News   May 06, 2024
 257     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 712     0 

VIA Rail

I am tempted to say that the federal funding had to do with this decision. This is purely speculative.
I am too. And an eye with that funding to VIA's pressing need to retain passage through that tunnel, if only in EMU form. I suspect, but can't substantiate at this time, that there are regulatory issues, not least Transport Canada and the Transportation Agency. This appears to be a functioning rail line being taken out of operation. Whether the Minister could over-rule the CTA or not is a good question. And whether that stretch through the tunnel and portals is still federally regulated is another good question.

What is also interesting is that a specific entity/branch (a filiale, in French) named IntraMTL.co will be created and will own the Tunnel, the station and the rail viaduc from Gare Centrale to Bridge street.
Many thanks for that. This may also be *required* by either federal regulations or PQ ones.

A descriptive slide can be found there : https://mtlurb.com/index.php?/topic...-metropolitain/&do=findComment&comment=305761
(Thanks to Megafolie, the original poster)
And not only thanks for that link on this point, but it's a string I couldn't find Googling. Catbus is dormant at this time. I'm about to read it all now...with coffee. It has some excellent maps and diagrams too.

To be fair, that looks like some kind of mutant 12-segment single-car Citadis 405 variant. I've put a blow-up below.
Yeah...that was and continues to be my impression too. A clearer still is disseminated widespread by CDPQ of exactly that vid frame capture, although a higher resolution. It could be their ad agency got screwed up. But to continue on the Metropolis, I find the use and concept exciting for Canada. What's good for the Goose is good for the Duck (sic). Ontario take note! The Relief Line design team should have a sharp eye on this.
  • Respect for the cost per passenger-km announced of 72 ¢, a cost from which the ARTM will define its rates.
https://mtlurb.com/index.php?/topic...olitain/&page=574&tab=comments#comment-305761

Alstom and (European style) metros will now have a wheel in the door to transform the Toronto market too.

My quibble is still VIA's access through the tunnel, and how the trackbed is to be ripped out and replaced, and built to light rail specs, which means the ballast, track sensors and rail gauge/switches may preclude heavy loco use, but I can see no reason that EMUs couldn't. This will continue to be an abject interest. EMUs will also have a higher thrust to weight ratio enabling keeping tight headways.

Last edited:
^Your reference to EMUs is entirely speculative. What evidence do you have that VIA is about to procure EMU's?

Besides, few EMU's tilt. I thought tilting trains were about to save the day.

I sense a fantasy here.

- Paul

^Your reference to EMUs is entirely speculative.
Indeed, a lot of what we're discussing is speculative.
What evidence do you have that VIA is about to procure EMU's?
lol...what evidence is there that VIA's about to procure *anything*? And my reference is to the tunnel, and HFR.

Besides, few EMU's tilt.
Well considering Pendolinos alone are used in twelve countries in Europe and others elsewhere, and other brands around the world, I find your claim just a tad specious.
I thought tilting trains were about to save the day.
Since you may have missed the continual reference to it, this pertains to HFR taking the Peterborough route, and the ability of tilting trains to handle curvaceous routes at higher speed, and in many cases, lower wear factors on the rails and flanges. Tilting trains are used in over forty countries. I leave it at that, the case has been made for them many times.

I sense a fantasy here.
lol..

Last edited:
Indeed, a lot of what we're discussing is speculative.
lol...what evidence is there that VIA's about to procure *anything*? And my reference is to the tunnel, and HFR.

Well considering Pendolinos alone are used in twelve countries in Europe and others elsewhere, and other brands around the world, I find your claim just a tad specious.
Since you may have missed the continual reference to it, this pertains to HFR taking the Peterborough route, and the ability of tilting trains to handle curvaceous routes at higher speed, and in many cases, lower wear factors on the rails and flanges. Tilting trains are used in over forty countries.

Oh...I think I see the disconnect - by EMU you are referring to fixed consist trainsets ? Pendolinos I get, I just wouln't have used the term EMU to describe them. Sure, VIA might buy some trainsets for service under wires, and they might have different axle loadings than loco hauled trains, and that might solve the Montreal Nord tunnel issues. Although, I recall the original VIA call for interest specifying mixed use, but who knows if they still stick to that. Anyways, I can't see REM lightening the tunnel to the point where a loco (or power car, if the trainset had them as opposed to true distributed traction) would be a problem. But we don't know enough yet.

