News   May 28, 2024
 270     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Ron Taverner to head the OPP. Though I am not surprised that Ford seems to have managed to get an old friend to head the OPP I was surprised that he is 72. Do neither the Toronto Police Service nor the OPP have retirement ages?

Ron Taverner jumped 3 ranks in order to qualify for the job. I have it from a very reliable source that the rank and file think he is woefully ill equipped to lead such a large force and they are certainly not happy about it. This is a job certainly not suited for a 72 yr old man who barely could manage his patch without serious finger pointing of certain favours that was extended to the FOfam.

Ron Taverner to head the OPP. Though I am not surprised that Ford seems to have managed to get an old friend to head the OPP I was surprised that he is 72. Do neither the Toronto Police Service nor the OPP have retirement ages?

Mandatory retirement has largely been retired in Canada.

Yes, rightly so but I assumed police still have to meet physical standards etc. Not that 72 year olds can't but ..... I find it interesting that his predecessor as Commissioner of OPP just retired, at age 56!
He'll bring just the fresh-faced perspective on policing that Ontario needs! I'm all for ending ageism but who at 72 wants to start a high pressure new job? This is all about rewards, like the top jobs in the USSR Politburo going to loyal old Bolsheviks.

He'll bring just the fresh-faced perspective on policing that Ontario needs! I'm all for ending ageism but who at 72 wants to start a high pressure new job? This is all about rewards, like the top jobs in the USSR Politburo going to loyal old Bolsheviks.

Of course a fresh faced perspective around the Ford kitchen table is just what Ontario needs. Good old times! When I wrote that the rank and file are not pleased with this appointment it means trouble on the force. Fantino was the most hated chief and the OPP was jubilant when he came to TO. There will be resistance as Taverner jumped 3 ranks overnight when others much more qualified were ignored in this so called independent process.

Back