News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 416     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

VIA Rail

Wishing for TC to change the regs seems to me to just invite all kinds of "hey can we have my favourite trainset in VIA colours". VIA themselves in the PDF state:

Can't say I can think of a situation where an EMU interoperates with a diesel locomotive. The differing dynamics of EMU vs locohaul would make mode switching interesting I would think, even if the differing coupling/controls which tend to come up in EMU contexts were overcome.

Hmm. Could you power an EMU via a diesel power plant (so locomotive powerplant but very minimal local drive wheels)? I'm not sure it makes any sense versus an electric locomotive, VIA trains don't stop very frequently, but it would be interesting.

Hmm. Could you power an EMU via a diesel power plant (so locomotive powerplant but very minimal local drive wheels)? I'm not sure it makes any sense versus an electric locomotive, VIA trains don't stop very frequently, but it would be interesting.
I tried to post pictures of this one page back, but failed. These would actually be excellent for the Weston Corridor in lieu of ordering more of the problematic Sharyos, if TC allows operation as with the O-Train (freight temporal separation) Here's from Wikipedia:
[...]
Description

Schematic of the GTW 2/6
Stadler GTW is family of vehicles which differ externally, in the various designs of the head of the vehicle (from angular to streamlined), and also in the different designs and power units that drive them. They also come in different gauges and as rack railway vehicles. The basic version is the GTW 2/6, a railcar which conforms to UIC standards. "2/6" means "two of six axles are powered". The GTW 2/6 is used for example by Deutsche Bahn as Baureihe 646 (Series 646) and by Swiss railways as RABe 526.

The path through the drive container of a GTW 2/8 from Connexxion (Netherlands)
The basic concept is rather unconventional: the car is driven by a central "power module", also known as a "powerpack" or a "drive container", powered on both axles. Two light end modules, each with a bogie, rest on the power module, which produces useful traction weight on the driving axles. The end modules also use the space very effectively, although the railcar is divided into two halves by the power module. Most units have a path through the drive container for passenger access. The end modules can be delivered with standard pulling devices or buffer gears, or with central buffer couplings. They are built with a low-floor design except above the bogies and at the supported ends (more than 65% of the railcar is low-floor). All of the usual comforts to be expected in a modern local network railcar are provided, such as air conditioning, a multi-purpose room, vacuum toilets (in a washroom suitable for the disabled) and a passenger information system. The GTWs can be Diesel-electric or electric-powered (via overhead wires or third rail).

Although the traction is good for the powered bogies the concept has the same problem as other light railcars with the brakes on the non-powered axles having lower grip than traditional railcars. This has led to actual restrictions when leafs are on the rails as the wheel slide protection can not fully compensate the effect. The central power module has limits with heat dissipation as well which can lead into situations where the power output needs to be limited which is automatically done in this conctruction concept.[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadler_GTW

Here's for their 100mph model:
http://www.jlt.se/globalassets/doku...nkesmedja/stadler-rail-jkpg-160404_public.pdf

If VIA does acquire some electric-capable trainsets, it might open up the possibility of improved service to the northeast of Montréal through the electric-only Mont Royal tunnel. Currently the Montréal-Jonquière and Montréal-Senneterre VIA trains take 38 minutes to travel non-stop from Gare Centrale to Ahuntsic, making a huge detour around the city and crawling through CN's freight yard (dark blue line in image below). Meanwhile, AMT schedules 15 minutes for the same segment, running through the tunnel and making two intermediate stops (light blue line). I've heard that AMT switches from electric to diesel mode in Mont Royal station, but the electrification actually continues as far as Ahuntsic.
Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 22.49.36.png

So dual-mode locomotives would single-handedly save 25 minutes per trip, which might be enough to attract more ridership, especially from relatively nearby cities such as Shawinigan, Joliette and Repentigny. Currently the two train services run coupled together every other day, departing Montréal in the morning on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and returning to Montréal in the afternoon on Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday. Perhaps they could instead run individually, to provide daily service between Montréal and Shawinigan. That would additionally save the time spent reorganizing trains at Hervey Jonction. A second trainset could provide a more commuter-style service in the opposite direction, heading from Shawinigan to Montréal in the morning and returning outbound in the evening. Two trains per day isn't much, but with trains in both directions during peak periods, it might be somewhat useful, unlike the current service.

Prior to the 1994 upgrade of the Deux Montagnes line to 25kv AC, VIA trains did run through the tunnel, pulled by old CN electric locomotives (see picture here).

