Toronto Valhalla Town Square | 131.36m | 44s | Edilcan | IBI Group

I'm frustrated with the scale of development myself but, you tend to complain over everything. When was the last time you posted about something that agreed with you?

Tower renewal may as well sit on a shelf collecting dust. It's not needed. Rental towers are being renovated in almost all corners of the city. There's dozens of development in various stages to intensify tower in a park communities. There hasn't been this much interest in rental housing in a long time from investors. There's no subsidies being offered like the post war boom 50 years ago either.

I would not want to live on The East Mall. It is used has an alternative to 427 when it gets busy, with cars flying at 90km+. Retail and a more urban built form might help stop some of that (with more stops/lights).

This project does come with retail at ground level, I should remind people, even if it doesn't face The East Mall (the issue being that this project is not located on The East Mall). Any particular project can only go so far in renovating the urban realm, and so the condition of The East Mall here is not likely going to change much fo decades. At least residents of Valhalla Town Square, plus the three earlier Valhalla phases, and in fact anyone else within walking distance—will have a few shops they can walk to once this project is up.

Some people like having cars, and living in places where they can use them (not me ) but for those that like that lifestyle this is a good spot.

Yeah there is easy access to the Subway, Highways that go in all different directions and a lot of jobs nearby.

I would say the 427 corridor is likely ripe for a ton of future development imo.

I'm sceptical of the air quality near the 427.
It's bad, but not as bad as it is for those living just down the highway around Sherway. Those people are breathing in a nice cesspool of pollutants daily:

o-TORONTO-AIR-QUALITY-MAP-900.jpg

It's bad, but not as bad as it is for those living just down the highway around Sherway. Those people are breathing in a nice cesspool of pollutants daily:

o-TORONTO-AIR-QUALITY-MAP-900.jpg
I'm going to page @Northern Light for his insight here, but I think there should be some sort of City Planning policy that mandates many many more trees be planted in all developments along the 427 corridor than typical.

Would that be an effective measure to combat the air quality of the area?

I'm going to page @Northern Light for his insight here, but I think there should be some sort of City Planning policy that mandates many many more trees be planted in all developments along the 427 corridor than typical.

Would that be an effective measure to combat the air quality of the area?

So far as I know, currently, there are no municipal policies or provincial ones that target tree plantings (public or private) based on combating pollution/particulate matter or the urban heat island. (or that matter even augmenting biodiversity). By and large planting policies, where they exist, are opportunistic, rather than strategic.

The province does have a policy of planting trees on rural farm area 400-series highways ever since the big snow-out on 403 a few years ago near Sarnia.

They now have a policy to plant double-rows of White Spruce to create a barrier to drifting snow.

But no similar mandate exists for urban highways for that or any other reason.

The MTO used to have a mandate to consider pollution and aesthetics when re-doing interchanges. You can see a few that got fairly dense forest treatments in past years.

That policy was canned almost 2 decades ago during a round of provincial cutbacks.

In respect of private development, the City's base-level policies are focused on retaining or replacing trees removed for development (3 for 1), protecting and enhancing ravine areas, stream bank stability protection, and meeting
targets for storm-water run off and permeability.

There aren't, for the most part, tree planting targets for any given development (though, streetscape plans may dictate this in some cases).

There is certainly no geography based idea of requiring greater tree planting of a developer because of greater need in a given area, nor is there any similar focus/target on public sector lands.

In terms of gaining a critical mass of trees in this section of the City, the best opportunity lies in Centennial Park in Etobicoke; and Clairville Conservation area by Brampton.

Both could easily supports several hectares and more than 100ha respectively of additional forest without removing any existing community amenities. Though I'm all for targeting redevelopment or existing parking areas in big box land and at Sherway; but you won't get as many trees on those sites as the parklands I noted and costs will be greater.

Dec 20
More up on site.
Going to early April/May before the north end is at grade 100%. The first quarter of tower 1 is at grade, with a 2nd quarter in early Jan.
32541811268_5c7c917e50_b.jpg

31474241467_9a8bc68bc1_b.jpg

44596986620_2209b6e317_b.jpg

46363036052_9c8494b7dc_b.jpg

46363044042_fc43577e02_b.jpg

46363048852_77dd07cb51_b.jpg

45501372195_a340f19293_b.jpg

32541883568_7e557b3d50_b.jpg

32541885858_6cffb6861c_b.jpg

46413755391_465bc5fa22_b.jpg

46413758631_09cb6297ff_b.jpg

46413761061_c858f90840_b.jpg

46413761061_c858f90840_b.jpg

46363093262_9f00edc4c7_b.jpg

45501394105_5065963d2d_b.jpg

32541816088_894324d0f8_b.jpg

Reactions: PMT
Just joined this Forum, glad this exists. I like the pictures, please keep updating. I did register myself for a 2 bedroom condo (26th) floor as an investment property. Thanks again for the pictures!!

Back