News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

Dead/Decaying Malls of Greater Toronto

I’ve shopped at Farm Boy in Ottawa often. I find them expensive. It’s a different concept from the traditional Loblaws/Metro approach. It will be interesting to see how they do in the Toronto market. Some locations” demographics make sense to me, some I question.

I’ve shopped at Farm Boy in Ottawa often. I find them expensive. It’s a different concept from the traditional Loblaws/Metro approach. It will be interesting to see how they do in the Toronto market. Some locations” demographics make sense to me, some I question.

Well, Alderwood Plaza has been pretty quiet. I am sure that starting next Thursday when they open, they will bring a traffic boost to that plaza. Farm Boy is not exactly the cheapest, but that's how it is supposed to be. The company has a " buy less, shop more " idea, meaning it is a bit different than your average supermarket. Also, this is the first supermarket for South Etobicoke since TOPS closed in 2015. I will post here on March 3rd some pictures from the Grand Opening.

[...] I will post here on March 3rd some pictures from the Grand Opening.

I look forward to the photos, since it may be some time before I get out that way. Thanks.

There is actually now a separate thread for this: Farm Boy Expansion in the GTA. Probably the better spot for your photos and this discussion, since as of March 1 Alderwood Plaza will likely no longer qualify as a dead or decaying mall (the subject of this thread).

Okay then, I will post in the Farm Boy thread then. But, we need to talk about Woodbine Mall/Fantasy Fair in Etobicoke. Fantasy Fair is doing just fine, but the interior portion has lost a lot of stores over the years, and the former Sears space has been replaced by a cheap goods store ( forgot the name ).

How can you tell the difference? ha ha

Yeah there really is no difference. The interior portion has lost a lot of businesses over the years. If you search" Woodbine Mall " on Google, and scroll a bit, someone asked the question " Does Woodbine need a Walmart ". Also, a Sweet Jesus ice cream shop is opening up in Woodbine, maybe that will help out.

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere:

The Galleria is in its death throes and yet the lights stay on. We asked eight writers and a photographer to find the meaning of the mall

https://www.westendphoenix.com/february-2018-the-long-goodbye

Galleria Mall will be redevolped in the coming years into a condo. The mall would stay, but a condo would be built on top ( there is obviously a delay though if the mall still is open in 2018 )

Galleria Mall will be redevolped in the coming years into a condo. The mall would stay, but a condo would be built on top ( there is obviously a delay though if the mall still is open in 2018 )

Wrong. See thread.
phasingplan-jpg.129328

This thread itself is a dead place, but Kipling Queensway Mall is dying. The Zellers store, one of only two in Canada closes for good on January 26th. Once it closes, Sobeys will be the only major draw there. I think it will become the next Honeydale

This thread itself is a dead place, but Kipling Queensway Mall is dying. The Zellers store, one of only two in Canada closes for good on January 26th. Once it closes, Sobeys will be the only major draw there. I think it will become the next Honeydale

I'm really hoping that shitty, decaying mall gets a massive redevelopment in the near future. I'd say chances are quite high considering all the other proposals along the Queensway.

I'm really hoping that shitty, decaying mall gets a massive redevelopment in the near future. I'd say chances are quite high considering all the other proposals along the Queensway.

I've heard rumours that it will be torn down soon and turned into a expanded and wider space for the Gardiner and an expanded off ramp at Kipling, but these are rumours.

Back