TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Getting ready for 2019 reconstruction!

Notice of Intended Procurement
ecblank.gif
Call number: Notice287-2018
Commodity:
Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:
For: The Queensway from Parkside Drive to Triller Avenue (King/Queen/Roncesvalles)
For: The Queensway from Parkside Drive to Triller Avenue (King/Queen/Roncesvalles.

Reconstruction of Queensway from Parkside Bridge, including the bridge to King Street West, Roncesvalles from Queen Street West to Harvard Avenue, Queen Street West from Roncesvalles Avenue to Triller Avenue and King Street West from Queen Street West to 250m south. Works include full road reconstruction, bridge deck and abutment repairs, remove and replace sewer and watermain, remove and replace TTC streetcar track, traffic signals, sidewalk and related appurtenances
Issue date: November 2, 2018
ecblank.gif
Closing date: December 6, 2018
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:
Attachment
pdf.gif
287-2018 NOIP.pdf (88 Kbytes) - Posted on 11/02/2018 08:47:27 AM
The addenda and/or other files listed above are included with the Call Document purchase price but must be downloaded as separate documents. To view the document, click on its filename. To save it to your workstation, right-click on the document's filename,then select "Save Target As..." (or "Save Link As...").

Commissioners Street, where the sinkhole occurred, is part of the Port Lands / Don Lands redevelopment. See link.

haha Thanks but I'm aware of the plan. Just thought the current visual was a hilarious (depressing) symbol for the city's priorities in general.

Getting ready for 2019 reconstruction!

Notice of Intended Procurement
ecblank.gif
Call number: Notice287-2018
Commodity:
Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:
For: The Queensway from Parkside Drive to Triller Avenue (King/Queen/Roncesvalles)
For: The Queensway from Parkside Drive to Triller Avenue (King/Queen/Roncesvalles.

Reconstruction of Queensway from Parkside Bridge, including the bridge to King Street West, Roncesvalles from Queen Street West to Harvard Avenue, Queen Street West from Roncesvalles Avenue to Triller Avenue and King Street West from Queen Street West to 250m south. Works include full road reconstruction, bridge deck and abutment repairs, remove and replace sewer and watermain, remove and replace TTC streetcar track, traffic signals, sidewalk and related appurtenances
Issue date: November 2, 2018
ecblank.gif
Closing date: December 6, 2018
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:
Attachment
pdf.gif
287-2018 NOIP.pdf (88 Kbytes) - Posted on 11/02/2018 08:47:27 AM
The addenda and/or other files listed above are included with the Call Document purchase price but must be downloaded as separate documents. To view the document, click on its filename. To save it to your workstation, right-click on the document's filename,then select "Save Target As..." (or "Save Link As...").
This area is going to be a full fledged zoo, even more so compared to regular Toronto standards.

I would advise anyone who usually takes to 501 east of Humber to not even touch that route if they can avoid it.

This area is going to be a full fledged zoo, even more so compared to regular Toronto standards.

I would advise anyone who usually takes to 501 east of Humber to not even touch that route if they can avoid it.
The car folks are going to really hate this intersection once all the work is done. No place to jump in front of a streetcar as there will be built out platforms on both side of Queen on the east side of the intersection. That nice right turning lane going east on Queen to King will be gone. Only allow to make a U-Turn at only 2 intersection along the Queensway, west of the intersection to Parkside.

It will be interesting how traffic and transit will operate in this area, especially when all the tracks into and out of the yard are replace. Lots of single lane of traffic for everyone. I expect that the eastbound platform will be remove since it will cease to exist after the work is done to allow traffic going westbound to use it.

As noted, once work has started going to be a zoo in all direction and need to look at another option to bypass the area.

At the end of the day, transit will still move slowly through the intersection area.

I'm guessing all streetcars will terminate at Dufferin Loop in the west, with shuttle buses for the remainder of the route avoiding the construction zone and heading up Roncesvalles.
There's no other choice. Though hopefully the Roncs/King work and on Queen West won't take anywhere near as long as the bridge work over Parkside.

