News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 403     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

My parents live in North Pickering. Yes, Pickering. No gas, no water, no sewage, no internet better than DSL. In 2018. Like, you can see the towers of Scarborough from their place.
All with ridiculously high suburban property tax rates, no less! Great value for money there.

North Pickering! Is that on land leased back from the federal government forcibly purchased in the 1970s for the airport?

Doug Ford has confirmed that they will be getting rid of Bill 148 when asked about it in question period.

The question begins at 30m:20s into this video:

https://www.680news.com/2018/10/02/ontario-scrapping-bill-148/

Premier Doug Ford says his government will be scrapping Bill 148, and that could impact Ontarians who are part-time workers.

The bill, which was passed under the previous Liberal government, includes rules that mandate part-time employees be paid the same rate as full-time employees for the same job.

The bill also forced employers to give workers at least 10 ‘personal emergency leave days’ — two of them paid days.

“We’re getting rid of Bill 148. We’re going to make sure we protect the front-line workers because 60,000 people lost their jobs under Bill 148,” Ford said the legislature on Tuesday.

The premier said the existing bill “put us in more debt that we’ve every had, the largest subnational debt in the entire world … thanks to the Liberal government.”

“We’re going to make sure we tell the world Ontario is open for business. We’re going to make sure we’re competitive around the world.”

After Question Period, when Jim Wilson — the minister of economic development, job creation and trade — was asked if the province will be cancelling all parts of Bill 148, he said a final decision has yet to be made.

Doug Ford has confirmed that they will be getting rid of Bill 148 when asked about it in question period.

The question begins at 30m:20s into this video:

https://www.680news.com/2018/10/02/ontario-scrapping-bill-148/

This could be very unfortunate.

Though the FT/PT item may not cause as much harm as some fear, because there were sufficient loopholes and work-arounds I'm not sure it ever helped that many in the first place, and it never applied to benefits.

I think the paid sick days, while inadequate, were a move in the right direction.

Considering that subsequently Quebec matched the 2 paid sick days, but also Michigan and Mass and NJ have all passed paid sick day laws offering substantially more than 2 days, one can not reasonably call this a competitiveness concern.

They gained a clear majority.

Of course. I didn't at all laugh when the CBC had a screen up that said 38% of votes and Majority Government side-by-side.

Shit man, I almost failed advanced algebra and geometry in Grade 12, but I made it that far at least. I think I know what a majority of voters looks like.

This could be very unfortunate.

Though the FT/PT item may not cause as much harm as some fear, because there were sufficient loopholes and work-arounds I'm not sure it ever helped that many in the first place, and it never applied to benefits.

I think the paid sick days, while inadequate, were a move in the right direction.

Considering that subsequently Quebec matched the 2 paid sick days, but also Michigan and Mass and NJ have all passed paid sick day laws offering substantially more than 2 days, one can not reasonably call this a competitiveness concern.

So, no confirmation yet if they are going to be doing away with the increase to paid holiday time?

What a bunch a crap....all while claiming to be sticking up for workers and businesses. My balls.

The smartest businesses already give their workers enough time off and decent pay, without regulatory imposition. These goons are in it to protect the greedy.

Holding minimum wage at $14 but promising undefined potential future tax breaks for these poor people whilst scrapping the universal income project. Yeah, ok, let me just keep eating KD while you guys figure this shit out.

That's not standing up for the taxpayer. That's making the taxpayer's life harder. Unless Ford et al think poor workers don't pay taxes. Is that it?

And where's this particular taxpayer's slice of fairness? When will wealthier people pay their fair share? When will their unneeded entitlements and tax breaks be eliminated?
What, we're going to pick on poor workers while leaving the middle class to pay for everyone else's perks and do nothing about the wealthy getting wealthier ON OUR BACKS?

This government's as bad a joke as the last one we had.

Back