News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 568     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 868     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

According to a report, a practitioner of fundamentalist religion suffers from brain damage to the prefrontal cortex.

Is it brain damage though, or underdevelopment? From what I remember, it's underdevelopment.

Whatever, either one agrees with your point.

This Tory thing is interesting. I think the Lastman announcement has got his attention. He had no real competition until now and even though Lastman isn't known as a politician, he is known, especially in North York.

Though I am sure I know the answer..... it will be interesting to see if John Tory gets rid of his Executive Committee members who are in favour of Doug Ford's scheme! These 3 voted against the final, as amended, motion: Gary Crawford, Cesar Palacio, David Shiner

Last edited:
Though I am sure I know the answer..... it will be interesting to se if John Tory gets rid of his Executive Committee members who are in favour of Doug Ford's scheme! These 3 voted against the final, as amended, motion: Gary Crawford, Cesar Palacio, David Shiner

Interesting, Crawford is in very tight with Tory. It seems every time Tory is in Scarborough it's to promote something in Crawford's ward. He was at the announcement for a new bus route that went to Bluffers Park (Crawford's ward but it was actually Paul Ainslie who got the ball rolling) and also for the new bus route along Kingston Road that was created by a petition by Gerard Arbour who is running in whatever the hell ward it is right now. This time Ainslie was rightly invited as he was promoting this, and it covers part of his ward.

With respect to the 47 vs 25 debate, I would be fine with the 25 councillor system if the following was implemented:
  • Toronto Council only dealt with higher-level planning decisions (OPs, major projects, etc)
  • Each riding would be broken up into at least 3 smaller wards, which would each have their own Council to take care of truly local matters (essentially the Community Council system, but still more fine-grained)
  • Each of these wards would have a 4-year election cycle that would be offset from the "main" Council by 2 years, in order to not have those races be overshadowed by main Council
  • The main Council Councillor would also sit on this smaller Council, and would serve as the "link" between those two levels of municipal government
One of the additional benefits of this framework would that the main Council could potentially be expanded to include other municipalities, as they would still have their own representation at the ward level. It could potentially become the higher-level Council for the entire GTA.

Hey Mayor Tory, instead of bothering with loud car exhaust, how about ridding the downtown of litter, graffiti, vagrants, beggars and addicts?
I agree the downtown vagrant population is a serious problem. But I’m not sure what tools the City has to deal with it. A lot of these people appear to have serious mental health and/or substance abuse issues. We’ve made a national decision not to coercively commit them to long-term care facilities, so the traditional method of warehousing them out of sight isn’t feasible. Other options?

I agree the downtown vagrant population is a serious problem. But I’m not sure what tools the City has to deal with it. A lot of these people appear to have serious mental health and/or substance abuse issues. We’ve made a national decision not to coercively commit them to long-term care facilities, so the traditional method of warehousing them out of sight isn’t feasible. Other options?
It's a question of Chicken and Egg. They're downtown because we've surrendered the core to the homeless industrial complex. It should be broken up, and shelters and services should be spread across the city, and ideally across the province, so that as best as possible, those in need can get it where they came from. And refugees should be housed by the Feds.

As for faster fixes...... leave the homeless, but tackle the filth and neglect downtown. Remove garbage and litter, take down shanties and rubbish piles. Clean up the city downtown. Demand that TPS enforce laws against roadside panhandling. That's a better project for the mayor to champion than noisy mufflers.

So you want the police who cant keep up with gun crime to spend their time enforcing laws against roadside panhandling. It irritates me as well but it sure seems theres better ways for pricey police officers to spend their time.

Being homeless is awful for mental health, not just because of the harsh surroundings that puts the mind on a day-to-day (sometimes hour-to-hour) survival mode, but because the homeless are also surrounded by hardened figures who can continue to enable (and sometimes promote) self-destructive behavior.

The end of institutionalization has really thrown these people from the pan into the fire. We're just back where the Victorians started off at- segments of society cut off and left adrift.

Reinstitutionalization along Victorian lines won't work because of its self-righteous oppressiveness and detachment from society, but some form of modern institutionalization would do wonders in providing a supportive environment for these people to heal themselves. Maybe a self-enclosed environment like Hogewey might help provide the most at-risk with some normalcy and self-determination, while keeping harmful elements at bay.

Last edited:

Back