News   May 17, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 649     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.1K     7 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Really really sad to see rapid bus transit having stations much much better than this LRT...

People along Eglinton are getting shortchanged...

Really really sad to see rapid bus transit having stations much much better than this LRT...

Most if not all of downtown have far worse shelters than these ones proposed for Eglinton, and they are and will be far more heavily used as well. You wanted to talk about getting "shortchanged"?

AoD

Most if not all of downtown have far worse shelters than these ones proposed for Eglinton, and they are and will be far more heavily used as well. You wanted to talk about getting "shortchanged"?

AoD
Those kind of stations are acceptable for buses, but really too poor of quality for LRTs imo.

I know the Spadina streetcars have stations that are similarly bad, and that's why I never liked that line.

Those kind of stations are acceptable for buses, but really too poor of quality for LRTs imo.

I know the Spadina streetcars have stations that are similarly bad, and that's why I never liked that line.

That didn't really answer the question though - if you are saying Eglinton is shortchanged, then Spadina, Harbourfront and even St. Clair is even more extremely short-changed, both as an absolute statement of the condition and relative to ridership. People have been using them for ages now, why is that acceptable there and not here?

AoD

That didn't really answer the question though - if you are saying Eglinton is shortchanged, then Spadina, Harbourfront and even St. Clair is even more extremely short-changed, both as an absolute statement of the condition and relative to ridership. People have been using them for ages now, why is that acceptable there and not here?

AoD
We've seen them do better with rapid bus transit .... there's no reason they can't do better now. It's 2017 now, not 1997. We expect better now.

If Rosedale & Davisville Stations can use a "cheap" outdoor platform cover, so can the outdoor stops on the Crosstown.
I don't think they'd be much complaining if the shelters were that extensive. The ones on the Eglinton line don't look wide enough to block a lot of the rain - and have no wing-walls, so no protection from the wind.

AoD

Almost as if you need to spend more money on design to make transit attractive in an area dominated by private automobiles, compared to an area where ~80% of travel is done by transit, walking, and cycling.

I have serious concerns with the above ground portion of this line and how slow and delay-prone it will be, but saying "People along Eglinton are getting shortchanged" is a bit odd when you factor in the fact that those people overwhelmingly vote for fiscal conservative politicians at every opportunity. You could probably say they got a great value for their money.

Almost as if you need to spend more money on design to make transit attractive in an area dominated by private automobiles, compared to an area where ~80% of travel is done by transit, walking, and cycling.

Because making it over-the-top pretty, curved glazing and all (a la Viva) will result in a significant ridership increase over the current baselined design, which is already superior to most existing at grade transit stops? For a predominantly strip mall/big box environment?

AoD

Last edited:
Because making it over-the-top pretty, curved glazing and all (a la Viva) will result in a significant ridership increase over the current baselined design, which is already superior to most existing at grade transit stops? For a predominantly strip mall/big box environment?

AoD

We're spending $6.6 billion (year of expenditure $) on this line and $200 million on streetscape improvements (Eglinton connects) so it seems strange to scrimp on shelters.

Last edited:
We're spending $8 billion (year of expenditure) on this line and $200 million on streetscape improvements (Eglinton connects) so it seems strange to scrimp on shelters.

It's not scrimp - it's what's the value added beyond what's being proposed, especially keeping in mind a) lifecycle of above around shelters and b) ridership. Are we doing this because of overwhelming need and increase in efficiency/comfort this offers - or are we doing it because of insecurity? If you want to argue for selected enclosure or heating sure, but Viva is sheer overkill. And on top of that - it isn't like I can't think of a myriad of ways to suck up each cent spent above and beyond this that will provide greater impact to transit riders at large.

AoD

Last edited:

Back