- Paul

by EMU you are referring to fixed consist trainsets ?
They can be fixed or broken apart into smaller consists in under a minute. I don't think TC would like it, but it's done on schedules by many nations.

Pendolinos I get, I just wouln't have used the term EMU to describe them.
That's what they are.

Although, I recall the original VIA call for interest specifying mixed use,
VIA has never stated HFR specs separately. At one time, they did infer that they'd be a shared fleet, but that was an RFI, and never did migrate to an RFQ. The RFI was nebulous, to say the least. What it did state as a take-away is *trainset* and *bi-mode*...the latter is problematic for a number of reasons. The RFI also stated: "One supplier*! That could be a consortium or a single manufacturer. IIRC servicing was in the outline too.

Here's the latest Pendolino model (some refer to it as "Pendolino 2"):

I'll just post specs re the state-of-the-art signalling/control system:

Interoperable across borders
Pendolino integrates the ETCS* system, complying with the latest ERTMS** standards and is operable under 4 different voltages, allowing it to run on different networks. Pendolino is certified in 14 countries and performs 7 cross-border journeys daily.

* European Train Control System
** European Railway Traffic Management System

http://www.alstom.com/products-services/product-catalogue/rail-systems/trains/products/pendolino/

I can't see REM lightening the tunnel to the point where a loco (or power car, if the trainset had them as opposed to true distributed traction) would be a problem. But we don't know enough yet.
They are, I've read it in horror, will find it and post it. They might even raise the trackbed for technical reasons, which reduces catenary height in effect, and that alone may bar the use of ALPs or like. EMUs tend to be far more tolerant of lower than standard catenary.

P.S: Note that Alstom manufactures the Pendolino line, and could therefore be contracted/responsible for integrating the signalling and control systems seamlessly HFR to REM.

This may have to be the case for the communication/signalling system on-board *even if* HFR is built by another manufacturer so that nothing can ever go wrong in the tunnel or on shared approaches.

This will be the topic of intense discussion in some circles. (Edit: Not least the regulators)

Last edited:
The southern access to Central will be interesting. The viaduct narrows from 4 tracks to 2 over the water and then back to four to then split - two heading towards Dorval (AMT, VIA) and two towards Victoria Bridge (AMT/Amtrak/VIA) and AMT's yard. That narrowing must cause some congestion at times one would think.

Expanding the viaduct to 5-6 tracks would be a significant capacity uplift. Wellington Tower (similar to the situation at Cherry Street in Toronto) would likely have to be moved if preserved.

Even trickier is threading the elevated REM viaduct past the CN yard/over the CN trackage, especially when AMT needs to be able to proceed in the same direction to access Saint-Charles yard, and does so at present with a flat junction.
6369223121506138.gif

Capture2.thumb.JPG.bc552c365d4d0bcf7e2ada64bd842986.JPG

^ As much as there's questions to be asked as to how this is going to be done, the silver lining to the dust cloud is that whatever those solutions (fixes/fudges) are, they set a precedent for Ontario to copy.

My French is very rusty, so I rely on software translation to read, and there's far more in French on this than in English, so I have to enter every page in French into Google to get it translated. Doing so, this showed, reinforces what @SamStar posted this morning:
Additional investment

As announced by La Presse this morning , the tunnel under Mount Royal, which is very strategic, will be moved in such a way as to allow a hybrid use for the REM and a possible VIA Rail high frequency train between Montreal and Quebec City. By the time the necessary technology is ready, this possible train could stop at the A40 station and its passengers would be transferred to the REM.

The Caisse is preparing to conclude the purchase of the tunnel. This asset, she announced, will be poured into a new subsidiary, InfraMtl.co. The Caisse also announced that it would acquire from CN, the Central Station and the South Viaduct, the one that leaves the station to the south. These two assets will also be integrated into the new subsidiary. The cost of these acquisitions is not included in the $ 6.3 billion announced.
http://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/eco...m-la-caisse-choisit-snc-lavalin-et-alstom.php

Before I pounce on that, I'm going to get another translation, see if I can get one directly from LaPresse. If that info is correct, it throws the claims of at least one other poster out the fenetre.

This is not as done a deal as implied by some quarters.

More information from VIA, in responses to CDPQi's plan for VIA to use the A40 station as a terminus until a technological solution allows VIA trains to operate in CDPQi's tunnel

VIA Rail's spokesperson Mariam Diaby told Le Soleil that there's "no way they'll deploy the HFR in two stages". VIA talks of "insuring interoperability between both projects as soon as they enter service" for better trip flow and "to attract a greater number of new users".

