News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 914     1 

Will Rob Ford Finish His Term? If Not, What Then?

Hate to say it, but I can't help thinking of how mayors like Coleman Young and Marion Barry maintained power by massaging reassuringly simplistic homie-vs-whitey sentiment while their cities went to pot. (And it's telling that Ford's reach was particularly marked in ethnoburbia--with Christian Lander-style "whitey" as the enemy.)

Some of us who walk the offices of City Hall had already heard increasingly loud whispers and Doug himself has huffed it out in moments of frustration but now it's becoming very real: Doug Ford is likely heading for a run at Queens Park. (warning/apology: sorry for sending you to The Sun)

Depending on when the election comes around, City Hall will be bidding Doug Ford goodbye. It's likely that an election will be triggered somewhere between a year to 2 years so Doug Ford won't be finishing his term as councillor.

This is why the Province is waiting to hear about the fate of Sheppard. Sheppard was going to be built first. If it's not going to be LRT and the advisory committee decides to reserve the money and start planning for a subway extension, then Finch construction will get bumped up.
The money for Sheppard has already been rolled into the centre section of Eglinton. And likely much of it simply moved from the 2010-2015 spending to the 2015-2016 spending. Ontario is desperate to postpone spending in the next 5 years due to the change in economic conditions. I fully expect that even if the decision at the March 21 council meeting is to proceed with Sheppard as originally envisions, that the money just isn't going to be there to complete in the same time frame (which would be about 3 years based on the original schedule).

Depending on when the election comes around, City Hall will be bidding Doug Ford goodbye. It's likely that an election will be triggered somewhere between a year to 2 years so Doug Ford won't be finishing his term as councillor.
Just what the right needs. First they've been saddled with Hudak ... and now Doug Ford? Plays well to the base, but the base already are voting for them. Doesn't play well for making inroads into 905 and 416.

With the Liberals holding the strongest minority government possible, I doubt we'll be seeing the next provincial election until fall 2015, long after the next city election in fall 2014.

Last edited:
Has any mayor of Toronto or any provincial capital left office before the next election? Unless Ford dies in office like mayor McBride http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_McBride he'll be with us to the end. Not that I wish Ford any harm, he's got a family and he's not the first person who's taken on a job that he wasn't suited for.

Has any mayor of Toronto or any provincial capital left office before the next election?

David Crombie did in 1978, in order to run in a federal byelection--if that counts. (Fred Beavis served as acting mayor for however many months before John Sewell was elected.)

And when it comes to provincial capitals, I suppose Glen Murray similarly counts in 2004.

Back