News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

The point was to extrapolate the commissioning experience from one project to another. I am taken aback how long commissioning 14 consists in a not huge city is taking.

Gotcha. But they haven't even started burning in the vehicles yet, they're testing them to spec (full load acceleration and braking, hold on the steepest grade powered and unpowered, high-speed cornering at full load, all of that again with two vehicles coupled) at the same time as they are commissioning all new track, power, signalling, and safety trip systems. If you look at Gold Coast light rail in Australia, the Waterloo system's closest equivalent, I think they took 18 to 24 months to do the same things. And all this while they haven't got a single vehicle with its CBTC system installed yet (thanks for screwing that up for us Metrolinx!)

Gotcha. But they haven't even started burning in the vehicles yet, they're testing them to spec (full load acceleration and braking, hold on the steepest grade powered and unpowered, high-speed cornering at full load, all of that again with two vehicles coupled) at the same time as they are commissioning all new track, power, signalling, and safety trip systems. If you look at Gold Coast light rail in Australia, the Waterloo system's closest equivalent, I think they took 18 to 24 months to do the same things. And all this while they haven't got a single vehicle with its CBTC system installed yet (thanks for screwing that up for us Metrolinx!)
The spec testing would have all been done if the Sheppard LRT was built but of course it wasn't and Bombardier can't do this testing in Kingston because that test track is too flat and straight.

Last edited:
Are the platforms built at double or triple the length of a Flexity Freedom?

Edit: Just looked around, and it seems to be double.
If I remember correctly, the platforms will hold 2 cars with room for an extension to be built for a 3rd.

Based on current ridership, a single car is more than enough to handle it. If one look closely at the platforms today, they will see black markings at the edge where the doors for the car will open and it only for one car.

If I remember correctly, the platforms will hold 2 cars with room for an extension to be built for a 3rd.

Based on current ridership, a single car is more than enough to handle it. If one look closely at the platforms today, they will see black markings at the edge where the doors for the car will open and it only for one car.
I know, that's some nice indication with the black and yellow platform edge bumps. Are the trains aligned manually or automatically?

I know, that's some nice indication with the black and yellow platform edge bumps. Are the trains aligned manually or automatically?
That I can't tell, but wouldn't be surprise automatically.

Edit: looking at this station platform, its for 3 cars, but end of the line as well future extension for Phase 2. I maybe wrong based on this photo, that they are built for 3 cars now.

Fairview June 21
29221436138_03c71cfafb_h.jpg

Last edited:
I followed the line today, as I was in town. (I am not from around here)

Some things I was wondering:

1)Are the tracks spaced far enough apart for any future infill stations?

2) When they build Phase 2, will there be a second OMC built or will the one be enough.

The line looks great. Can't wait to visit and ride it when it opens.

2) When they build Phase 2, will there be a second OMC built or will the one be enough.

My understanding of the issues:

1) infill stations are not being considered, however current stations are designed to be expanded (canopies, etc) to accommodate two-car train operation for the rush hour in phase 2

2) The current OMSF has space for more tracks for more trains, the current phase 2 plans don't show a new OMSF

They could always do an infill station with a side platform rather than a centre platform. Similar to how the Yonge line north of Eglinton was all centre platforms, but the infill station at North York Centre has side platforms.

... however North York was somewhat roughed in (as in making sure the station area was level and straight) to add in the future. IIRC I think there also another two area's on the Yonge line that have this setup between Eglinton and Lawrence and another between Lawrence and York Mills. I'm a bit shocked Toronto is not asking for these infill stations to be built as part of the Yonge Extension..

1) There's no plans for any infill stations as on most of the Phase 1 line infill is handled by buses.

2) They might just build some storage tracks somewhere along the line similar to what the TTC Subway has, or they may build a small yard somewhere in Cambridge to hold some excess cars.

Two cars were located at CN's MacMillian Yard Saturday night. Don't know if GEXR picked them up yesterday or will be doing so today.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back