The new AMT railway along the A-640 which connects the CN line to the CP line also opens up the possibility of service from Montréal to Québec City via Trois Rivières, which is located on the (former) CP line and currently lacks passenger rail service. The CP line is now operated by the Genessee & Wyoming shortline Chemin de Fer Québec-Gatineau, and if it's anything like the other shortline railways I know, then the line is chronically underutilized. Then again, if its anything like the other shortlines, it would also require extensive upgrades for any competitive passenger service to be possible. But at least it means that VIA could easily buy the line, unlike the CN mainline it currently uses for Montréal-Québec service.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 22.49.36.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 22.49.36.png
    436.3 KB · Views: 757
Last edited:
Don't think most EMUs have any capability to transfer power like that. In any event, there is no ready to go FRA EMU which could be so adapted. VIA have declared an intention for something with minimal adaptation.

I tried to post pictures of this one page back, but failed. These would actually be excellent for the Weston Corridor in lieu of ordering more of the problematic Sharyos,
Apart from the fact that I disagree that temporal segregation on the O-Train is anything akin to conditions on USRC, VIA Rail doesn't operate UPX.

If VIA does acquire some electric-capable trainsets, it might open up the possibility of improved service to the northeast of Montréal through the electric-only Mont Royal tunnel.
AMT had quite the time getting the fire authorities to allow ALP45DP through the tunnel. A diesel-electric consist of any sort would likely have a more substantial fuel load than the ALP's meagre tank, no? You could have an electric unit tow the consist to Ahuntsic, but then you lose much of the time you gained in doing brake tests after disconnecting it.

Don't think most EMUs have any capability to transfer power like that. In any event, there is no ready to go FRA EMU which could be so adapted. VIA have declared an intention for something with minimal adaptation.

Britain explored inserting one or more EMU coaches in the middle of a Class 220 DMU, to give it dual-mode capability. The option was discarded as the economics didn't work out. Class 220's don't meet TC standards, but the theory might be adaptable to some other model of vehicle, and VIA might see different economics.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I gather the power delivery from a diesel-generator set is apparently quite different from the power delivered from overhead catenary, so it's not as simple as having electrical traction motors and just throwing a switch to select the power supply.

Of course, FL9 diesels worked as dual-power locos in the Northeast Corridor for close to half a century. I wonder what EMD knew that no one else has mastered.

- Paul

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I gather the power delivery from a diesel-generator set is apparently quite different from the power delivered from overhead catenary, so it's not as simple as having electrical traction motors and just throwing a switch to select the power supply.

Most large-scale diesel generators have an adjustable output voltage (usually 3000 volt about 18000 volt) but adding a transformer to match the overhead feed would not be trivial due to currents involved but should be very straight forward (I was an electrical engineer, mostly small scale circuitry stuff, and I've been writing software for the last 15 years so I've forgotten more than a little).

The double-engine design sounds best so far (one diesel, one electrical), but it would be fun to be on the design team for this project to price out EMU + power plant.

That snippet of information released doesn't really say much about individual cars being interoperable with standard railway equipment. Build it with Jacobs bogies as fixed trainsets then put a standard coupler on the front/back of the train for towing. Nearly any kind of inter-car connections (electrical, etc.) are possible if you don't need individual cars to be useful independent of the train.

Last edited:
Britain explored inserting one or more EMU coaches in the middle of a Class 220 DMU, to give it dual-mode capability. The option was discarded as the economics didn't work out. Class 220's don't meet TC standards, but the theory might be adaptable to some other model of vehicle, and VIA might see different economics.

The main issue with upgrading the Voyagers was that there are simply no transformers that were powerful enough and that could also be slung under the floors of only 2 cars and still provide enough power to power the whole train.

That's why on the new class 800s and 802s that they are designing from the ground-up for bi-mode service they've split the transformers for overhead current and the underfloor diesels pretty evenly throughout the train.

The main issue is one of voltages. 25kV AC from the overhead (with fairly large range of actually voltages), versus the fairly clean and even ~2400V AC from the alternator attached to each engine. The transformers and equipment that you need for each are quite different.

Of course, FL9 diesels worked as dual-power locos in the Northeast Corridor for close to half a century. I wonder what EMD knew that no one else has mastered.

- Paul

But the FL9 wasn't really designed to be a full-time dual-mode loco. And even though New Haven tried to use it as such, they found out really, really quickly that they couldn't. Even the P32AC-DM has all sorts of compromises in order to fit within the various weight and loading gauge restrictions.

The ALP-45DM is as close as we're ever going to get in North America.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

AMT had quite the time getting the fire authorities to allow ALP45DP through the tunnel. A diesel-electric consist of any sort would likely have a more substantial fuel load than the ALP's meagre tank, no? You could have an electric unit tow the consist to Ahuntsic, but then you lose much of the time you gained in doing brake tests after disconnecting it.

