Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I happened to see this new 407 station from the airplane coming in to YYZ a few days ago. I'm sure it has been said, but seems like a big waste of money to build extravagant stations when they could be incorporated into new high-rise or midrise developments. The renders seem to suggest that the station will be a place where people want to go and hang out and be leisurely. Given all of the suburban subway projects sucking the life out of Toronto higher order transit, the only solution is de-amalgamation. The political position of the "old" city is at the back of the line. Why put up with that?

Not to nit pick or anything but 407 station was never going to be an Urban dream, it was designed as a massive commuter parking station and significant Transit transfer station (Should the 407 GO BRT ever get off the ground). No one was ever going to hang out at 407 station leisurely. I believe you have mistaken it for the Vaughan Centre station, which what they had planned to be an attractive urban station.

Not to nit pick or anything but 407 station was never going to be an Urban dream, it was designed as a massive commuter parking station and significant Transit transfer station (Should the 407 GO BRT ever get off the ground). No one was ever going to hang out at 407 station leisurely. I believe you have mistaken it for the Vaughan Centre station, which what they had planned to be an attractive urban station.

well one does have to ask themselves if thats the case: what the hell was the TTC thinking when they designed this?!

I've only seen the 407 station from the road and it does look kind of large. But it's designed to handle all the car parking and has a pretty big bus bay and (in theory), eventually an interface with the Transitway. I mean, I guess they could have built something virtually invisible but I'm going to give it more time before I say it's a waste.

(for the record, I think the York U station is the best I've seen. It's a landmark that really fits into the existing landscape. some of the others I have yet to see up close.)

One of the great ironies is that the main thing people bash about the subway is that it's going to "nowhere," in York Region.
But everything else they bash about it - the grandiose station designs, the cost overruns (which York Region was stuck paying their share for, BTW), the interminable delays - are all on TTC. Aside from existing at the end of the line, York Region and Vaughan aren't responsible for a single one of the problems with the line, so far.

I don't give a shit whether the stations are barns, Quonset huts or the Taj Mahal. I am so glad to see something other than new buses in the city. We all spend a ton of time commuting to work. Why can't the public infrastructure be interesting?

Would you rather under-build the stations and have the buses and streetcars lined up in the street because the bus and streetcar loops are too small? Think Broadview. When the new flexities are there, they will be lined up down Broadview. Two CLRVs barely fit nose to tail as it is in either the 504 or the 505 loop. In other threads, the Kipling station bus loops are under fire for being under-built. If the system wasn't underbuilt, we wouldn't be complaining about crush loads and feeling squeezed and being packed in like sardines.

The money spent will be a rounding error in a decade.

It should be just "Line 1 North Extension" because based on the way the "Line 1" designation gets used around here (and by the TTC too) it means you don't need to differentiate between the Yonge Line and the University-Spadina Line anymore. Everyone will understand what's being talked about from context.

It should be just "Line 1 North Extension" because based on the way the "Line 1" designation gets used around here (and by the TTC too) it means you don't need to differentiate between the Yonge Line and the University-Spadina Line anymore. Everyone will understand what's being talked about from context.

That's confusing though because even though it's technically one line, from a practical standpoint it works as two separate lines. It also happens to have two northern branches, so if you said Line-1 northern extension I'd assume you'd be talking about the extension to Richmond Hill, which is also in the works.

I feel like the purpose of changing wording/naming is to remove points of confusion, not to create them.

I feel like the purpose of changing wording/naming is to remove points of confusion, not to create them.
I was making a joke :)
There are often ambiguous references to "Line 1" (when someone actually means to refer specifically to either the Yonge or the University-Spadina part of the line) that wouldn't have been ambiguous in the pre-Line-designation days.

Personally, I don't think the "Line 1" moniker needs to be added, because it still needs the "University-Spadina" qualifier regardless to have any meaning. But I suppose I don't see the harm in adding it.

That's confusing though because even though it's technically one line, from a practical standpoint it works as two separate lines. It also happens to have two northern branches, so if you said Line-1 northern extension I'd assume you'd be talking about the extension to Richmond Hill, which is also in the works.

Line 1 Northwest Extension

Back