News   Apr 26, 2024
 447     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 354     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Given how much the Line 2 trains seem to back up approaching both Kipling and Kennedy during peak, I'm taking that current 2.5 minute design with a grain of salt!
The problems at Kennedy and Kipling aren't a problem with the station design (there is only 3 ways to design a terminal station). Its a scheduling problem that backs up service at these locations. Unfortunately the TTC is less then stellar at scheduling and even less so keeping to those schedules be it intentional or not.

The problems at Kennedy and Kipling aren't a problem with the station design (there is only 3 ways to design a terminal station). Its a scheduling problem that backs up service at these locations. Unfortunately the TTC is less then stellar at scheduling and even less so keeping to those schedules be it intentional or not.

It is a terminal issue really, there is a finite number of trains that can pass through a terminal station in a given period. You have to remember that the trains have to pull in completely, the crew has to switch ends to go back the other way and you also have to wait for the signal system to set the switch for departure.

You cannot pull into the station, offload and throw it into reverse.. there are procedures and protocols to follow leading to dwell times in stations.

Only one Flexity can fit on the 504 (or 505) platform at Broadview. To easily handle current demand, there'd never be bunching; even with the new 504 service pattern I've seen bunched 504s on Broadview in both directions (and a lot more 15-minute gaps than I used to see!). They need to be able to fit 2 or 3 Flexitys at Broadview so they can schedule recovery time.
Step back crewing at the subway stations could achieve some reduction in bunching and keep expensive streetcars moving. Bonus if it reduces on street operator changes. Capital works may still be required, but with significant impacts to service/bustitution while they were ongoing not to mention the whining if car park space is sacrificed.

It is a terminal issue really, there is a finite number of trains that can pass through a terminal station in a given period. You have to remember that the trains have to pull in completely, the crew has to switch ends to go back the other way and you also have to wait for the signal system to set the switch for departure.

This might have changed recently, but during peak hours they usually have a new crew waiting to get on the train as soon as it pulls into the terminal station. Every crew gets a short break at the terminals.

If there was a wye, then there'd be a fewer people changing at Yonge-Bloor from Line 2, as they'd be more likely to stay on their train, and go around the loop. This would have reduced the dwell time at Yonge-Bloor station allowing for increased frequency on Line 1.

I don't think that is the case at all. A lot of people who are heading to Union and King every morning do this already. Just because the interline exists doesn't mean that people will ride all of the way to Dundas. And then there's still going to be the issue of getting on the right train to do it.

Of course, this is all moot now that they build the Spadina extension.

Agreed.

Given how much the Line 2 trains seem to back up approaching both Kipling and Kennedy during peak, I'm taking that current 2.5 minute design with a grain of salt!

Design doesn't mean that they do it all the time - simply that if everything is perfect that they can. There are so many other operational issues that prevent them from meeting the scheduled headway on a daily basis.

The SELTRAC system on the SRT is capable of operating headways as short as 90 seconds. Again, that doesn't mean that they do run trains every 90 seconds.

Only one Flexity can fit on the 504 (or 505) platform at Broadview. To easily handle current demand, there'd never be bunching; even with the new 504 service pattern I've seen bunched 504s on Broadview in both directions (and a lot more 15-minute gaps than I used to see!). They need to be able to fit 2 or 3 Flexitys at Broadview so they can schedule recovery time.

I'm not as familiar with Dundas West, so I won't comment further.

I was at Broadview this past weekend, and I'll retract my comment slightly - it is impossible with the current configuration to have 2 Flexities service the King platform. However if they were to modify the track layout only a little bit - widen out the curve exiting the King platform and have the trailing switch from both platforms on Erindale rather than on the station property - they could lengthen the platform at Broadview so that 2 Flexities could be on the King platform. This could also allow a platform extension to the Dundas platform to allow it to handle 2 Flexities as well.

Dundas West would be far easier, as all that would be required is to move the walkway leading to the Dundas platform back about 50 feet and move the stopping position forward about 30 feet. That would place it between two Flexities, both serving the King platform. The Dundas platform is somewhat shorter at Dundas West, so it would be a bit more difficult - but not impossible - to have it service 2 Flexities.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

"Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" "Jack!" ...

TTC being swallowed up by a road that has no sidewalks, bike lanes, or rail. If that doesn't mirror how the city prioritizes their roads for cars over transit, I don't know what does :p

TTC being swallowed up by a road that has no sidewalks, bike lanes, or rail. If that doesn't mirror how the city prioritizes their roads for cars over transit, I don't know what does :p

Commissioners Street, where the sinkhole occurred, is part of the Port Lands / Don Lands redevelopment. See link.

commercial.jpg

From link.

Commissioners Street, where the sinkhole occurred, is part of the Port Lands / Don Lands redevelopment. See link.

commercial.jpg

From link.
Let's hope they don't swallow streetcars. It's bad enough already having to deal with the loss of the 514, we don't need people to get even more skeptical about streetcars in the Portlands.

Let's hope they don't swallow streetcars. It's bad enough already having to deal with the loss of the 514, we don't need people to get even more skeptical about streetcars in the Portlands.
Don't worry, as you will not see tracks until 2030-2040 at this time. Cars and buses will pat down the extra land that has to be built upon the existing Portland Land. Everything east of the Donway will remain at current level, but roads will be beef up as well infrastructure.

Hopefully, the water-mains, sewers, natural gas lines, electrical, communications, will be placed under the rightmost traffic lanes, of the Port Land streets.

Back