I do remember the hassle to get the ALP45s approved, but they did get approval in the end. I figured that if VIA got Dual-Mode locomotives, they would be able to get approval too. If the solution ends up being a fully-electric locomotive, it may not be worth the trouble. Though VIA seems pretty quick to split trains, it only seems to take a couple minutes in Brockville.

The AMT ALP45DPs have a fuel capacity of 6813 l. I can't find the stats for the F40PH-3Ds that VIA currently uses on the route, but the P42DCs have a fuel capacity of 8300 l. I don't know if these routes are long enough that the difference would matter. Worst case scenario is that they need to add a fuel truck at a station that currently doesn't have one.

Apart from the fact that I disagree that temporal segregation on the O-Train is anything akin to conditions on USRC, VIA Rail doesn't operate UPX.
Here is what I wrote:
[These would actually be excellent for the Weston Corridor in lieu of ordering more of the problematic Sharyos, if TC allows operation as with the O-Train (freight temporal separation)] I stand by that claim, and obviously, since I presume you've been reading my posts, UPX isn't owned or operated by VIA. I never stated otherwise. The Sharyos are problematic just on price alone, let alone inflexible future operation on that line. There's also no-one doing follow-on orders for them, or likely to be doing so. So it's time for Metrolinx to look at what will fit with their future electrification plans on the Weston Corridor, and order and operate stock in such a way (which might require blockaded track in lieu of relaxation of present TC regs) as to allow a much more economical and *prolific* way to utilize that corrridor, and be completely forward compatible.

If you have a solution that satisfies that without a change in regs, and is *affordable*, then by all means, share it. The status quo is not acceptable.

Indeed, they did, and other nations have not only tested it, they sell them! Three last time I checked. Of course none meeting FRA regs. But as some posters alluded, it's the *concept* that is the value in this discussion.

I am a technologist, involved in transformer design, specifically toroidal, and to cut a long discussion short, there's a whole other aspect not mentioned, and that's *phase*. Pantograph pickup by it's very nature *almost* precludes multi-phase (I am aware of one exception, but it was, not surprisingly, problematic), and what you need to drive modern AC motors is multi-phase, three being the minimum and by far, the most popular. And the bogies used on electric locos and diesel electric can be identical, which lends themselves exquisitely to triple phase power xmssn through connecting cables via the coaches from one end to the other to distribute the tractive effort. This is done with 25kV AC along trainsets from the pantograph(s) to the transformer(s) often in other coaches. Other than the nature of the induced losses, lower voltage triple is vastly safer and able to neutralize most of it's induced field by being 'balanced'. And somewhat redundant, as in a failed leg of the three, as long as the vehicle remains in motion, can keep the vehicle going at a 30% reduction of power until safely stopping. (Starting is the problem with a 'broken leg' but that's another topic)

For now, I offer this reference:
http://ecmweb.com/basics/using-single-phase-transformers-create-3-phase-systems

This subject will come up in some form or another, even if it's HEP, but I suspect you're going to hear a lot more about 'distributed traction' than you now do. Keep "Cow and Calf" in mind on this...some posters are alluding to it. And with a double prime motored diesel loco, that becomes even *more* relevant, as per economy and 'greeness'.

The main issue is one of voltages. 25kV AC from the overhead (with fairly large range of actually voltages), versus the fairly clean and even ~2400V AC from the alternator attached to each engine. The transformers and equipment that you need for each are quite different.
Yes and no. Doubtless, you can't work with 25kV AC as is...albeit as much as it's "the work of Satan" to me, (for a variety or reasons, not the least the shock hazards of even computer 'switching power supplies') transformers *can* now be rendered redundant. Witness UHV DC transmission lines as in Quebec. It's all solid state switching. It has to be! It's DC! Xfrmrs won't work...(note: This is handled by extremely high voltage solid state inverters 'reconstituting' the power back to AC. See: https://library.e.abb.com/public/9e16e26d65ab7339c12572fe004deb21/22-27 2M733_ENG72dpi.pdf)

Whatever, without doubt, in the motor world, medium voltage (in the range you mention 2.4kV ) is far more more practical to work with, insulation easy to address, winding numbers easy to work with, and *efficiencies* keep growing ever higher.

