News   Mar 28, 2024
 299     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 260     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 294     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

The new cab cars have now LED head and ditch lights that can be seen in the distance even in daylight. They can be blinding even in daylight.

The new cars are up to 330 in service since I caught it At Exhibition Station as well 305

The new cab cars have now LED head and ditch lights that can be seen in the distance even in daylight. They can be blinding even in daylight.
No kidding Sherlock.

I glimpsed -- they are the brightest LED lights I've ever seen, even brighter than the LED Superbowl 2015 stadium lights. From a distance, the pinpoint of LED light looked like it had an areal intensity similar to the Sun when focussed down the track. Fully sunny day, and it's like a mirror in the distance reflecting the sun into my eyes. That LED is THAT bright on a blue-sky sunny day.

Thankfully, two out of the three lights turns off when the train approaches the platform.

Last edited:
No kidding Sherlock.

I glimpsed -- they are the brightest LED lights I've ever seen, even brighter than the LED Superbowl 2015 stadium lights. From a distance, the pinpoint of LED light looked like it had an areal intensity similar to the Sun when focussed down the track. Fully sunny day, and it's like a mirror in the distance reflecting the sun into my eyes. That LED is THAT bright on a blue-sky sunny day.

Thankfully, two out of the three lights turns off when the train approaches the platform.
You know, I have never noticed this from the day I shot 308 out for testing on my train to Burlington on video last year. All my other videos, including photos of them show the new lights, but never paid attention to them until some talked about them.

Haven't seen any cabs the last 2 weeks, decided to get some shots yesterday. Never notice the lights on the cabs over by Mimico until I got to the EX station. The first New cab car I saw in the distant as it past Bathurst St heading west, you could see the different between it and the exiting one with its headlights on. Once it turn on the ditch light, blur the cab car out until it got closer to the station.

All but one express train turn off the ditch light at the stations.

I love the new LED lights, which started to appear for the first time several months ago it's something they definitely got right. In addition to being much more power they're far more focused. It's a huge relief to actually be able to make out objects on the track a fair distance ahead of the train. Combined with the elevated cab compartment I feel much safer operating this equipment. Although the windshield doesn't seems to be as reinforced as I originally suspected. A while back there was one in service with a huge crack on the conductors side. The first layer of glass looked rather thin as well. Not terribly impressive for something that was suppose to be(fairly) bullet resistant and weighs so much it requires specialized equipment to replace. It'll be nice when something like Gorilla Glass finally become ubiquitous.

Express trains shouldn't be turning off their lights at stations they don't stop at unless they're approaching another train or adjacent to a roadway where vehicles might be affected by the intensity of the light. Otherwise they're required to be on full power at all times by rule.
IF you look at the video of 305 on track 2, it turn its ditch light off with no eastbound train in sight or after it past the station. Have seen this at Port Credit as well even with the old cars.

IF you look at the video of 305 on track 2, it turn its ditch light off with no eastbound train in sight or after it past the station. Have seen this at Port Credit as well even with the old cars.

It only looks like its dimmed because of how focused the LED headlight is. The light intensity of the old halogen headlights gradually fades off to the side but with the new LED's the light intensity suddenly drops off to almost nothing past a certain angle(in the video it's exactly at 0:36).

July 03
There is another a 2nd snow melter truck in the yard when I went past the yard a few weeks ago

When my GRT bus hit KW Univeristy stop, I figure I have less than a hour wait for the 25 home, but found 3 DD there and one (8174) was on the hock. A large crowd was waiting and the other 2 buses were out of service.

The bus behind 8174 finally turn on its sign and became a 25C. Once loaded, the bus crawl out to the street and to the next stop. As we were picking up riders, the other bus pass us as a 25. This was about 6pm.

We were almost 90% full leaving KW and the bus had issues trying to get up to speed for the whole trip as well climbing hills. First DD I have been on that had this type of issue.

Stadler just got a contract to supply 96 EMU trains to Caltrain and the best one out there at this time.

I should note the ones I have been on were lowfloor, requiring no step down like our current cars. They also have a slide out gap plate to comply with ODA requirement at all doors. This would remove the need for the current accessiblity platforms.
1920px-SBB_RABe_511_T%C3%B6ssm%C3%BChle.jpg

Contracts awarded for Caltrain electrification project

Last edited:
is it the kiss model or something that hasnt been sold yet? either way depending on regs, it could be a good precedent on what we can expect in the next few years

is it the kiss model or something that hasnt been sold yet? either way depending on regs, it could be a good precedent on what we can expect in the next few years
Its the Kiss model as far as I know and that what most systems are buying these days.

I think this will open the doors to change the regs to allow these cars here. They can run from 3-15 car sets and only take 5 minutes to MU sets to run as one set to about 2 minutes or less as 2 sets.

Caltrain apparently have an FRA waiver but only for operating with FRA passenger trains - must temporally segregate from freight. It also seems that these will operate to 50" platforms (for compatibility with high speed rail service over the route) so that means their Bombardier bilevels can't operate to those platforms.

Stadler KISS has been pictured in many Metrolinx artwork of electric GO trains over the last year.

These are generic clipart, but clearly inspired by the Stadler KISS that Caltrain just ordered.

(You say these also can be made to operate at both low floor and high platforms, apparently? If that is so -- then I wonder if these can be made compatible with a 4-coach UPX station too, drum118 -- as you said you were asked by a client to evaluate if UPX stations could be extended to 4 coach.... Merge UPX into RER... Bottom floor level boarding for airport travellers, top floor for commuters?)

image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,140
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 2,691
  • image.png
    image.png