News   Mar 28, 2024
 390     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 715     0 

Scotiabank Cinema

From what I've been reading the laser system is still in development and isn't expected to roll out until 2015, they must be installing digital. Presumably they'll keep the IMAX film projector in place for a while should it be needed in the future. I suspect that they need to close the auditorium for sound upgrades, to reduce the size of the screen (install movable masking perhaps?) and presumably, to re-align some of the seating at the front off to the sides. I don't like IMAX digital at all.

http://www.techradar.com/news/world...e-future-for-our-cinemas-1158762?src=rss#null

Last edited:
From what I've been reading the laser system is still in development and isn't expected to roll out until 2015, they must be installing digital. Presumably they'll keep the IMAX film projector in place for a while should it be needed in the future. I suspect that they need to close the auditorium for sound upgrades, to reduce the size of the screen (install movable masking perhaps?) and presumably, to re-align some of the seating at the front off to the sides. I don't like IMAX digital at all.

http://www.techradar.com/news/world...e-future-for-our-cinemas-1158762?src=rss#null

Maybe, I have misheard the news and you are probably right about the digital installation but they will not keep the old IMAX projector since it has been already dismantled from what I seen at the loading dock.

Wow, how sad. Real IMAX is officially dead in Toronto.

If you get any news on what's happening in there please keep us posted.

Not 100% sure but I think ScotiaBank Theatre (Paramount Toronto) was a 90s KPMB project. It certainly lost bit of shine over the years.

AoD

Not really related, but ScotiaBank Theatre could really use a reno. It screams 1990s (and not in the good way).

Really ? I disagree ... its still one of my favorite theaters in Toronto.

That's not to say it couldn't used a reno but I think its better then most new builds by cineplex.

taal:

Well, most of the new builds are out in the burbs anyways, so we don't really have all that many downtown comparator. The only two multiplexes not in the big box format I can think of is the Varsity and the old 10 Dundas E ex-AMC.

AoD

taal:

Well, most of the new builds are out in the burbs anyways, so we don't really have all that many downtown comparator. The only two multiplexes not in the big box format I can think of is the Varsity and the old 10 Dundas E ex-AMC.

AoD

Sure, and I prefer scotiabank to both of those ! I honestly don't find the decor very dated, its held up well. The outside (namely the cube) could use work to restore.

taal:

AoD

We still have the Carlton & Market Square (opened 1982/1984 - if you want to call them cinemas) and Bloor Hot Docs, which is sort of downtown. TIFF Lightbox too.

Does that mean the cinema will be 18+?
It would be more like the existing VIP auditoriums in other Cineplex theatres (and those auditoriums do screen major Hollywood films rated 14A and lower most of the time; they just happen to serve alcohol and bar anyone under 19, which means no noisy children).

Back