News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 949     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

VIA Rail

Found and old diagram of the Montreal central station:
Not that old. It has René Lévesque on it.

Gosh, I hadn't realised there were platforms that got so close to Cathcart. The amount of time I would have saved if there were entrances to platforms from Cathcart rather than having all the way down to the station building. You are closer to Metro McGill here than Metro Bonaventure.

And more tracks than Union Station as well. You just don't realise that looking at it.

There are two REM stops within the tunnel, and two more past the tunnel before the junction with the heavy-rail tracks.
McGill and Edouard-Montpetit in the tunnel - though the McGill platform would be barely inside the tunnel; I'd think the platform would stretch to near Cathcart.

But there'd be 3 to the north. Portal Heights, Mount Royal, and the new station between Mount Royal and Vertu. Assuming there's to be no junction with with the CP heavy-rail tracks south of Portal Heights, which carries the Blainville service. The REM plans do show that Portal Heights - renamed Canora - as a station on the Blainville line.

BTW, I was looking for an old map before they build Central station, and you can see the old south Portal (presumably with Cathcart crossing right there).

upload_2018-2-13_15-23-10.png

And here's a plan from just after it was constructed.

upload_2018-2-13_15-30-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-13_15-23-10.png
    upload_2018-2-13_15-23-10.png
    475.6 KB · Views: 800
  • upload_2018-2-13_15-30-56.png
    upload_2018-2-13_15-30-56.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 779
Last edited:
h the McGill platform would be barely inside the tunnel; I'd think the platform would stretch to near Cathcart.

The station box will be located one block north of that, between Ste-Catherine and De Maisonneuve, where the pedestrian passage between both malls is located.

27U8WtO.jpg

But there'd be 3 to the north. Portal Heights, Mount Royal, and the new station between Mount Royal and Vertu

The REM tracks will not be shared with VIA at the level of this new station. There will be a heavy rail track on the east side, where commuter rail users will transfer.

hzJL1A3.png

image.jpeg.fa32e35fd72e16059043f2894f1ee9fe.jpeg

Seeing the track layout stripped away from all the buildings above makes me wish for a complete development of the station to an open concept station similar Berlin Central or Hamburg Central. A roof that lets in lots of light and a sense of grandeur. I might be deep in the ground by the time it happens but I am hopeful.

Apparently the Federal Budget will come down February 27th. That's just around the corner.

"Truth or Consequences Day" for VIA equipment renewal, and perhaps other things.

If there's nothing in the budget for VIA, it's time to change channels.

- Paul

Google translation from French:
leNouvelliste, Trois-Rivières
February 13, 2018 Updated February 12, 2018 at 9:45 pm

The light at the end of the tunnel

Will we one day what could actually happen to that in a few weeks, sharing the Mount Royal tunnel becomes possible between REM and the future high-frequency train passing by the north shore? At the same time as the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec announced changes to the EMN project and a revision of the projected costs, it was eliminated in one fell swoop what appeared to be the main obstacle to VIA Rail's TGF project. Will it be enough to move forward?

There was a sigh of relief last week for those who wanted the North Shore High Frequency Train project to materialize. In Quebec City and Trois-Rivières, particularly. With reason.

Because in recent months, it was feared that the TGF project would be buried even before dying, because of the impossibility of coexistence, in the famous Mount Royal tunnel, trains of the Metropolitan Express Network (REM) and those of the high frequency service of the north shore. It had been decided that the railway tracks of the tunnel should be for the exclusive use of the future REM, which meant that the high-frequency train should have made its stop at a station located in the outskirts of Montreal, probably in the area of the train. junction of highways 40 and 15. Impossible to have direct access to Central Station.

But suddenly, this obstacle seems lifted. By choosing a technology that allows the trains to share the tracks in the narrow 100-year-old tunnel, the TGF will be able to access the Central Station even if the EMN runs in the same corridor several times an hour.

Why had not we considered this before? Why had we condemned cohabitation prematurely? Is the famous technology needed for channel sharing already available? Is it only realistic?

The seemingly good news hides perhaps an extension of the deadlines for the completion of the TGF project. Already, it is estimated that VIA Rail will take between two and four years to make it happen once the company has all the required approvals.

Last Friday, Robert Aubin, Member of Parliament for Trois-Rivières, signed a letter in these pages in which he urged the Liberal government of Justin Trudeau to move forward with the necessary funding for the project. In recent years, the hon. Member has not stopped insisting on the passenger train record, and that is to his credit. On the issue of funding, we are very much looking forward to Bill Morneau's next budget. The key that will unlock the north shore railways to passenger trains is probably in this exercise.

The Accès Transportables viable organization, present in the Quebec City region to promote sustainable modes of travel and defend the rights of public transit users, launched an interesting idea last week. To avoid long delays, the agency believes that the federal government must make tunnel interoperability a strict condition for EMF funding. It's far from stupid.