What this discussion might evolve to, rather than the specifics of the latest proven technologies elsewhere comes down to, is *is VIA going to settle for yesterday's technology?*. Given triple traction current fed through the coaches to distribute either to the coaches themselves as EMU, or to the traction motors on bogies either end, but a distributed weight electric loco one end, diesel the other, there's a *drastically reduced need* to hedge bets on tomorrow's technology. For a start, only a very few runs will need an electric loco, so why 'lock-in' a design when it can be satisfied in a *modular fashion* as needed? If you are dragging that electric loco around, at least utilize the weight on the bogies powered from the other end. And by not having one loco to do both, you're also distributing the *weight* to either end, for safety, and for vastly reduced track and equipment wear. *IF* a bi-modal loco is at either end, then it still makes perfect sense to use as little in the way of prime-movers to affect the speed and performance desired, so again, that 'traction power bus' from end-to-end makes perfect sense.

The real question remains 'through coach triple phase traction current'. Once that is satisfied, the locos can be added in as per spec needed, including asymmetric mode at each end if needed . Until that time, the cabling is in place in the coach-set for feed-through traction current. And including refurbished perfectly good locos in a new lifetime, able to be cascaded out later when surpassed with the latest needed spec.

Edit to Add: Still Googling to find examples of a 'power bus' carried through a coach consist, but here's the simplest denominator of the concept as to distributed tractive effort from a 'mother' prime mover and a 'calf':
[...]
A slug is used to increase adhesive weight, allowing full power to be applied at a lower speed, thus allowing a higher maximum tractive effort. They are often used in low-speed operations such as switching operations in yards. At low speeds, a diesel-electric locomotive prime mover is capable of producing more electricity than its traction motors can use effectively. Extra power would simply cause the wheels to slip and possibly overheat the traction motors. A slug increases the number of traction motors available to the locomotive, increasing both the pulling and braking power. In addition the load on each traction motor is reduced, which helps prevent overheating from excess current. Slugs typically carry ballast to increase their weight and improve traction. Large blocks of concrete are frequently used for this purpose, substituting for the weight of the now-absent prime mover.

Slugs can be built new or converted from existing locomotives. Conversion has enjoyed popularity as a way to reuse otherwise obsolete locomotives, especially those with worn-out diesels and good traction motors.[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(railroad)#External_links

With the latest in micro-controllers and IGBT/SCR/Triac controllers, this can be taken to a much more pliable degree in controlling not only braking and acceleration, but to optimize the traction needs of each loco to keep as steady a stress on the couplings as possible while still maximizing acceleration/braking when needed.

Still digging for better reference...;

Last edited:
A diesel-electric consist of any sort would likely have a more substantial fuel load than the ALP's meagre tank, no?
It all depends on regulations required for going through a tunnel.
[...]Each engine system is independent including a separate 3,400 l (750 imp gal; 900 US gal) fuel tank
[...]
Fuel capacity 6,056 l (1,332 imp gal; 1,600 US gal)*, 6,813 l (1,499 imp gal; 1,800 US gal)†...† = AMT models
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALP-45DP

Most large-scale diesel generators have an adjustable output voltage (usually 3000 volt about 18000 volt) but adding a transformer to match the overhead feed would not be trivial due to currents involved but should be very straight forward (I was an electrical engineer, mostly small scale circuitry stuff, and I've been writing software for the last 15 years so I've forgotten more than a little).

The double-engine design sounds best so far (one diesel, one electrical), but it would be fun to be on the design team for this project to price out EMU + power plant.

That snippet of information released doesn't really say much about individual cars being interoperable with standard railway equipment. Build it with Jacobs bogies as fixed trainsets then put a standard coupler on the front/back of the train for towing. Nearly any kind of inter-car connections (electrical, etc.) are possible if you don't need individual cars to be useful independent of the train.
Sorry, I initially missed this post, excellent points, all which can and should be further discussed.

One of the European high speed trains use electric locomotives combined with generator cars to allow the train to run through un-electrified sections. (I think it was the Spain one).

One of the European high speed trains use electric locomotives combined with generator cars to allow the train to run through un-electrified sections. (I think it was the Spain one).
Excellent tag! We're getting closer. For some reason, this is a very difficult subject to figure out tags for:
Talgo 250 Hybrid
The Talgo 250 Hybrid is a dual-voltage dual-power train equipped with variable gauge axles. The train is therefore also able to operate on non-electrified lines. A Talgo 250 Hybrid train consists of two power cars, two technical end coaches and nine Talgo VII intermediate coaches. The trains were developed for RENFE and classed initially as S-130H, later as S-730). They are rebuilt from existing Talgo 250 trains.[22]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talgo

"two technical end coaches"
Further digging should show even more on that...

