News   Mar 28, 2024
 111     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 177     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 250     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Is the Yonge Street Rapidway going to be two curb lanes or in the middle of the road?

Might just be me but, until there is some better prioritization on Yonge North of Finch Viva gets totally kneecapped, take a look at the congestion at Steeles:

What is the riding experience on Hwy 7? Does it have to wait at the lights?

Might just be me but, until there is some better prioritization on Yonge North of Finch Viva gets totally kneecapped, take a look at the congestion at Steeles

The plan there is still to build the subway, so there's not much value for money in building a busway that'll be obsolete 10-20 years after it's built.

Given how long it takes for a subway to get from talk to actual construction, they probably do have time to get their money's worth out of it.
Hypothetically, if the Yonge Rapidway was extended (or not cancelled) from Hwy 7 to Finch, the Will still be people at Yonge and Steeles standing at the interesection watching 10s of Viva and YRT buses pass by while waiting for their TTC bus. The fact still remains that people will wait or even walk for a TTC bus instead of taking YRT and TTC. Fare integration and proper advertising is necessary to remove this inefficiency.

Especially how long it will take to get the DRL built first. The YNE is likely decades away.

"built" isn't the right word; funded is better. Construction isn't the fastest but still far shorter than getting to that point.

It is possible to build SCC, Yonge North, and DRL roughly simultaneously; 2 years between start times to allow for continuous tunneling by 4 TBMs.

Of course, we need to order TBMs first which could be done immediately if Ford had an interest in building subways rather than an interest in winning elections via misleading statements.

Last edited:
Picture of the construction on Yonge Street:

https://www.newmarkettoday.ca/local...rce=Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email

20181221yongestgk02.jpg

Wow holy visual pollution Batman
lol...it's almost like a cartoon depicting exactly that. And people think me odd for not wanting to cycle up through those regions. I do distance to escape exactly that!

It's an amazingly good shot though, and it speaks nightmare...

Well, it'll look much neater after the construction is complete. The Highway 7 and Newmarket Rapidways look decent. Yet I ardently wish the municipalities would bury the utility wires and plant as many trees as possible to make our streets appear more appealing. And add midrise development closer to the road to attenuate the barren, windswept effect of wide suburban roads.

Last edited:

Back