News   Apr 19, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 605     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Rail: Ontario-Quebec High Speed Rail Study

Learn something new every day.....I thought the Porter east coast flights were routed through Ottawa.

I think that most of them are, but there are (or maybe were) a number routed via Montreal. I've stopped there at least twice flying out east.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I think that most of them are, but there are (or maybe were) a number routed via Montreal. I've stopped there at least twice flying out east.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I have never flown them out east....just know that a few of the flights I have taken to Ottawa were continuing on from there to Halifax or Moncton.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
As luck would have it, as I sit here waiting for my AC flight to Montreal, Porter announces boarding for flight 463 with service to Montreal, Halifax and St John's!

Unlike the HSR proposal to London, an Tor/Ott/Mon HSR line would be totally an Ottawa problem and would rely 100% on Ottawa funding it as Quebec and QP wouldn't contribute a cent nor should they.

Unlike the HSR proposal to London, an Tor/Ott/Mon HSR line would be totally an Ottawa problem and would rely 100% on Ottawa funding it as Quebec and QP wouldn't contribute a cent nor should they.

I'd like what you're smoking.

There is absolutely no way, the feds would launch a $20 billion infrastructure project without demanding funds from the two beneficiary provinces. The only reason HFR might happen on federal funds because they are limiting federal funds and trying to get investors through the CIB.

So who here honestly thinks this will actually get built?
I think it will. Try travelling between Toronto and Waterloo on Sunday night via GO Transit at Sqaure One and you will see how long the line is to board the double decker bus for Waterloo. A few times I've seen standing room only. The demand for high speed service between Toronto and KW is there and Highway 401 can only take so mich.

Hill: Even Russia has high-speed train travel. Why don't we?

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/hill-even-russia-has-high-speed-train-travel-why-dont-we

So who here honestly thinks this will actually get built?

High speed rail for the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor? Probably not in my lifetime sadly.

The Toronto-Kitchener-London line is a toss-up. It's needed for regional integration. The business sector wants it. But it's several billion over and above needed investment for electrified RER in the Kitchener corridor. Could happen. But I don't see any chance of it happening before 2030.

The only real prospect in my books is VIA's High Frequency Rail proposal. It won't be High Speed Rail. But it'll be a substantial improvement. And depending on how that goes, we may start seeing more public support for long distance rail.

As for the article and the comparison to Russia and China? Ridiculous. It's easy to build shiny infrastructure in countries where they don't have to care about a business case, labour rights, environmental assessments, etc. Authoritarians have been winning over support with shiny trains for over a century at least.

Last edited:
Authoritarians have been winning over support with shiny trains for over a century at least.
Anyone who has read about the gulags knows that Soviet Russia was expert at
  • running long distance services
  • generating ridership
  • operating at a low cost level of passenger amenities that Ryanair could only dream about

I tripped over this history in the August 1, 1981 Toronto Star (page B5)

Toronto to Montreal in 2½ hours!

And Ottawa to Montreal in 60 minutes if they only didn't have to share with freight.

Hang on, I didn't think they did have to share much of that route with freight anymore.

And people wonder why I just don't believe the current crap coming out of VIA Rail. Been there, bought the ticket!

upload_2018-2-25_0-5-16.png

This article is just a small box in a much larger article about the state of Via Rail, which covers the whole page. In case anyone is interested.
upload_2018-2-25_0-21-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-25_0-5-16.png
    upload_2018-2-25_0-5-16.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 599
  • upload_2018-2-25_0-21-16.png
    upload_2018-2-25_0-21-16.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 573
And people wonder why I just don't believe the current crap coming out of VIA Rail. Been there, bought the ticket!

We all have to go through our cycle of optimism, hope and crushing disappointment before we come to terms with the fact that public transport, especially inter-city rail is just not important to Canadians. There will always be some other priority on which to spend before VIA.

My latest has been with Trudeau. I genuinely believed HFR would be a priority for this government. A great project that could be executed within two terms. Would demonstrate some good old fashioned Canadian compromise and practicality of improving service without going full HSR. And would offer a path to substantial aviation emissions reductions in Southern Ontario/Quebec. And now, it's all been walked back to what will likely be only starting fleet renewal this term.

I finally got around to chewing through the federal Budget Document.

The item of note is that the $8M allocated to study VIA's HFR plan appears to be spread over three fiscal years. per Table A2.5, page 316

In other words, the studying doesn't end until 2021.

Read into that what you like.

- Paul

Back