News   Apr 26, 2024
 491     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 570     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

There's been talk of that as a solution to the TTC's tunnel woes - they could have the Queen's Quay East streetcar take over the 510's slots at Union Station.
The TTC network is so beset with transfers as it is. I hope that this would not happen.

has anyone ever proposed restricting left turns on all streets with mixed traffic streetcars, wherever the grid provides an alternative. most of the corridors dont get the foot traffic that king gets so the whole king pilot treatment wouldn't be nessecary, but restricting left turns would go a long way to improve service.

Most people won't take the 504 from Queensway/Roncy to Broadview but a lot of people do take the 510 from Dundas to someone on QQ. I don't see the 510 ending at QQ happening. That just increase dwelling time on the 509 or QQ East car(when implemented) at QQ/Spadina

I worked at Queens Quay and Spadina during the ROW construction. I saw the 510 turn around at Queens Quay loop and even during the CNE last Saturday when 4442 collided with another car.

What happens is that you get the 509 backing up on Queens Quay along with the 510 backing up on Spadina waiting to enter the loop. Turning at Queens Quay will only make things worse.

I'm sure the TTC will be introducing branch letters to streetcar routes formally once the CLRVs and ALRVs are fully retired.
They have but only internally and on the next arrival signs atSpadinan Sation. The 510 A goes to Union well the 510 b goes to Queens Quay loop.

Found today at Warden. Faaaaaaaannncccyyyy!

20180829_160015.jpg

Attachments

• 20180829_160015.jpg
    20180829_160015.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 410
AFIK, there are currently NO streetcar routes (as opposed to buses running on streetcar routes) that have letters so it would currently be unnecessary to add letters to signs on streetcars. I assumed that once we have a streetcar route with a post-number letter that these would appear on the signage. I assume this will happen with the Flexities - which will (soon) be the only vehicles running as 504A or 504B.
According to the current service summary, there's 3 different letters being used for 504 streetcars currently, in addition to the 504D bus, and the unlettered Greenwood to Sunnyside trippers.
upload_2018-8-29_16-38-31.png

And there's the 510A Union and 510B Queens Quay service for quite some time.
upload_2018-8-29_16-39-24.png

Not to mention the current 501A and 501L
upload_2018-8-29_16-40-32.png

Looking back in old service summaries, this seemed to start in January 2016, at which point, there was also a 510C
upload_2018-8-29_16-44-39.png

While this all used to be behind the scenes, the TTC has recently started to use it more prominently in communications with customers:
upload_2018-8-29_16-46-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-29_16-38-31.png
    upload_2018-8-29_16-38-31.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 356
  • upload_2018-8-29_16-39-24.png
    upload_2018-8-29_16-39-24.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 367
  • upload_2018-8-29_16-40-32.png
    upload_2018-8-29_16-40-32.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 388
  • upload_2018-8-29_16-44-39.png
    upload_2018-8-29_16-44-39.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 366
  • upload_2018-8-29_16-46-41.png
    upload_2018-8-29_16-46-41.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
If the 52 doesn't have luggage racks, what makes you think the 952 would?
IMHO the 52 was never a real option for travellers to get to the airport from the Yonge Line. It's just takes too long. It is more feasible to go down to Bloor, transfer, go to Kipling, take the Airport Rocket.

But a 952 makes it feasible to go from Lawrence Station all the way to the Airport to catch a flight instead of detouring south.

According to the current service summar, there's 3 different letters being used for 504 streetcars currently, in addition to the 504D bus, and the unlettered Greenwood to Sunnyside trippers.
You are, of course, right but I understand that the programing of the actual signage for the Flexities is 'underway'. (One has to wonder why it seems to be so complicated to reprogram Flexity signage to add letters; obviously they will not make new roller signs for the older cars.)

What’s the point of Broadview Station to Parliament
It's a bus service, because they ripped up the streetcar tracks and overhead on Broadview most of the summer. It was going down River Street most of the time.

Service returns to normal (504 and 514) on Sunday ... until the 514 elimination in October.

You are, of course, right but I understand that the programing of the actual signage for the Flexities is 'underway'. (One has to wonder why it seems to be so complicated to reprogram Flexity signage to add letters; obviously they will not make new roller signs for the older cars.)
Not sure ... why have letters on any bus route, that's just short turns, rather than alternate routes.

Though why not number alternate routes differently ... like they did recently, breaking out one of the interminable 91 branches into the 93 ...

If I was god-emperor of Ontario things would be different. Also, if I think I'm god-emperor of Ontario someone shoot me ...

IMHO the 52 was never a real option for travellers to get to the airport from the Yonge Line. It's just takes too long. It is more feasible to go down to Bloor, transfer, go to Kipling, take the Airport Rocket.

But a 952 makes it feasible to go from Lawrence Station all the way to the Airport to catch a flight instead of detouring south.
With the TTC's lack of route management on the Lawrence West route, the express bus still wont be an efficient option. Dont get me wrong, while it will be better than the current garbage service on Lawrence right now and any improvement we can get there is good, it still wont fix the basic problems with that route. The way the route is currently structured, it doesnt work for residents/workers on Lawrence, Dixon, or the Airport area.

Not really. I expect the running time still be 45-50 min. during off peak and 55 min in peak. The problem remains that the 52 is the most short turned route due to the extra traffic from Eglinton. The TTC/city is suppose to build some bus bypass lanes in trouble spots but who knows why city transportation is refusing to do so. The 52 really needs relief buses in PM peak but TTC is just being cheap.

When the crosstown completes, I wonder if they would reexamine the commuting pattern and run either the Westway branch or/and the Dixon branches into Mt Dennis Station via Jane. The 52F should remind the main branch for service on Lawrence. This would solve all the gap problems on Dixon and the Westway since it's usually caused by congestion around Allen Rd. The diamond interchange at Allen/Lawrence is very inefficient and is the main reason for congestion. Everyone is trying to get on during the afternoon in both directions and there's only one ramp. 15-20 minutes of extra round trip time is needed on the 52 in PM rush for this meaning 8 extra buses is needed to idle in traffic.

I highly doubt the 952 would be reliable during this period for these reasons.

Back