News   Mar 18, 2024
 706     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 763     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

You must understand, Dentrobate, that buways or LRT feeding into the subway at Steeles will fill up just the same as if you extended the subway north.

Subway to a non-existent Pickering International but no subway to Pearson?

actually it has light rail going to both airports ;) and it's a 'future' map which is why it contains some items that don't exist in present time.

maps have lines that go no further than Steeles

one of these days I'll get around to making a regional fantasy map, this gives me an idea to add an arrow graphic representing 'possible regional extension'

flash doesn't offer a pallet large enough to show everything I want to show

flash would only really be needed if you wanted to animate, add music, make things clickable, or do something that requires using it's programing language (ActionScript). I might be able to help.

flash would only really be needed if you wanted to animate, add music, make things clickable, or do something that requires using it's programing language (ActionScript). I might be able to help.

I created the map using scalable vector graphics files which i downloaded from here. The easiest way to make the map was copy and paste them into flash so I could use the object snapping to make sure they align correctly.

You must understand, Dentrobate, that buways or LRT feeding into the subway at Steeles will fill up just the same as if you extended the subway north.

That's already happening though. All those GO/YRT/VIVA/Brampton buses that feed into Finch GO Terminal in effect make it that by York Mills all new passengers will have to stand. Either a subway extension or new LRT/BRT would merely switch modes of transit with regular buses.

Meanwhile there's a GO station at Richmond Hill Centre that's extremely underutilized and feeds directly into the CBD. As far as I know, the Richmond Hill GO line is exclusive to transit, no freight, so why not increase the frequency of daily trips to at least once per hour like on Lakeshore? There's no stopping the 905 extensions I guess but a secondary east-west line along with special consideration of Pearson, downtown, Don Mills, Scarborough should be higher priorities.

actually it has light rail going to both airports ;) and it's a 'future' map which is why it contains some items that don't exist in present time.

My mistake. I was looking in the wrong place for the Pearson extension. I was looking where Humber and Martingrove are.

Transit Toronto 2050

Click Above to see the map

Toronto Transit 2050
A Future Map of the transit network in Toronto.

Hey guys, this is a fantasy map I created of what Toronto's transit system might look in 2050. Hopefully by this time, transit will become a true priority for the city, 'transit city' lines will be built, new Light-Rail Vehicles will be here, and streetcar lines will be right of way. As you can see, it is one integrated system, with the major streetcar (LRT) routes merged with the subway routes, as it should be, to promote the usage of the lines and unify the system.

In my observations, the average citizen in Toronto does not know or care about the potential transit system that Toronto can have. I have created this map hoping to spread it and influence people's views for pro-transit. What do you guys think?

Would be most effective to distribute it along with a map showing what Madrid built in a much shorter period. Might get people in the mind of asking why things we're routinely told are impossible seem to happen an awful lot in other countries, many of them poorer than Canada.

Nice effort!

You've retained the black background which is very unique to Toronto (and Montreal).

I think everyone gets excited when they see pretty maps of what our future system "could" look like, but there's a built-in "it's never going to happen," "it's way too expensive" or "where's the subway to Brampton, do you know how many people live here now?" mentality that prevents most of the GTA populace from really going after their politicians and demanding something akin to what you've offered.

In my observations, the average citizen in Toronto does not know or care about the potential transit system that Toronto can have.

I think a lot of them do, only if properly provoked (such as getting them to go ride another city's transit system). For instance, I have heard on many an occasion a CBC (Chinese-born Canadian) saying on his/her first trip to Hong Kong, "if transit in Toronto was as convenient like that, I'd give up the car."

Nice effort!

You've retained the black background which is very unique to Toronto (and Montreal).

I think everyone gets excited when they see pretty maps of what our future system "could" look like, but there's a built-in "it's never going to happen," "it's way too expensive" or "where's the subway to Brampton, do you know how many people live here now?" mentality that prevents most of the GTA populace from really going after their politicians and demanding something akin to what you've offered.

I agree, it is sad and unfortunate that when people view 'future' maps, they think its cool, but its not going to happen. This is due to the many disappointments that Toronto has faced, due to lack of funding, shifts in political power, etc. However, in the next 50 years, congestion will grow tremendously and it important that people do not lose faith on our transportation system (TTC).

I updated my map and you can find it here

The only big change was changing the blackground to black and that meant I had to revamp the symbolization. There were also minor changes and additions of some lines and also added a disclaimer so I don't get threatened with lawsuit by the TTC :rolleyes:. I also fixed some bugs of the PDF file because some lines weren't displaying properly, and maybe they still don't since it depends on the computer.

I've got one - the Subway on Hurontario only goes to Britannia Road, just perpetuating the rather dumb thinking behind the MT 19A. Is it something Doady has against Brampton? :p

Otherwise, not bad at all.

Back