News   May 03, 2024
 185     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 156     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 102     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Hey Mayor Tory, instead of bothering with loud car exhaust, how about ridding the downtown of litter, graffiti, vagrants, beggars and addicts?

That's a better project for the mayor to champion than noisy mufflers.

Why does it have to be a choice between one or the other? That you yourself happen to be a motorcycle owner is probably the real reason why you are annoyed at Tory's efforts on excessive noise.

Last edited:
It's a question of Chicken and Egg. They're downtown because we've surrendered the core to the homeless industrial complex. It should be broken up, and shelters and services should be spread across the city, and ideally across the province, so that as best as possible, those in need can get it where they came from. And refugees should be housed by the Feds.

As for faster fixes...... leave the homeless, but tackle the filth and neglect downtown. Remove garbage and litter, take down shanties and rubbish piles. Clean up the city downtown. Demand that TPS enforce laws against roadside panhandling. That's a better project for the mayor to champion than noisy mufflers.

Well the city was planning to house homeless people at a new shelter at the corner of Royal York and Eglinton in the middle of tony central Etobicoke, but a brief call from Thug to the spineless John Tory quickly nixed that.

Hey Mayor Tory, instead of bothering with loud car exhaust, how about ridding the downtown of litter, graffiti, vagrants, beggars and addicts?

Personally, I'd keep the graffiti, beggars, vagrants, alcoholics, crack heads, et al (graffiti doesn't fit in on this list, by the way) if we could be rid of loud exhausts.

Now that's a fu***** nuisance! Bloody hell. You're one of those folk, aint ya? Sorry, mate, I think you're cool and all, but hell no....there's no need for that ruckus.

Has there been any place in the world that has solved the homeless issue?
I just came back from Singapore. Not a homeless person, or any litter or infrastructure neglect to be seen. And no they don’t lock up the homeless, they just ensure everyone is housed by the government. But that will just invite some to tell us why Singapore is a bad example.

Last edited:
And you can go to jail for a year for having chewing gum in Singapore so I can only imagine what happens if you are considered to be a vagrant there.

Singapore is indeed authoritarian. The quality of life is generally great, but personal freedoms are often limited. Plus, the same party has been in power with supermajorities since they became a country.

Singapore is indeed authoritarian. The quality of life is generally great, but personal freedoms are often limited. Plus, the same party has been in power with supermajorities since they became a country.

Singapore is a city-state that broke away from Malaysia to become a sovereign nation by 1965. Maybe the successful mayor of Toronto should take notes.

Has there been any place in the world that has solved the homeless issue?
It’s not an all-or-nothing thing (much like curing cancer isn’t). You mitigate the problems and put out as many fires as possible. Arguably, and ironically, the best (and cheapest) way is supplying permanent housing, minimum income and mental and physical health care for them. But then everyone else complains about how “hard (I) work!” and how no one should get something for free, ignoring the long-term costs are more expensive for everyone (police, anti-homeless street furniture, security, shelters, incarceration, mental health facilities, etc.).

Back