VIA also told Le Soleil: "We are happy that this important milestone of consortium selection is completed. We are available to meet the consortium to learn their technical approach and together determine how to assure access to Central Station for VIA Rail trains on all sections", with inspiration from existing technologies elsewhere in the world.​

source: https://www.lesoleil.com/actualite/...-pour-le-tgf-b4a2d1a29042dfd280678ead72e4627a (my translation)

. If that info is correct, it throws the claims of at least one other poster out the fenetre.

This is not as done a deal as implied by some quarters.
What info? What claim? What do you think isn't a done deal?

What do you think isn't a done deal?
That REM has a green light from all concerned to use the Mount Royal Tunnel as claimed. I'm looking for an application to the CTA, have yet to find one.
https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/search/site/

Perhaps you could supply that? It might be in French, and mine is just barely passable, not good enough for search engines.

Many thanks for the link, and the translation. Until I can see some regulatory approval for what is planned for the tunnel, and by deduction, the loss of a functioning heavy rail line presumably but not necessarily still federally regulated, I remain unconvinced that the project can go ahead as stated. (Edit to Add: I highly suspect a flurry of discussion, and perhaps ultimatums, is going on behind closed doors)

"We are pleased that this important step in the choice of consortium has been made. We remain available to meet with the consortium to learn about their technical approach and together determine how to ensure access to VIA Rail's central train station on all sections "drawing on existing technologies from around the world, commented Ms. Diaby.
https://www.lesoleil.com/actualite/...-pour-le-tgf-b4a2d1a29042dfd280678ead72e4627a

I'm as intrigued by the "drawing on existing technologies from around the world" quote as I am other matters. She's absolutely right in many ways, not the least that solutions *at this time* don't exist in Canada. Not because they can't, but because they're being avoided.

What I really do like is that solutions will have to be found, and Ontario can benefit greatly from that, not least the necessary changes in regulatory sloth.
Étienne Grandmont, Executive Director of Sustainable Transportation Access, believes that the federal government must make tunnel interoperability a strict condition for EMF funding. Ottawa absorbs $ 1.3 billion of a total bill of $ 6.3 billion.
https://www.lesoleil.com/actualite/...-pour-le-tgf-b4a2d1a29042dfd280678ead72e4627a

As @SamStar proffered a day or so back, as did I, this has to be one of the elephants behind the curtain. The reason for the 'sudden change of stance on the tunnel' wasn't down to altruism or just plain common and business sense. It was down to an ultimatum from the Feds. That might have been coupled with a threat to block an application to 'abandon' the present status of that route, the northern leg of which is still used for freight as well as heavy rail passenger.

I'm presently searching for the exact pertaining text in the various Acts and regs. Been quoted a number of times in this string, but the Feds have almost always looked the other way. In this case, with their own plans being impinged if not pizzed on while they pay a quarter of the cost....we'll see.

There's certainly going to be a lot more news to come on this...

Appendice: On the matter of jurisdiction of the the Mount Royal Tunnel:
Decision No. 273-R-2001
May 24, 2001

May 24, 2001

APPLICATION, as amended, filed jointly by the Agence métropolitaine de transport and Metropolitan Railways Inc., pursuant to section 91 of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, for a certificate of fitness to operate a commuter train service on the right of ways owned by the Canadian National Railway Company and the St. Lawrence & Hudson Railway Company Limited in the metropolitan region of Montréal, in the province of Quebec.

File No. R 8005/A3

APPLICATION
On June 6, 2000, the Agence métropolitaine de transport (hereinafter AMT) applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (hereinafter the Agency) for a certificate of fitness to operate a commuter train service on the right of ways owned by the Canadian National Railway Company (hereinafter CN) and the St. Lawrence & Hudson Railway Company Limited (hereinafter CP) in the metropolitan region of Montréal, in the province of Quebec.

By Decision No. LET-R-201-2000 dated July 7, 2000, AMT was requested to provide further clarification concerning its eligibility to apply for a certificate of fitness pursuant to the Canada Transportation Act (hereinafter the CTA). At the same time, CN, CP, Transport Canada and the ministère des Transports of the Province of Quebec were requested to provide comments on the AMT application.
[...continues at length...]
https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/273-r-2001

Unless anyone can show a change of regulatory status since this decision, it seems clear that the Feds have full regulatory status of that line. That parts or all of it were acquired by AMT later will have produced no change in required regulatory status unless approved otherwise.

