News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 899     0 

Will Rob Ford Finish His Term? If Not, What Then?

Hang on - whether or not the man in question was a bike courier or not isn't an issue here. He was not working when he decided to drive drunk and attack Bryant. I don't see how this issue would have any bearing on the election.

I'm saying that I believe there is a constituency for whom the act of killing a bike courier is an asset rather than a liability. I am trying not to insert any opinion as to how or why Bryant killed Darcy Allan Sheppard or who was at fault (not that I don't have opinions on that subject; I just feel they're not germane to this discussion).

I'm hoping for Colle or Matlow to run for mayor in 2014, with Matlow being more likely to run. Despite Ford calling him 2 steps left of Joe Stalin, he's established himself as a centrist, different from Mihevc et al.

Ironically, I can even picture someone 2 steps left of Josh Matlow such as Kristin Wong-Tam beating Rob Ford (which says something about the buzz about her and her political modus operandi)

I don't think council is where the next mayor will come from. A weak field with a weak incumbent is the perfect point for a high profile non-councilor to jump into the race.

There are a lot of provincial and federal pols who could take a run at it and win handily. What is Gerard Kennedy up to these days? Sarah Thompson could have another go at it too. Also there could be some provincial Liberals available if they lose badly in an election before then.

Of course there are also a lot of business folk who could challenge Ford or even media personalities. If you have deep pockets, a mayoral run is an easy way to get noticed and get your feet wet in politics.

I could even see Miller running again, if he isn't tied up in some other job.

For a dark horse, what about Michael Bryant? No one can call him a bike riding commie-pinko.
As was made clear in the 2010 elections, no candidate has ever been elected for mayor from outside city council.

Way too high profile and perhaps slightly out of touch with the outer regions of Toronto. You really need someone from the Boroughs to be able to represent the entire city, and not just Bay street. He would do really well in the old city, but would lose out to Ford in the burbs.

Someone like Colle or Matlow, is what the city will need. (Mary-Margaret McMahon would be also a great candidate)
Why does it have to be from the boroughs? We already have that in Ford and we had that in Lastman. Look at how they represented us on the world stage as compared to Miller (whatever you think of his politics)

Way too high profile and perhaps slightly out of touch with the outer regions of Toronto. You really need someone from the Boroughs to be able to represent the entire city, and not just Bay street. He would do really well in the old city, but would lose out to Ford in the burbs.

Someone like Colle or Matlow, is what the city will need. (Mary-Margaret McMahon would be also a great candidate)
whenever you hear councilors speak, the one who sounds trustworthy is Kristyn Wong-Tam. You never heard from Colle and Matlow just wants to be in the news all the time especially with that talk show of his

Hang on - whether or not the man in question was a bike courier or not isn't an issue here. He was not working when he decided to drive drunk and attack Bryant. I don't see how this issue would have any bearing on the election.
What does that mean that he was not working? Are you talking about the courier or Bryant. Your post is not clear

What does that mean that he was not working? Are you talking about the courier or Bryant. Your post is not clear
It's 100% clear. I said "He was not working when he decided to drive drunk and attack Bryant. ". Clearly Bryant didn't attack Bryant, so "he was not working" refers to the courier. For it to have referred to Bryant would have been grammatically incorrect.

However, for those who prefer to speak like Data, I could have instead said "The drunk cyclist was not working when the drunk cyclist decided to drive drunk and attack Bryant".

It's 100% clear. I said "He was not working when he decided to drive drunk and attack Bryant. ". Clearly Bryant didn't attack Bryant, so "he was not working" refers to the courier. For it to have referred to Bryant would have been grammatically incorrect.

However, for those who prefer to speak like Data, I could have instead said "The drunk cyclist was not working when the drunk cyclist decided to drive drunk and attack Bryant".
No it was not clear because you said drive. People drive cars and ride bikes. Thats why it was not clear. I knew the courier was riding his bike and when you say drive there is confusion.

Not sure why that matters. We're talking about "dog whistle" politics. I'm not suggesting there's anything redeeming in it; just that it exists.

wow, why couldnt these other people read the facetious/sarcastic tone in your original post post? I found it a rather entertaining, though unfortunate observation! Even though Bryant is an elite downtowner he could still hold sway with Don Cherry "pinko commie" bike hating types. That is some kick ass comedy!

Back