News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 568     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Who's going to be the next Liberal leader?

Who's going to be the next Liberal leader?

• Michael Ignatieff

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Gerard Kennedy

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • John Manley

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Frank McKenna

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Bob Rae

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Justin Trudeau

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
I believe that if Frank McKenna enters the race - he will be the odds on favourite to take the title.

As I said before - centrist, fluently bilingual, leadership experience (premier of New Brunswick), financial experience (deputy chair of td), international experience (Ambassador to the United States).

I've heard McKenna and Manley's name being passed around yesterday...a collegue remarked that the Liberals never gets elected when they move to the left.

AoD

how about ken dryden? i'm sure he'd get some votes in quebec. ;)

The problem for the Liberals wont be which leader they pick, Rae, Iggy, McKenna would all work great against the inhuman blob Harper. The problem will be picking him in such a way as to not rend the party between its camps. If they go into some year long session of arguing and bickering back and forth between the candidates it will be a Pyrrhic victory. Especially if they end up with two front runners in a polling dead heat that clears the way for the 3rd choice. That would be a tragedy.

In my opinion, they should pick a new leader sooner than later. In addition, they should rebuild their focus on what the party actually stands for so as to differentiate it from both the Conservatives and the NDP.

I would also agree that the Liberals must avoid a year of bickering. Right now, plenty of journalists are watching to see the Rae/Ignatieff feud reignite, which will only steal attention away from the party trying to focus (if it can).

Low voter turn out probably hurt the Liberals more than the other parties. This could mean voters who would otherwise support the party took a holiday because they found the present party leadership and platform unpalatable, but could not bring themselves to vote for the other parties. With only a 59% turnout, there are plenty of people who can be convinced to vote.

I've heard McKenna and Manley's name being passed around yesterday...a collegue remarked that the Liberals never gets elected when they move to the left.

That's funny, because when they went for Turner (representing the right wing of the Liberals) after the lefty Trudeau, they lost. Believe it or not, Mulroney ran to the left of Turner.

When they went from centrist Chretien to a more right-wing Martin, they lost as well.

Still, since the 1930s, there has never been a majority government elected that has campaigned to the right of the government previously in power.

Again, what makes Manley attractive, apart from Bay Street types? He's not charismatic, he's not that inspiring, he's wonkish, and then worked for Harper last time with that Afghanistan report (which leads me to conclude he's got some similarities to Joe Liberman). That said, he's clean and honest. He makes a great cabinet minister, not a party leader. Put most of that together, and he'd be a rightist version of Stephane Dion.

Bob Rae and Michael Ignateiff need to steer clear of the convention and let someone else bring a fresh face to the Liberals. They continue a divided Liberal party, with one faction pitted against another. Its the same old, same old. It was Martin vs Chretien for long enough, we don't need a Rae vs Ignatieff extension of that.

If people aren't happy with Gerard Kennedy, okay. Try someone else like Brison if you want a more right leaning Liberal, but come on... Rae is a divisive figure in Ontario as he wasn't well admired during his NDP administration, and Ontario is the base. Ignatieff has been outside of Canada as long as anyone, and he had some pro-Iraq statements that can easily be used against him.

Gerard Kennedy is fresh, has personality, has a good grasp on policy.

Scott Brison is a fresh voice that would help the Liberals retain Atlantic Canada and rural Canada.

Someone needs to start an anyone but Rae or Ignatieff movement, because they will divide the Liberals into an even bigger loss.

All the faces there are sufficiently new (on the federal stage). There is only one person on that list that was there during the sponsorship scandal....

Strategically I think Rae, Ignateiff and Kennedy are all weak candidates. Canadians will be looking for a senior experienced and moderate leader from outside Ontario. The backdrop of the next election will be who do we want to steer us out of the economic pit we will be in.

Strategically I think Rae, Ignateiff and Kennedy are all weak candidates. Canadians will be looking for a senior experienced and moderate leader from outside Ontario. The backdrop of the next election will be who do we want to steer us out of the economic pit we will be in.

That sounds suspiciously like you are supporting McKenna :eek:

Back