News   Apr 26, 2024
 688     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 241     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 721     0 

2018 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

How many non-incumbent winners will there be on council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Doesn't the City (i.e. Parks and Rec or 311) deal with garbage (and most other) issues. The only reason the Councillor is there is to represent citizens views and oversee staff to ensure that things are getting done.
The problem is that Councillors are doing activities to help get them re-elected, instead of their jobs. I don't doubt that they are busy, but not busy doing the right things.

Really? I don't see any complaints about Rob and Doug Ford when that's pretty much the only thing they did - if that. It's a little rich to change that tune about how "councillors shouldn't be doing little things" now.

AoD

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
Really? I don't see any complaints about Rob and Doug Ford when that's pretty much the only thing they did - if that. It's a little rich to change that tune about how "councillors shouldn't be doing little things" now.

AoD
That was the thing I hated most about Rob Ford - that and the drug/alcohol abuse. His big ticket issues like garbage privitization, tough negotiating contracts, and vision for rapid transit that I likes.
Oh, the paying his own expenses I didn't like either. Expenses shouldn't be used for bunny suits, but Councillors should also not be expected to pay for their own pens.

Collapse of the Liberal vote, much like 2011 federally.

I know; I was just challenging the "not interested in progressive politics" point. Certainly, enough of them must be *amenable* to such politics if they voted thusly provincially.

And as for the "Also, the provincial electorate district and the new municipal ward Malik has registered to run in are definitely not the same": I already offered that "yes, even the Ward 20 polls" went with the NDP flow. Maybe not *as* high (like, closer to 40% than 50%); but...

That was the thing I hated most about Rob Ford - that and the drug/alcohol abuse. His big ticket issues like garbage privitization, tough negotiating contracts, and vision for rapid transit that I likes.
Oh, the paying his own expenses I didn't like either. Expenses shouldn't be used for bunny suits, but Councillors should also not be expected to pay for their own pens.

"Borrowing" pens, paper, and other supplies from your family business, is a good way to reduce expenses. Every Councillor should be "borrowing" ALL their office supplies from their own family businesses. We should be "borrowing" ALL our school supplies for our kids from our family businesses as well.

Wonder why Ford's family business has been losing money in the past few years? See link.

upload_2018-8-8_21-52-40.png

Could be all the "borrowing" being done?

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-8_21-52-40.png
    upload_2018-8-8_21-52-40.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 326

If the bunny suit was used for the job of being a councillor, of course it should be expensed.

Do people find Kevin Vuong a good candidate? Like I was on his side to avoid Ausma Malik however he seems just as bad.

AllisonSmith @QueensParkToday said:
The PCs have intro'd a time allocation motion on Bill 5, the legislation that reduces the number of Toronto City Councillors from 47 to 25. Language in the motion would allow for the bill to pass by the end of the day.
AllisonSmith @QueensParkToday said:
Pursuant to the motion, Bill 5 will bypass committee stage and receive just one hour of debate at 3rd reading. One unusual thing about the wording is that it does not allow any votes on the bill to be deferred, so both 2nd reading and 3rd reading could happen this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/QueensParkToday/status/1027545685904764929

Do people find Kevin Vuong a good candidate? Like I was on his side to avoid Ausma Malik however he seems just as bad.

"Just as bad?" Please elaborate.

Malik is the unofficial NDP candidate who had faced a lot of hatred in her run for TDSB trustee. Vuong is a young, very ambitious progressive Liberal who was assumed to be the unofficial Liberal-backed candidate until Han Dong, that party hack, lost provincially and ran for council.

Malik and Vuong are different enough, but they're both young, urban progressives and either would be a good choice, I think. Neither are perfect, but Ward 20 is lucky to have such a choice.

If you want someone like Denzil Minnan-Wong or Stephen Holyday to represent you in Ward 20, you'll probably have better luck moving to North York or Etobicoke.

Last edited:
No surprise there - just keep this in mind, and remind yourself that they won't be in power permanently.

AoD

I don't know- Metro Council is still dead even though the Liberals had around a decade to undo or fix what the PCs did in the 90s.

I don't know- Metro Council is still dead even though the Liberals had around a decade to undo or fix what the PCs did in the 90s.
The point here is not that Council may (will?) be smaller (that's a different argument) it is that to go from a 43/47 councillors to 25 is only one thing in a very complicated process with many 'moving parts'. 25 councillors simply cannot do all that 43/47 did - serving on Boards and Committees, dealing with 'constituency issues" etc etc. Leaving aside the desirability for proper public consultation, to do only one thing (go to 25) is irresponsible and I am very doubtful that an election can actually be organised on the new boundaries on 22 October.

Here's the full motion:

Government Notice of Motion Number 4
Avis de motions émanant du gouvernement numéro 4

Mr. Smith (Bay of Quinte) — That, pursuant to Standing Order 47 and notwithstanding any other Standing Order or Special Order of the House relating to Bill 5, An Act to amend the City of Toronto Act, 2006, the Municipal Act, 2001 and the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, when Bill 5 is next called as a Government Order, the Speaker shall put every question necessary to dispose of the Second Reading stage of the Bill, without further debate or amendment, and at such time the Bill shall be ordered for Third Reading, which order may be called that same day; and

That, when the Order for Third Reading of the Bill is called, 1 hour shall be allotted to the Third Reading stage of the Bill, with 30 minutes apportioned to the government, 10 minutes to Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, 10 minutes to the Liberal party independent members and 10 minutes apportioned to the Green party independent member. At the end of this time, the Speaker shall interrupt the proceedings and shall put every question necessary to dispose of this stage of the Bill without further debate or amendment; and

That, except in the case of a recorded division arising from morning Orders of the Day, pursuant to Standing Order 9(c), no deferral of the Second Reading or Third Reading vote shall be permitted; and

That, in the case of any division relating to any proceedings on the Bill, the division bell shall be limited to five minutes, except that the division bell for the vote on the motion for Third Reading shall be 15 minutes.

"Just as bad?" Please elaborate.

Malik is the unofficial NDP candidate who had faced a lot of hatred in her run for TDSB trustee. Vuong is a young, very ambitious progressive Liberal who was assumed to be the unofficial Liberal-backed candidate until Han Dong, that party hack, lost provincially and ran for council.

Malik and Vuong are different enough, but they're both young, urban progressives and either would be a good choice, I think. Neither are perfect, but Ward 20 is lucky to have such a choice.

If you want someone like Denzil Minnan-Wong or Stephen Holyday to represent you in Ward 20, you'll probably have better luck moving to North York or Etobicoke.
I am clearly to the right of many downtown people but can there at least be centrist candidate like Mary-Margret McMahon or Ana Bailao someone like that?

Back