News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 510     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Who's going to be the next Liberal leader?

Who's going to be the next Liberal leader?

• Michael Ignatieff

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Gerard Kennedy

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • John Manley

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Frank McKenna

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Bob Rae

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Justin Trudeau

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Yea, you never know. But one thing I think can happen if the coalition goes ahead as planned, it'll have time to prove that coalition government can work. After a few years of a successful coalition Canadians' minds will have been transformed from one that believed coalition was impossible to a positive experience.

It would be great for Canadian parliamentary democracy to demonstrate the nation can work together without a majority government. I don't think the Liberals and NDP should merge into one party, but a unified right shouldn't be given rule when they don't represent the election results.

While I agree that coalition rule would be somewhat beneficial to maturing our democracy, (in that our parties lack any sense of how to work together), I am deeply concerned of the effects of this particular coalition. This coalition would legitimize the BQ and would strengthen the NDP at the Liberals expense. All in all, I see this as a net loss for the Liberals.

The Bloc are already legitimate. The longest sitting MP in the House of Commons is a Bloc MP. That honour, known as the Dean of the House, made him Chair during the Speaker election.

This forum and politics is overrun by super annoying right wing neo-cons.

I think it's more a matter of you being ultra-left. I consider myself centre-left, and you are way, way, way to the left of me. I can't fathom why you support the Liberals, besides the fact the win and the NDP don't.

I think it's more a matter of you being ultra-left. I consider myself centre-left, and you are way, way, way to the left of me. I can't fathom why you support the Liberals, besides the fact the win and the NDP don't.

I sometimes have voted liberal when I feel the best candidate in my riding, federal or provincial happens to be liberal. But I don't blindly support the liberals or any other party. For example, my current city councillor is NDP ( I know it's not supposed to be party-oriented, but it kind of is, unofficially anyway) and I won't be voting for him next municipal cause I've been in meetings with him and I think he's a knob.

The Bloc are already legitimate. The longest sitting MP in the House of Commons is a Bloc MP. That honour, known as the Dean of the House, made him Chair during the Speaker election.

I am fairly sure you understood my insinuation about legitimizing the Bloc in la belle province. I was not talking about legal legitimacy.

Federalists of every stripe have used the argument that the BQ can't deliver because they aren't inside government. Having them act as king maker is the next best thing. This coalition by its mere formation has lent significant political legitimacy to the BQ. You can bet that their seat count will be going up in the next election.

I doubt that. Or, for the reasons you suggest. Harper has pissed off enough soft nationalists that he may lose some votes (not to mention the implosion of his ideological twin in the province, Dumont and his ADQ). The Liberals are just as likely to pick up those votes as the Bloc.

And remember: Quebeccers have thus far been relatively warm to Iggy--as a "public intellectual", he connects on more of a suave Duceppe level than a geeky Dion level...

You could always campaign American style.. Love government services, beg for more government services.. But claim to be anti-government. It seems to work here.

We even have a local state representative in Pittsburgh that campaigned on increasing government services while reducing government.

http://www.electdomcosta.com/aboutme.htm
I believe in a reduction of government size but increases of services to residents

That quote straight from his campaign web site, the guy won his first seat ever in November 2008 and now enjoys being a PA state rep. ;)

Ah. Americans hate their government so much they want it to do absolutely everything and absolutely expect it to when something slightly goes wrong. Such bitter, bitter irony.

Just don't claim to be intellectual in our elections, its a sure way to not be elected. ;)

Last edited:

"Legitimacy" for a federal party does not emanate from having the longest sitting member in parliament, it emanates from having national policies for the entire country. The Bloc has not interest in Canada and does not run candidates nationally - in fact it refuses to do so. It is not legitimate as a national party. It is a regionalist party, and that's all.

This thread is hilarious. Proves once again that Canada is way off the mark towards universal suffrage where the choices are still extended only to white males of wealth or those white males with wealthy friends. All of the stated choices appeared to be flawed and lack the charisma required. I fear the political stage in Canada is offering up tiny talent time compared to the American Broadway production being offered up at the moment. Iggy as flawed as he is will be the leader, he has the support of the Rae camp and all the others except Trudeau are either too flawed or not willing to step into the role of leader. It's actually hilarious that Manley would even be suggested considering his previous snub by the liberal party members.

This thread is hilarious. Proves once again that Canada is way off the mark towards universal suffrage where the choices are still extended only to white males of wealth or those white males with wealthy friends.
Did I miss something?

LoL, well, he was "chosen" after Rae dropped out, an no one else wanted a convention to fast track kicking Stephane out.

Back