News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

VIA Rail

Couple of things:
First, any additional service to Boston via Albany, no matter where from, is likely to require crossing CSX' palm with silver. My read of US boards is that a NYC-BOS service via Springfield and Hartford is more likely in the short term. There is an issue about a freight yard that CSX is hoping public money will solve before it eases up on how many east-west services it will permit.
Second, who's paying? Cascades, Adirondack, Maple Leaf and possibly soon Vermonter services are a significant benefit to Canada at minimal expense to us.

Yeah, I've been thinking about how Canada might support such services. I'm wondering if it would be enough to get VIA to pay all of Amtrak's track fees while within Canada (a lot of which go to Metrolinx), while letting Amtrak keep all the fare revenue. Maybe waiving that cost would be enough to have the Canadian segments break even for them, but I have no idea how much of an impact track fees actually have on total operating costs.

I know about the work currently underway from New Haven to Springfield, but I hadn't heard anything about Springfield-Boston. They'd need some pretty spectacular upgrades to get travel times anywhere near the NEC route. It might make a decent route for HSR though, given that the inland route is less built up than the NEC. In any case, Toronto-Boston is very low on the priority list so it's probably not worth jumping through too many hoops for.

An extension of current Empire trains at the Toronto end might happen, but again that exposes Amtrak to additional operating cost and border impacts on scheduling.

I don't see Amtrak extending any other trains into Canada unless we build pre-clearance facilities, because of the aforementioned border delays which affect not only scheduling and operating cost, but also ridership and potential revenue.

Quebec commercial groups backing high-frequency train
Life in Quebec - August 28th, 2016 - http://www.lifeinquebec.com/quebec-commercial-groups-backing-high-frequency-train-20877/

Via Rail’s high-frequency rail project (TGF) is so “promising” that a dozen chambers of commerce in cities located along the Montreal-Quebec corridor, including those of both cities, are asking elected officials for their support.

“Let us join the future by giving us an infrastructure worthy of the 21st century,” write their leaders in an open letter. “And do it quickly.”

This train project aims to expand and facilitate travel between major Canadian cities on the Quebec-Windsor axe, in particular, the Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto route.

The amount of daily passenger trains could triple in the Montreal-Quebec corridor, and travel time shall decreases significantly.

There are many benefits of this project, say the many CEOs of the Chambers of Commerce: reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, less traffic congestion, productivity gains – both for passengers and for freight transport, etc.

The airports in Montreal and Quebec would be better used. The same can also be said for educational institutions.

Specifically, regarding the economic Montreal-Quebec corridor, where the cities of the signatories are located, “Many benefits can be found if the connection of communities is more efficient, both on the north shore and on the south shore.”

The Chambers of commerce therefore request the support of all municipal, provincial and federal governments. “The entire province would benefit from faster, more reliable, green and more frequent intercity transportation, between the city and the national capital,” write the signatories.

One good way to increase capacity at Pearson is VIAs HFR proposal. If we can reduce the domestic flights from YYZ to YUL and YOW in half offset by the increase in VIA frequency the. That would add signinificant capacity. Right now there are 20 flights to Montreal daily and a similar return and a similar amount to Ottawa. Remove the small commuter connections to London and Kingston and now the domestic side can focus on longer journeys to Quebec City and beyond or Northern Ontario and west.

One good way to increase capacity at Pearson is VIAs HFR proposal. If we can reduce the domestic flights from YYZ to YUL and YOW in half offset by the increase in VIA frequency the. That would add signinificant capacity. Right now there are 20 flights to Montreal daily and a similar return and a similar amount to Ottawa. Remove the small commuter connections to London and Kingston and now the domestic side can focus on longer journeys to Quebec City and beyond or Northern Ontario and west.
UPX was (in the eyes of some) supposed to remove the need for YTZ and look how that worked out. While you might see some downsizing of aircraft size at certain times of day, the lack of an integrated medium/long distance rail terminal at YYZ will not get the same results as something like the operation at CDG does.

If i can recall, didnt via have an industry day where the competing manufacturers showcased their latest and greatest?
Does anyone know the outcome of that?

Another day, another VIA HFR article. This time even more evidence of a Peterborough route!!

VIA Rail link between Perth, Smiths Falls could become reality by 2019

Inside Ottawa Valley - August 30th, 2016 - http://www.insideottawavalley.com/n...th-smiths-falls-could-become-reality-by-2019/

"A new, electric VIA Rail corridor starting in Peterborough could connect Perth and Smiths Falls.

Perth Mayor John Fenik revealed at the very end of the Tuesday, Aug. 30 council meeting that he had been in talks that very morning with Lt. Cmdr. (retired) Jacques Fauteux, director of government and community relations with the office of Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, the president and CEO of VIA Rail Canada, that very morning.

“It’s not at the federal level yet for approval,” said Fenik during the media questions section of the agenda. “They want to establish a link.”

VIA Rail Canada, according to Fenik, has been canvassing politicians all along the proposed corridor, and Fenik himself intends to establish a mayor’s coalition to make this proposal happen. He promised to meet with Smiths Falls Mayor Shawn Pankow on Wednesday, Aug. 31.... Read More"

^If I'm not mistaken that's the first time the actual route has been explicitly mentioned in a news article. Good find.
Mister F stole my line. It *is* a good find. Still can't take it as a fait accompli, but this is certainly a solid brick in a campaign wall to make it so.