Btw: This decision has been discussed in circles since, much of it surrounding this paragraph:
[...]
By Decision No. LET-R-317-2000 dated October 30, 2000, the Agency solicited comments from provincial governments as well as provincial transit authorities and operators of specialty train services that operate on the lines of railways under the jurisdiction of the Parliament of Canada and that may be impacted by an Agency decision on the AMT/MRI application.

Submissions were received from the following interveners: Greater Toronto Transit Authority (hereinafter GO Transit), Edmonton Transit System, CN, Government of Alberta - Alberta Infrastructure, West Coast Express Limited (hereinafter WCE) and CP. [...]

Well, one wonders who'll show for the next Tunnel Party when the invites go out?

[...]
POSITIONS OF THE PARTIES
AMT
AMT states that all of the lines on which AMT currently operates its commuter train service and on which it is considering expanding this service belong to either CN or CP. As these lines fall under federal jurisdiction, AMT argues that the Agency has jurisdiction with respect to the present application.

According to AMT, CN and CP continue to operate their freight services on the same railway lines used for running AMT's commuter trains.

AMT points out that VIA Rail, a federal passenger railway company, operates several trains daily on the Saint-Hilaire line. AMT also maintains that the Agency has jurisdiction over passenger transportation services to ensure the implementation of the national transportation policy.

AMT states that, under these circumstances, the Agency, pursuant to the CTA, has jurisdiction over these lines, and hence has the right to recognize an agency that is operating services on these lines as a railway company.

AMT cites in support of its position the decision of the Supreme Court of Canada in Her Majesty The Queen in the Right of the Province of Ontario v. Board of Transport Commissioners (1968) S.C.R., 118 (hereinafter the GO Transit Decision), in which the Supreme Court of Canada recognized the Board of Transport Commissioners' (a predecessor of the Agency) jurisdiction over GO Transit. AMT states that the situation described in that decision does not differ from the one in which AMT finds itself today with respect to its operations on the railway infrastructure.

According to AMT, the GO Transit Decision establishes two things. The first is that a transportation undertaking operates a railway when it uses a railway to transport passengers, even if the railway as such belongs to another person. The second is that such a transportation undertaking becomes subject to federal jurisdiction as soon as it provides transportation on a railway that falls under federal jurisdiction, even if this undertaking transports passengers only within the boundaries of a single province.

AMT submits that the Supreme Court of Canada decided implicitly in the GO Transit Decision that the commuter service was subject to the jurisdiction of the Board of Transport Commissioners and the legislative authority of Parliament. AMT argues that it is hard to conceive how the jurisdiction over railway tariffs in that case for commuter train service could have been established unless the commuter service itself was considered a federal railway undertaking. Though it is not mentioned explicitly, AMT argues that the Supreme Court of Canada considered GO Transit a "federal railway undertaking" precisely because it was participating in the operation of a federal railway, which explains why it was subject to the federal railway regulations then applicable to such undertakings.

AMT believes that because it has the right to operate its commuter train service on lines that are subject to federal jurisdiction, it must apply to the Agency to obtain a certificate of fitness; AMT already has, and will continue to have after it has carried out its future plans, all the characteristics of a railway company, and the same will be true of MRI. Thus, AMT is entitled to apply for and be issued a certificate of fitness if the Agency is satisfied that AMT has the liability insurance specified by regulation, including acceptable self-insurance. In this respect, AMT states that it has such insurance, including self-insurance.
[...]
GO Transit
GO Transit asserts that AMT is not currently an operating railway company as it does not own any rail corridors in its own right, it does not maintain any track, nor does it dispatch or crew any trains. As such, GO Transit does not support the issuance of a certificate to AMT or MRI on jurisdictional grounds.
[...continues at great and detailed length...]
https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/273-r-2001

The final ruling was on the legal status of being a "Railway" or not for AMT. But what's of complete relevance immediately is what the ruling held as to the status of the line through the Tunnel and pertinence to other operators, GO Transit and VIA included.

Last edited:
I am tempted to say that the federal funding had to do with this decision. This is purely speculative.

I got the chance to speak to a few people close to the project and it would seem that interoperability was indeed a sine qua non for federal money. From what I understood, VIA trains will be outfitted with automatic capabilities compatible with the REM's, allowing the control centre to take charge of the trains entering the shared portion. This portion will have a gauntlet track allowing for the much wider VIA trains to not crash into the platforms for the narrower REM trains. A similar solution is used along SF's SMART line, where the narrower trains use the rails closest to the platform to allow for gap-less boarding and the wider trains use the ones further away so as not to crash into the platform.

