News   Apr 26, 2024
 193     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 375     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 540     0 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

I thought this was a healthy debate, since they have to deal with the social conservatives within their base. This debate and the vote affirming gay marriage was a good move. Get it out in the open, vote on it, then finish it as a wedge issue.
roughly 70% approval/support for marital equality....while I personally don't understand why it is not 100%, it is worth noting that this is approximately the same level of support that forum research found nationwide on this matter about a year ago.....so, on this matter at least, the cpc is no more or less conservative than the country as a whole.

If you want a laugh, go look at the CPC Facebook page. The SoCons are furious and saying they won't vote for the party again.

What are they going to do. Vote for the Christian Heritage Party?

Ooh boy - there are some CHP candidates who might get 0.6% of the votes in their riding now, instead of 0.4%.

ETA: Wow. Just read some of those Facebook comments Videodrome referrred to. Some really delusional people who seem to think that a repeal of same-sex marriage, the vote for women, and evolution was just around the corner, but for what happened in Vancouver this past weekend. Scary folks.

The CHP got 15,232 votes last time and only ran 30 candidates. As you said, none got more than a few hundred votes.

If you want a laugh, go look at the CPC Facebook page. The SoCons are furious and saying they won't vote for the party again.
And that's precisely the CPC intention. Ignore and disregard them, force them out. Those that stay will vote Conservative anyway, so no need to pursue their vote.

The House and Senate have ended their session and will be back in the fall. Stephen Harper will never sit in the House again, as he is resigning before the fall session.

Meanwhile, the behind-the-sceners are busy taking down notes about the Turkey "coup". Writing down what went wrong and what went right.
How would a coup even work in Canada? Our system of federalism kind of makes the notion of a coup pointless with so much power being vested into the provincial hands.

How would a coup even work in Canada? Our system of federalism kind of makes the notion of a coup pointless with so much power being vested into the provincial hands.

I'm assuming if the coup-plotters are willing to disregard Constitutional niceties in order to seize power in Ottawa that they would also be willing to step on provincial jurisdiction and ignore the Constitutional division of powers.

But I agree that it would be hard to make a coup work in Canada. The size of the country alone makes it hard to secure. Our military, if it was so inclined to seize power, is simply too small.

The closest we got to a coup was the asinine Tory claims of a "coup" when the CPC had a minority government and was facing a no-confidence vote by the coalition of opposition parties.

Last edited:
I'm assuming if the coup-plotters are willing to disregard Constitutional niceties in order to seize power in Ottawa that they would also be willing to step on provincial jurisdiction and ignore the Constitutional division of powers.

But I agree that it would be hard to make a coup work in Canada. The size of the country alone makes it hard to secure. Our military, if it was so inclined to seize power, is simply too small.

The closest we got to a coup was the asinine Tory claims of a "coup" when the CPC had a minority government and were facing a no-confidence vote by the coalition of opposition parties.

It's wild to apply the situation in Turkey to Canada - the former having a long history of military coups and the military being the "guardian" of ideals of the state per Ataturk. No such condition exist in Canada - and our military doesn't really operate on such a self-appointed role either.

AoD

Back