The linked article had an odd comment: "The issue of train whistles has long been a gnawing issue amongst Perth residents, and Fenik admitted that while the issue was not at the top of the agenda, it was discussed, and he discovered that VIA Rail trains may be exempt from the whistle rule." Oh boy, that's very misleading. The bell will have to be rung though. You get used to it, I have no sympathy for those that complain, like at the Bloor Station, with incredible road traffic going all night (I live above it). I *like* hearing the UPX bells ringing! It softens the rest of the horrific rattle from the road.

Excellent heads-up, Alex. Where there's smoke, there's fire. And this is still on the burner. Could there be a tie-in with the Missing Link in the wind? And the Summerhill Station being involved too? All parts of the jig-saw puzzle...

UPX was (in the eyes of some) supposed to remove the need for YTZ and look how that worked out. While you might see some downsizing of aircraft size at certain times of day, the lack of an integrated medium/long distance rail terminal at YYZ will not get the same results as something like the operation at CDG does.

I don't recall that UPX was designed to put YTZ out of commission. It was meant to allow quick access to YYZ from downtown. YyZ serves a huge variety of destinations compared to YTZ. YTZ does help with domestic travel. Is is where VIa should increase its market share with more frequency and speed.

YyZ is not full though, they have room to keep growing with another 2 piers.

If i can recall, didnt via have an industry day where the competing manufacturers showcased their latest and greatest?
Does anyone know the outcome of that?
They did, and there was no press on it that I found. The intrigue was as to whom might make a presentation, since *apparently* even a few months ago, only Talgo could field a model to satisfy the stated criteria. In the last two months even, a couple of other companies have appeared to be able to satisfy the specs, but I've only seen mention of them in the US press. (IIRC, re the CalTrains bidding)

Here's the announcement:
http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/About_VIA/INTERCITY_PASSENGER_RAIL.pdf

according to whom?
According to what various posters, myself included, after closely analyzing the incredibly restrictive terms stated by VIA, concluded a month or so ago in this very string. Until TC changes the rules to allow the newer FRA regs, pickings are more than slim.

I might post the list of requirements stated by VIA later if I have the time. Since you so abruptly challenge me, by all means post it again yourself, and please, post examples of *extant* "complete trainsets" (as stated in the RFP) that could compete. IIRC, you yourself discussed what combos might be thrown together from different companies working in conjunction. But even that is problematic by the terms stated, as they have not been proven in practice.

Over to you...

A reminder:
...A discussion of whether FRA/TC regs are fit for purpose is a matter for another thread. Irrespective, VIA have not sought interest from vendors on the basis of future regulations, but on the basis of present ones.

dowlingm, Jul 6, 2016

Wishing for TC to change the regs seems to me to just invite all kinds of "hey can we have my favourite trainset in VIA colours". VIA themselves in the PDF state:
Trainsets must meet current Transport Canada, Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA), American Public Transportation Association (APTA), Federal Railway Administration (FRA), and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards, notably for people with disabilities and safety requirements.
So back to you...you aspire to have answers if you challenge my statement. So post them...

Further edit to add:
dowlingm, Jul 4, 2016

((Flexibility to Operate:
  • The intent is to specify trainsets for bi-directional operation (Push-Pull).
  • VIA Rail intends to contract with one supplier. Bidders who only offer motive power or seated vehicles must partner to offer a complete trainset solution.
Performance:
  • Trainsets must be able to operate at speeds of up to 100 mph or 161 km/h on shared Class 5 non-electrified infrastructure, non-grade separated, using diesel power.
  • Trainsets must also be able to operate at a maximum of 125 mph or 201 km/h on new dedicated Class 7 infrastructure, non-grade separated, using in diesel mode and electric mode where electrified.
  • Transition between modes of power must be seamless with minimum impact on the passenger experience.
Delivery:
  • The trainsets must be proven in service or made up of proven elements, and either be in production or quickly be ready for production in order to minimize lead time.
Fleet Size Final:
  • quantities remain to be confirmed; however the intent is to replace the current fleet of 40 locomotives and 160 cars with bi-directional trainsets providing equivalent seat capacity currently totalling 2200 Business seats and 7800 Economy seats. An option for additional trainsets could be required, depending on the timing of other initiatives planned by VIA Rail.))
  • Dowling replies:
  • The only one of these that Siemens does not currently offer is dual mode, assuming Brightline rolls out without major issues.
  • Bombardier might manage it with an ALP45 variant with a bigger fuel tank and weight savings from not needing a 25Hz transformer core, but don't have a recent unpowered coach order.
  • CAF and EMD could go in together but EMD don't have an electric offering, and aside from design licencing CAF haven't built a Viewliner passenger car and have been having enough issues making the ones they are building
  • There are other manufacturers who could offer Euro cars but that assumes Transport Canada will change the rules within VIA's time horizon - doesn't seem likely based on the seeming urgency.
  • You can't even agree with yourself, Mr Dowling, and yet challenge others on their observations, even when they state "apparently".
So what was presented at the 'show and tell'...since I've searched a number of times, and found nothing.

Not quoted above but a further complication of the request:
· Delivery The trainsets must be proven in service or made up of proven elements, and either be in production or quickly be ready for production in order to minimize lead time.
http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/About_VIA/INTERCITY_PASSENGER_RAIL.pdf

Last edited:
I wonder where VIA is bringing the RDC's? I thought they were already at home in southwestern ontario
Does not bode well for their previously intended home...no wonder VIA wouldn't answer when asked on how that's coming along? (CN have refused to make the previously agreed pathing slots available) Probably headed to Mimico for now, but it is a very good qood question...good heads-up Rob.

So many RDC's at the Mimco Yard. A shame. Are they unsalvageable?

14587430970_1d02e6c0f7_k.jpg

Back