611px-SMART-Station-Sonoma-County-Airport-gauntlet-track-2016-06-07-173221.jpg

I didn't ask whether the VIA trains would also be making stops at the REM stations, but I'd imagine it's unlikely, if only for ticketing reasons and the fact that VIA trains take a lot longer to alight/board than LRT. If they don't, then I'd imagine the trains would travel quite slowly through the tunnel portion since they'd be travelling behind the stopping REM trains (who have 4 stops in the shared section).

I'm almost certain that interoperability also means that HFR will be electric, or at least bi-modal, since diesel trains wouldn't be able to operate through the tunnel without asphyxiating the people waiting in the two tunnel stations and possibly the train's passengers.

All in all, this is a very, very good news story for HFR. It signals a noticeable federal commitment to the project (I'm certain teeth had to be pulled at CDPQ to get this significant concession for HFR), and it will force VIA to make sure that HFR is modern with things like electric/hybrid trains and top-of-the-line CBTC(-like) signalling. This makes me very optimistic for HFR.

Many thanks for that @Aylmer. I'm confident all that you claim will come out in the press in the near future, but looking beyond that, and the apparent situation of the Feds 'having VIA's back' on this...are the Feds now going to champion 'European' (Int'l) regulations and standards to allow VIA to order 'off the shelf' international class trainsets, at least for HFR?

The modern return of the gauntlet is interesting, albeit the NYSubway still has some in use, and even tram systems in Europe still use them on narrow streets.
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3117345

It might also be a 'workaround' for Metrolinx having to share some lines with freight still rather than using 'gap plates' that retract on coaches for high-level platforms. I'd worry a bit for express run-through of stations with them, but there might be ways to address that as there would be for HFR clearing Metro platforms.
For rail lines that share tracks with freight, there are two options to achieve level boarding for passenger trains and providing necessary side clearance for freight trains:

• Gauntlet track – A track slightly located away from, but overlaps the main track. SMART has chosen this approach to meet ADA requirement of level boarding for new rail systems.
  • Bridge plate – A plate would extend from the platform to the car door for passenger trains and would be pulled away for freight trains. Sprinter in Northern San Diego County use this approach.

Bridge plate at Sprinter platform. The plates are lowered for freight trains running at night.

Gauntlet track for the WES system in Tualatin Oregon. SMART will use the same type of vehicle and platform arrangement.
Besides those two approaches, the other way to achieve level boarding is to change the CPUC regulations. High level platforms are common in the Northeast corridor. In Salt Lake City, FrontRunner commuter rail system have level boarding at all stations with standard Bombardier cars. In both cases, physical constraints still leave a platform gap large enough that a small bridge plate is required for some wheelchair users to board and exit.
http://www.bayrailalliance.org/level_boarding

Edit to Add: Just checking the width of the UK version Pendolino and the Singapore version of Metropolis, and it appears both are available in different width options. The UK has a smaller loading and carriage gauge than most of the EU, and perhaps Singapore is maxing their loading gauge, but the point is that platform gap and height may not be a problem at all.

And if that's the case...well...perhaps the HFR, since it must do the 'compatible dance' through the tunnel, might as well stop at the mid-tunnel station planned, as well as at each portal. That might be something CDPQ are very irritated with, but on this, at least legally, it seems the Feds have the upper hand, and they're using it.

This might just be sweet comeuppance.
I'm almost certain that interoperability also means that HFR will be electric, or at least bi-modal, since diesel trains wouldn't be able to operate through the tunnel without asphyxiating the people waiting in the two tunnel stations and possibly the train's passengers.
If you include locos (e.g. ALP-45DP) there's the problem of retrofitting to accept the low voltage DC (1500V?), whereas many/most EMU trainsets (certainly the Pendolinos and more) are available dual current and voltage (low voltage DC and 25kVAC) with in motion automatic switching built-in.

For technical and cost reasons, it would be far cheaper for REM to stay at the planned (1500?)VDC and new VIA trainsets to accommodate that. I think *not* being diesel in any way for HFR is a huge advantage in PR, as well as elan of operation. If diesel is really needed in spots, a 'diesel helper' could be added and dropped as necessary. (e.g. At Union to run-on to K/W or London until that line electrified)

Btw: It's ironic that the Mount Royal Tunnel was initially electrified at 1500VDC until 'modernisation' a few decades back to 25kVAC. And now it's to go back to what it was.

