News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 502     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

Spotted today near Millhaven from VIA #64, presumably 508 and 509:

Were you filming knowing they were going to pop up or just because?

Were you filming knowing they were going to pop up or just because?

I heard they were loaded and awaiting pickup last Friday, so filmed every train we passed in the hopes of catching them. :)

Edit to add: In this case they were still on a siding and we were just coming out of a go-slow section, so the speed differential fortunately wasn't very high. The other trains I filmed were blurs, I was afraid I had missed them.

Last edited:
^I was just through K/W today. What an incredible difference downtown in King now being a pedestrian and transit steeped thoroughfare.

I heard they were loaded and awaiting pickup last Friday, so filmed every train we passed in the hopes of catching them. :)

Edit to add: In this case they were still on a siding and we were just coming out of a go-slow section, so the speed differential fortunately wasn't very high. The other trains I filmed were just blurs, I was afraid I had missed them.

So, you were using your cell at work? Hopefully your company doesn't catch you.

I can't believe they arent going to have this up and running in time for Oktoberfest. What a cock up.

December 2018 is the most recent date given by the region to the media. That will also be tight, especially if there are frame issues similar to the TTC's (this is still under investigation). In theory the first train with what the region calls 'specialized equipment' (radios, video cameras, and communications based train controls) will be arriving within the next month. Not sure how quickly the rest will get this gear installed, Bombardier has been contracted to do all of the installation work divided between Millhaven and Waterloo.

So reading this discussion. The tunnels of the Eglinton LRT are complete. Most underground stations will reach substantial completion at the end of next year. Not a millimetre of track has been laid on the surface. How long will Mlinx need to commission the Toronto project? From what I am reading here, it could take a long while.

How long did the TTC run the Spadina trains up to VMC before opening the line? Three weeks or three months?

So reading this discussion. The tunnels of the Eglinton LRT are complete. Most underground stations will reach substantial completion at the end of next year. Not a millimetre of track has been laid on the surface. How long will Mlinx need to commission the Toronto project? From what I am reading here, it could take a long while.

How long did the TTC run the Spadina trains up to VMC before opening the line? Three weeks or three months?
7 months, considering Finch wasn't turn over to TTC until a week or 2 before the opening. Been told, the station is still not finish.

How long do you think it will take to lay surface track???? How long does it take TTC to rebuilt straight tracks on the existing system these days???

Last edited:
The point was to extrapolate the commissioning experience from one project to another. I am taken aback how long commissioning 14 consists in a not huge city is taking.

But it's also 14 vehicles in a city which has no equivalent or precedence in their modern history of operating. And with an operating model which they've never done before, either. And on a line which has an operating characteristic which the regulatory agencies still have issues muddling their way through.

So yeah, they really are not making it easy on themselves.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back