News   Apr 30, 2024
 161     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 604     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.7K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Can someone tweet at Brad Ross or pose a question as to why we don't do something similar with the screens in the Rocket? I tried tweeting brad but didn't get a response. This is maybe the most ridiculous thing . . .

Because people were concerned about "over-commercialization" and thought that this would become an excuse to start showing video ads.

Because people were concerned about "over-commercialization" and thought that it would lead to video ads.
Also there would have to be an audio anoucment for the blind and given the number of bus routes that serve some stations the train could depart one station and finish the announcement as it arrives at the next station only to have to announce it again.

If the 504 split becomes permanent what's next the 510 streetcar only goes to queen's quay and spadina, or the 509 only goes to fleet loop, or better yet both the 510 and 511 turn at queens quay and spadina and 509 is the only streetcar to go to the exabition and union station.

Also there would have to be an audio anoucment for the blind and given the number of bus routes that serve some stations the train could depart one station and finish the announcement as it arrives at the next station only to have to announce it again.

At least the TTC only has to announce in English, unlike, say, Hong Kong, where announcements have to be in three languages (Cantonese, English, and Mandarin).

Can someone tweet at Brad Ross or pose a question as to why we don't do something similar with the screens in the Rocket? I tried tweeting brad but didn't get a response. This is maybe the most ridiculous thing . . .

Pfff you mean you expect that our $15 million trains delivered just last year should have something more sophisticated than blinking red and green LEDs?

I always thought the route maps were cute, they remind me of the labs in my first year undergraduate electrical engineering course. I'm not convinced that they make sense for a system that has so many extensions and changes planned/in the works, especially given that even fridges and coffee machines have screens on them nowadays. And it would be nice to dole out more information about connecting bus routes, service delays, etc., on those screens.

This sounds ridiculous and will, just cause more people to wait if they get on the wrong car or get annoyed becuse they don't see the one they want coming.
How does having 2 separate services clearly laid out in the destination signs (one to Dundas West Stn and Cherry Loop, with the other to Broadview and Dufferin Loop) cause mass confusion? It's not like King is going to have 5 different branches all heading in the general same direction (ie: the 52 Lawrence West).

How does having 2 separate services clearly laid out in the destination signs (one to Dundas West Stn and Cherry Loop, with the other to Broadview and Dufferin Loop) cause mass confusion? It's not like King is going to have 5 different branches all heading in the general same direction (ie: the 52 Lawrence West).
The streetcar designation signs don't have branch letters and the constantly scroll between lines making easier to miss. It's not a big deal with 2 hour transfers and the fact streetcars cannot pass each other. Riders can get off before they branch off and wait for the next car unlike the 52 Lawrence West when other branches zoom pass near the split and riders would have to wait for the next bus. BTW, the number of riders getting on the 52G wanting Dixon Rd or Bathurst still exist after 4 years. It is still common for people get on the wrong bus.

Expect they don't use them on the signs for the streetcars like they do for buses.

This sounds ridiculous and will, just cause more people to wait if they get on the wrong car or get annoyed becuse they don't see the one they want coming.
AFIK, there are currently NO streetcar routes (as opposed to buses running on streetcar routes) that have letters so it would currently be unnecessary to add letters to signs on streetcars. I assumed that once we have a streetcar route with a post-number letter that these would appear on the signage. I assume this will happen with the Flexities - which will (soon) be the only vehicles running as 504A or 504B.

The streetcar designation signs don't have branch letters and the constantly scroll between lines making easier to miss. It's not a big deal with 2 hour transfers and the fact streetcars cannot pass each other. Riders can get off before they branch off and wait for the next car unlike the 52 Lawrence West when other branches zoom pass near the split and riders would have to wait for the next bus. BTW, the number of riders getting on the 52G wanting Dixon Rd or Bathurst still exist after 4 years. It is still common for people get on the wrong bus.
I'm sure the TTC will be introducing branch letters to streetcar routes formally once the CLRVs and ALRVs are fully retired. Remember that those vehicles still use rollsigns and are incapable of using branch letters, so if they introduced them now that would be truly confusing for riders.

As for the Lawrence West bus, that route is such a mess that it's branch letters serves as a great indicator as to how screwed up that service really is. I dont blame riders for being confused in that particular instance.

52F LAWRENCE WEST To ROYAL YORK
I'm sure the TTC will be introducing branch letters to streetcar routes formally once the CLRVs and ALRVs are fully retired. Remember that those vehicles still use rollsigns and are incapable of using branch letters, so if they introduced them now that would be truly confusing for riders.

As for the Lawrence West bus, that route is such a mess that it's branch letters serves as a great indicator as to how screwed up that service really is. I dont blame riders for being confused in that particular instance.

We have 52A LAWRENCE WEST To PEARSON AIRPORT via DIXON RD, 52B LAWRENCE WEST To WESTWOOD via DIXON RD EXTRA FARE REQUIRED WEST OF AIRPORT, 52D LAWRENCE WEST To McNAUGHTON via DIXON RD EXTRA FARE REQUIRED WEST OF AIRPORT, 52F LAWRENCE WEST To ROYAL YORK, 52G LAWRENCE WEST To MARTIN GROVE via THE WESTWAY, and in the morning, 352 LAWRENCE WEST BLUE NIGHT LAWRENCE WEST To PEARSON AIRPORT.

Add, starting October 7th, the 952 Lawrence West Express. At least that one is better than adding a 52E LAWRENCE WEST. There used to be a 98 WESTWAY bus, but it merged with Lawrence West in 1963. See link.

I wonder if the 952 will have luggage racks.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as Express on the Lawrence around Allen Rd.

The streetcars don't show A and B. They just show the route number and destination, and people get on whichever one they think they need to take. People won't be any more confused than they have been all summer long.

There's been talk of that as a solution to the TTC's tunnel woes - they could have the Queen's Quay East streetcar take over the 510's slots at Union Station.
Most people won't take the 504 from Queensway/Roncy to Broadview but a lot of people do take the 510 from Dundas to someone on QQ. I don't see the 510 ending at QQ happening. That just increase dwelling time on the 509 or QQ East car(when implemented) at QQ/Spadina

Back