The advantage for low-voltage DC catenary is the elimination of the traction transformer on the vehicle, it's weight, and the inserted 'source impedance' under high-torque loading. Lo-volt is better for urban systems generally speaking. Switching power supplies have diluted that advantage in the last couple of decades, however.

Last edited:
I guess that explains why VIA seemed so unconcerned previously about REM, making little comment about the tunnel proposal. They knew they already had what they wanted in the bag.

Good to finally see Montreal getting Line 3! Only took 60 years. Most of the original primary alignment too!

Last edited:
^ As much as there's questions to be asked as to how this is going to be done, the silver lining to the dust cloud is that whatever those solutions (fixes/fudges) are, they set a precedent for Ontario to copy.
I don't see much cross-over at all. The Montreal issues are all about tunnel access, and the platforms at Gare Centrale. It's pretty minor after that.

And how long did this fairly small accommodation take? The core of this was first announced in October 1961. Presumably discussions with CN predate that. But how far back?

I haven't been through the tunnel for a couple of decades; probably since just before they the major upgrades to the Deux-Montagnes line.

Has VIA stopped using the tunnel then? Which makes me wonder where the services through Joliette go now.

And all CN freight has ended?

As discussed the trains will be 3m wide and have highfloor so I'm not sure I would call them LRV's.
"LRT" can mean high or low floor and platforms. Edmonton uses both, the newer line will be low floor, and incompatible with the high floor one.

Btw: Have REM themselves actually stated vehicle width at the floor level? Alstom especially make a point of how they will build to suit within a very wide latitude. I suspect this is still a point of discussion with VIA, or if not, will be.

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php...algary-edmonton-adopt-low-floor-approach.html

Urban LRT :: City of Edmonton
https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/transit/urban-lrt.aspx
High-Floor LRT Vehicles. High floor LRT vehicle. Edmonton's existing LRT uses high-floor technology. Most of the mechanical equipment is located at the bottom of the vehicle, requiring elevated passenger doors and raised platforms/stations.
[PDF]Urban High-Floor LRT in Edmonton - City of Edmonton
https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/PDF/UrbanLRT_FactSheet.pdf
High Floor Urban LRT In Edmonton - Page 1 of 2 www.edmonton.ca/LRTProjects. January 2010. Urban High-Floor LRT in Edmonton. Fact Sheet. LRT Network Plan. The City of Edmonton is focused on expanding its Light Rail Transit (LRT) Network to encourage greater use of public transit, smart growth and more transit- ...

It's just occurred to me what one of CDPQ's greatest fears is in sharing the tunnel with VIA:
Railway Safety Act Review - 2007
[...]
Chapter 4: Regulatory Framework

The regulatory framework for railway safety encompasses the federal and provincial legislation, regulations, rules, and standards that provide the structure in which railway companies can operate safely. Some 34 Canadian railways1 have interprovincial or Canada-U.S. operations and are therefore regulated by federal law. These include the two major freight-carrying railways, CN and CP,2 the passenger rail company VIA Rail, and more than 30 short line companies. Another 62 railways3 (excluding industrial lines) operate entirely within a single province and are, therefore, regulated by provincial governments.
[...]
4.2 Provincial Railway Safety Legislation
[...]
Saskatchewan and Quebec have taken a different approach by developing their own legislation without reference to the federal Railway Safety Act. These provinces operate on a consultation model, under which they choose the manner in which the various provisions of their own safety regimes will reflect the RSA system. For example, Saskatchewan uses a combination of powers in its Act and guidelines to regulate its provincial railways. The Saskatchewan legislation is more performance-based than the federal RSA and does not provide for industry rule making.
[...]
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tcss/RSA_review/chapter4-374.htm

Without addressing the *legal* aspects of the above (and there's more potential conflict elsewhere in Acts and Statutes), the CDPQ bit this off when they and the Province asked for Federal funds, seeming to overlook that it would come with 'conditions'. And that's beyond the necessity to deal with the CTA on the status of the existing rail service through the Mount Royal Tunnel, an unavoidable invitation to legal/jurisdictional confrontation alone.

I can't believe that the CDPQ and PQ Gov't weren't aware of these issues when they first launched into this, or if they were, what were they thinking?

Edit to Add: It may seem abstract and unconnected to this string, but the Feds quietly (as far as we can tell, there could have been a shidstorm behind closed doors) keeping their cool and ammunition dry has echoes to the USRC in Toronto, and the Rail Deck Park, City and ORCA.

Last edited:

Back