Toronto Westlake Encore | 146.3m | 45s | Onni Group | P + S / IBI

Not really, that would be Etobicoke City Centre which is around Kipling and Islington stations. Humber Bay is just an overly dense neighborhood in Etobicoke.

Wishful thinking. Not gonna happen up there. Place is a dead-zone. Once Christie Factory finalizes its plan. This will have a 'Downtown Feel' if that land is used in good proportion.

I do sort of get a 'City Place' type vibe from the area currently...
Cityplace is further ahead in terms of community amenities - they now have a beautiful new community centre, library and two new schools. Humber Bay has the park advantage and better access to the lake and bike trails though.

Wishful thinking. Not gonna happen up there. Place is a dead-zone. Once Christie Factory finalizes its plan. This will have a 'Downtown Feel' if that land is used in good proportion.
I'm not telling you what I "think", i'm just pointing out what the facts are. The reason the area is a "dead-zone" is because the pedestrian realm is thoroughly lacking in the area due to the design of the Six Points intersection. This will obviously change once the intersection is reconstructed, and the area has been developed. The city is relocating the Etobicoke Civic Centre along with its services to the Kipling area, and they've stated quite a few times that that the area would become the city centre for Etobicoke.

The only reason Humber Bay has the "downtown feel" is due to the density, condo towers over 150m tall, and mass traffic congestion which paralyzes the neighbourhood.

I think Etobicoke will have two downtown strips in the future. One along Dundas centred around the Six Points redesign, and a second at Humber Bay Shores, centred around the Kraft Bakery Site.

Queensway too will see significant density along that entire corridor. So maybe it will be 2.5 downtown strips.

I think Etobicoke will have two downtown strips in the future. a second at Humber Bay Shores, centred around the Kraft Bakery Site.

I don't know about that, are you really a downtown if you don't have any office components??
.. Hopefully the Kraft site will include a couple office towers

Any rumblings as to what might be in the retail space? Has it been sold yet?

no word from the builder but for sure the retail space that is separated from the building will be a restaurant. The other small retail spaces on the ground floor might still be open for leasing. Onni is quite picky in accepting tenants for the retail spaces that they have.

Through the Kraft Bakery fences…

DSC07273.jpg

Not much going on at ground level with the commercial building yet:

DSC07272.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07272.jpg
    DSC07272.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 543
  • DSC07273.jpg
    DSC07273.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 525
I know it's been top-of-mind for everyone as to whether the Westlake Encore commercial building was going ahead yet. It is:

DSC08665.jpg
DSC08666.jpg

Attachments

• DSC08665.jpg
    DSC08665.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 846
  • DSC08666.jpg
    DSC08666.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 898
I don’t care much whether the area has a downtown feel or not. Not every area has to have a downtown feel. The real downtown, after all, is visible in the distance from here. It does matter to me whether this is a pleasant neighbourhood in which to live, without being car dependant. I do want most services within an easy and pleasant walk. For those of us on the west end of HBS, this is beginning to happen. It is also important to me that there be good transit connections, especially to the real downtown. Some of this is happening already, as I say. Some of it will, I hope, happen with the development of the Mr. Christie lands. In the meantime, I’m hoping for a better quality restaurant in Westlake Encore’s commercial area. Or a hardware store!

The park system remains the main plus for the area, of course. The main reason to live in the area is to have the lake views and the great walking and biking.

I know it's been top-of-mind for everyone as to whether the Westlake Encore commercial building was going ahead yet. It is:

View attachment 149856 View attachment 149857

Am I missing something, the rendering a few posts up and this small piece of land they're currently building on - this isn't the same thing is it? Granted I don't walk around the Westlake area much as I find it's a bit of a mess with traffic but I can't place the retail area from the rendering?

Back