Edit to Add: I'm just running out the door, but MD got the breakthrough (I'm sure there's others too)
[...]
RENFE Class 730
Main article: RENFE Class 730
In order to extend high-quality services to parts of Spain not on the high-speed network RENFE acquired hybrid trains with both electric and diesel power[17] for delivery in 2012 for use from Madrid to Murcia and Galicia, built by Talgo and Bombardier, at a cost of 78 million euro.[18] The new trains based on the S-130 were initially coded S130H, later S730;

Fifteen sets S-130 units will be converted to hybrid operation.[19][20] with two generator cars per set using MTU 12V 4000 R43L engines (1.8MW each). The top speed in diesel mode is 180 km/h. Testing of the trains took place in 2011 with introduction into service expected in 2012.[21][...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talgo
High Speed

Talgo 250 Dual

Evolution of the Talgo 250, this is a unique train model on the market, the most versatile. This trains can run on tracks with different gauges and electric and diesel traction, which allows switching the power system without stopping the train.

Its main advantage is that it enables access to high speed without significant investments in improving infrastructure, as it can adapt to the existing one. This feature makes it a very attractive product for countries wishing to join the high speed in the coming years.

The first commercial service of this model in Spain was performed in the Galicia-Madrid line, in June 2012.

caracteristicastecnicas_ingles_650.jpg

t250dual.jpg

Maximum commercial speed
250 km/h (UIC gauge) 220 km/h (Spanish gauge).

Maximum acceleration on curves 1.2 m/s2
Traction units 2
Traction Electrical.
Electricity supply
25 kV, 50 Hz / 3 kV c.c.

Installed power 4800 kW c.a. / 4000 kW c.c.
Power generators Two identical, independent generators.
Bogies Bo - Bo
Wheelbase 2.8 m
Power axles 8
Maximum weight per axle 18 t.
Front Aerodynamic, optimised for pressure waves and side winds.
Pneumatic braking
Two discs per axle.

Electric braking
Regenerating (2400 kW) and Rheostatic (2000 kW)

Length 20 m
Maximum width 2.96 m
Height 4 m
Operation direction Two way (”push-pull”)
Operation
Single train or in multiple configuration

img_pdf.jpg
Talgo 250.pdf
archivos_descargables_en_236.jpg

Talgo 250 Dual Structure

Train Distribution

Coach Type Unit/Train Seats
Power head 2
Technical end Coach 2 0
Economy Class Coach 6 216
Bistro Coach 1 0
First Class (Handicapped) 1 23
First Class 1 26
Total seats : 265
Technical End Coach

Model 12v 4000r 43I
Traction power 1800 Kw (2448 Cv) a 1800 rpm.
Exhaust emissions regulation EU 26/2004 STEAGE III a
Consumption 190 g /kWh
Cylinder displacement 4.77 Litros
Total dysplacement 57.23 Litros
Weight 6.600 Kg

bullet.jpg
Technical end coach with a powerful set generator, which allows running on both gauges (European and Iberian Standards), with both electric traction power (25 kW and 3 kW) and diesel traction (non-electrified lines).
bullet.jpg
Energy required to operate in non-electrified routes results from generators mounted on the technical end coaches.
bullet.jpg
Changing power system is performed without stopping the train.
bullet.jpg
Maximum speeds of 250 km/h.
bullet.jpg

Offers the possibility to access the high speed without incurring costly infrastructure investments.

Image Gallery

Click on the thumbnails to enlarge the pictures and play.

http://www.talgo.com/index.php/en/hibrido_pro.php

Excellent description here, don't know how to attach it:
http://www.talgo.com/pdf/t250_250H_en.pdf

Last edited:
Yes, that was the one!

One train, alas, had a bad accident in Spain sometime ago (operator fault: ran it too fast around a curve that did not have automatic protection, and killed many). Heavy generator cars at both ends mixed with lightweight coaches, were also found to be a potential consideration in affecting fatality counts. Nontheless, it boiled down to operator fault...

They continue to merrily run these Talgo trains today, with safety enhancements to ensure the trains automatically brake before curves, in case of operator inattention.

Heavy generator cars at both ends mixed with lightweight coaches, were also found to be a potential consideration in affecting fatality counts.
YES! *All the more reason* to not stick all the weight at one end. 50/50 chance you'll get lucky in a head-on. 50/50 you won't. Imagine the telescoping of a bi-modal (approx 50% or more heavier) at one end. At least with a double ended, there's less chance of telescoping as the frontal mass will tend to neutralize the opposing one.

All in all, good cause to *keep overall weight down*...*Even if TC can't handle the obvious!*. The regs have to change. That being said, this trainset meets AAR and FRA regs.

Must run, excellent find MD, we now have a lot more to discuss...

Back