There'll be some ugly 501 detouring too - I'd guess counter-clockwise down Dufferin/King/Shaw. If they have any sense they'll close Dufferin to cars from the Gardiner to Queen to keep streetcars moving (they won't).

Hang on - "including the bridge to King Street West". What is that? Is there some old structure hidden there from our ancient past?

Another year-long bustitution for 501? What are the impacts on 504?

- Paul

There should only be relatively minor issues - a several week closure - on the 504 as they rebuild the intersection. That, and whatever traffic flow that happens to divert around that particular section of the Queensway. Otherwise, there should be no affects.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Hang on - "including the bridge to King Street West". What is that? Is there some old structure hidden there from our ancient past?
I re-read that a number of times, and couldn't make sense of that.

I know the area well. I'm looking for a map to detail the work, it's much easier than trying to translate written descriptions.
It will be interesting how traffic and transit will operate in this area, especially when all the tracks into and out of the yard are replace. Lots of single lane of traffic for everyone. I expect that the eastbound platform will be remove since it will cease to exist after the work is done to allow traffic going westbound to use it.
there will be built out platforms on both side of Queen on the east side of the intersection. That nice right turning lane going east on Queen to King will be gone. Only allow to make a U-Turn at only 2 intersection along the Queensway, west of the intersection to Parkside.
Sounds a lot more involved than this:
There should only be relatively minor issues - a several week closure - on the 504 as they rebuild the intersection.
Anyone have a link to a TTC/City Roads site with diagrams and/or description?

The City one is wholly inadequate in detail. https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/ca...87F98525833900464363/$file/287-2018 NOIP.pdf

Last edited:
There were plans for new bridges (including a wider pedestrian Roncesvalles bridge) between the Humber River and Dufferin Street, with Lake Shore Blvd. West realigned closer to the north. However, the Ford brothers put a stop to those plans.

I re-read that a number of times, and couldn't make sense of that.

I know the area well. I'm looking for a map to detail the work, it's much easier than trying to translate written descriptions.

Sounds a lot more involved than this:

Anyone have a link to a TTC/City Roads site with diagrams and/or description?

The City one is wholly inadequate in detail. https://wx.toronto.ca/inter/pmmd/calls.nsf/0/698C7257966E87F98525833900464363/$file/287-2018 NOIP.pdf
I only highlight what the traffic will be like after construction. What going to take place during construction is something else.

All TTC tracks and switches will be rebuilt not only for the intersection, but also the yard, Sunnyside Loop and tracks to Parkside Dr. Bump out platforms on both side of Queen east of Roncesvalles, as well on Roncesvalles, on the north side of Queen. All the overhead will be rebuilt to support the Pans.

The road will be rebuilt after all new infrastructure is install, that will see the removal of the current Queensway to King turning lane and the removal of the current TTC platform.

TTC can't lay tracks until the road is rebuilt, as well for the new ROW.

Its my understanding that the current TTC northbound stop on King at Queen on the south side of Queen is to be remove once the intersection is back in service. I don't see any ramp area for stop now, unless I miss it. Then it could happen during the rebuilt.

As for the bridge, it supposed to be the walkway from the Queensway to the Lake Shore as well Parkside overpass.

The city is not inadequate in the notice, as it only highlights what been requested and standard practices. The full detail of the work show up in the tender package that includes all the engineering drawings in detail, as well the specifications for the work. It maybe wrong to those who don't know how tenders are call for in the first place.

I may have been asleep but I just noticed that on many (but not all) buses they now list what is, I assume, the operator's # on the next stop announcement panel. (OP ID# 999999). Not quite sure why customers really care but ....

Last edited:
Wow, Rick Leary actually made a quasi-public appearance? Looks like he's taking the one small baby foot step approach with the public.

That or he genuinely doesn't want anyone to know he's the TTC's CEO before the public eviscerates him.

I may have been asleep but I just noticed that on many (but not all) buses they now list what is, I assume, the operator's # on the next stop announcement panel. (OP ID# 999999). Not quite sure why customers really care but ....
It's part of the TTC's new bus communication system. You'll be seeing that on all buses once the installation of the new system is complete.

Back