Toronto Chelsea Green (was 33 Gerrard) | 297.25m | 90s | Great Eagle | a—A

Also a fun fact - Aura Tower was one of the first (the first?) projects to go to a Toronto Design Review Panel.

Chelsea Green also went to the DRP for Rezoning but not sure if they were commenting on the architecture so much as urban design aspects of the greater scheme.

The Design Review Panel (DRP) is comprised of private sector design professionals – architects, landscape architects, urban designers and engineers – who provide independent, objective advice to city staff aimed at improving matters of design that affect the public realm.

I would argue that a lot of UT staff are the "private sector design professionals". At least I would certainly think that they are more qualified than some of the utter incompetency we see coming out of a lot of DRPs. So why isn't UT staff actively getting onto these DRP panels and pushing for sensible designs with good architecture, unlike what the current DRPs are doing? I'm looking at you, @interchange42 ;)

So why isn't UT staff actively getting onto these DRP panels and pushing for sensible designs with good architecture, unlike what the current DRPs are doing? I'm looking at you, @interchange42

Because we spend a lot of time running UT.

Perhaps some UTers would be interested to hear what it is like to sit through a DRP process on an official basis. My apologies if this is too long or seems irrelevant.

I was once the “proponent” of a small but rather complex project in another jurisdiction and sat at the table beside our architect during a hearing of the area DRP. The proponent is basically the person who would sign the cheques for the project. I was firmly instructed not to say anything or even to show any visible reactions to anything that was said but to leave all responses to our architect. I followed these instructions (not easy for a mouthy guy like me) but certainly had a front row seat for the proceedings. It was a fascinating experience.

The panel members had clearly done their homework before the meeting. They listened attentively to our presentation and approved our overall concept but had certain critiques of the way the main part of our project “read.” As I listened to the proceedings, I realized the critique was well founded and clearly articulated. One panel member offered a criticism of a particular sustainability feature that I thought was ill-considered but the rest of the panel disagreed and the matter was easily dropped.

After the session, our architect was a little miffed after receiving the critique from less senior practitioners but he went back to the drawing board to alter the design in line with the panel’s main suggestion. The result was, in my opinion, a considerable improvement. The resulting structure was in the end both eminently useable and aesthetically striking. In fact, the head of an American institution found it so beautiful that he contacted me recently to ask about the process of getting the structure designed and built.

As a result, I have very positive feelings about the DRP process. Though it would be difficult with irresponsible panel members, I don’t see why a Toronto. DRP would necessarily be a worse experience.

Well then they must be sleeping the last several years allowing several bland glass slabs all over the city and not holding Concord to accountable

Engagement with the DRP is voluntary and its feedback is non-binding. And there are some wonderfully creative and accomplished individuals on both the City and Waterfront TO DRPs.

Don’t like the designs you’re seeing in the city? Write and call the developers. Be among the first on comment threads on their Twitter accounts. Attend public consultations and voice support for the densification and decry the blandness of the designs.

Don't forget 8 Elm will be somewhere in the back side of this development
  • Height is 84 storeys and 247.5 metres (excluding the mechanical penthouse; project data sheet gives a full height of 260 metres).
Well maybe after the chop it might end up at 74s/230 meters

Engagement with the DRP is voluntary and its feedback is non-binding. And there are some wonderfully creative and accomplished individuals on both the City and Waterfront TO DRPs.

Don’t like the designs you’re seeing in the city? Write and call the developers. Be among the first on comment threads on their Twitter accounts. Attend public consultations and voice support for the densification and decry the blandness of the designs.
Couldn't agree more. This forum has become filled with whiners who would be better served if they spent even a fraction of the calories they burn groaning in this forum, and redirected it to the social media accounts that could actually influence a change.

Heard from someone in the hotel industry that the Chelsea will close only in 2022, so this project won’t be completed until maybe 2026.

Makes sense - they just renovated some of the areas last year.

AoD
Hmm? yes they did but then again some of this huge building is vacant...i predict they'll build it in phases with the last phase being the taller tower replacing the more recent built Chelsea hotel tower, also by that time the new 31 storey hotel tower replacement should be close to being built

Last edited:
^I guess they will have to demolish the entire building first and then build in phases?

Is there any chance that they will change this new rendering into something better ? Because it's project doesn't have the WOW ! Factor it looks cheap !

Back