knows the bus is faster which is why so many Londoners still take the Greyhound.

For London, just improve the current southern corridor, build the crucial Brantford by-pass and run express Win/Lon/Union express trains using high-speed rail diesel.

Back