And it could ensure a minimum of simultaneity in the realization of both projects, which would ensure that for once, there would not be that for Montreal. The North Shore has been waiting for the return of passenger trains for longer than the Quartier Dix-30 is waiting for a metro train service.
https://www.lenouvelliste.ca/opinio...ut-du-tunnel-71516350e8a005e6cce60e6d6a8a7cef

My problem if you want to call it that with Trois Rivieres is not so much that it shouldn't happen but that it tells us little about VIA's priorities. There is a lot to like about increasing service out of a core VIA city like Montreal but there will be significant capital expenditure required to provision a route along the North Shore and presumably in Quebec City given track and platform limitations. Suddenly the "new passengers per $m capex/opex" looks thinner. And if a different city-pair can demonstrate a similar return per $ spend, it's just going to be the same old "well that MP isn't as in favour with the cabinet as the member for Trois Rivieres" and "we gave you (VIA) a ton of money on these unicorn REM compatible trains and now here you are back wanting more things".

Seeing the track layout stripped away from all the buildings above makes me wish for a complete development of the station to an open concept station similar Berlin Central or Hamburg Central. A roof that lets in lots of light and a sense of grandeur. I might be deep in the ground by the time it happens but I am hopeful.

I felt that way too, looking at this picture from the '50s

If80E17.jpg

Welp, that ship has sailed

but there will be significant capital expenditure required to provision a route along the North Shore and presumably in Quebec City given track and platform limitations.

What platfom limitations?

To what? Liberals teased this in late 1970s and early 1980s. Which came to naught other than some nice reports.

We've ha 3 different Tory PMs since then, with not even a nibble.

Welp, that ship has sailed
You never know. St Pancras was in danger of being demolished in the 1960's and now it's the gateway to continental Europe and London's flagship station. Those commercial buildings over the platforms are probably going to get more dated with more renovations needed. At some point, we'll ask: should we renovate or rebuild?

If a complete rebuild does happen. I hope to see a single span iron/glass roof along with a grand entrance that welcomes visitors arriving to Montreal and to catch their trains. AT the corners of the station, commercial buildings could be built to compensate for the demolition of the old commercials buildings. But that would require the destruction of many buildings over the station.

Apparently the Federal Budget will come down February 27th. That's just around the corner.

"Truth or Consequences Day" for VIA equipment renewal, and perhaps other things.

- Paul

Even if they have equipment renewal funding though, it tells us absolutely nothing about HFR. Equipment renewal means that VIA continues to offer sub-par and less than reliable worse which will only get worse as freight traffic grows on their current corridor.

At the pace we are going, VIA might be made obsolete by self-driving cars!

I think that Gare Centrale might actually get a rebuild sooner than we think. At rush hours, the station concourse is already at capacity as it is. And if HFR attains its ridership goals (triple the current on triple the frequency) and REM multiplies ridership, then the situation will quickly become untenable and even unsafe; you simply can't have that many people waiting in that small a space. I could see them expanding/rebuilding the station on top of the ageing parkade to the south of the station. This would allow them to not only have more space to move about and wait, but it would also allow for additional stairs down to the platforms so that trains can alight faster and more safely.

A rough sketch: the existing station hall in red, with the parkade in yellow where the expansion could be built.

Gare Centrale.png

Attachments

• Gare Centrale.png
    Gare Centrale.png
    429.1 KB · Views: 831
What platfom limitations?
As best I can tell Gare du Palais has 2 high floor platforms - fixable - but only two approach tracks which are shared with CN's yard and the Port's. How many daily movements can VIA reasonably expect to get?

As best I can tell Gare du Palais has 2 high floor platforms - fixable - but only two approach tracks which are shared with CN's yard and the Port's. How many daily movements can VIA reasonably expect to get?

A little more signalling, a couple more crossovers, and that should not be a problem. Look at how the single track lines out of Ottawa handle plenty of trains today.

- Paul

upload_2018-2-16_21-34-18.png

Look to me like it's more than enough. VIA's current plan is to run 18 trains a day per direction to/from Quebec city: 8 south shore departures and 10 north shore departures. So we're talking about 36 movements a day. You could probably double that number and not run into problems.

I'd be more concerned about the platform situation in Montreal.

Track 23: Amtrak preclearance platform
Track 21-22: RTM Mont-St-Hilaire
Track 9-12: REM Platform
Track 4-8: REM train storage

nOSZG7n.jpg

That means VIA is forever limited to platforms 13-20.

centralstationtracks.png

Is that enough room to grow?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-16_21-34-18.png
    upload_2018-2-16_21-34-18.png
    682 KB · Views: 804
  • centralstationtracks.png
    centralstationtracks.png
    181.2 KB · Views: 1,088

Back