News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 590     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

U of T: Munk School of Global Affairs (Bloor & Devonshire, KPMB) COMPLETE

This is not a "Georgian-style building". The entrance arch is mock Norman, the whole thing is more Romanesque than anything else - that circular tower with small windows especially. It must have fit in nicely with Mazzoleni Hall when it was built.

Looks very good on Peter Munk, a man who has contributed a lot already to the university and downtown hospitals. Thank good ness for the sharp increase in the price of gold!

I am having a very difficult time envisioning this historic building with a stock ticker around its tower. Not to prejudge but that sounds tacky to put it mildly. And I have to comment that the Globe's article perhaps could have been better written. A reference is casually tossed out, in the first paragraph, to a "global plaza" which would "reconfigure" this part of Bloor Street. Sounds like definite plans for something pretty major. But no details are offered ... Did the reporter get a little carried away with hyperbole? Or simply forget to write the rest of the story?

This is not a "Georgian-style building". The entrance arch is mock Norman, the whole thing is more Romanesque than anything else - that circular tower with small windows especially. It must have fit in nicely with Mazzoleni Hall when it was built.

Was about to comment on this. It's definitely not a Georgian style building, nor was it even built close to the main Georgian architectural period.

Everyone and their brother loves Georgian and Classical architecture because of the lightness, balance and elegance of proportion it can express - that's why fauxmongers mangle it so consistently. Hefty, chunky, ghoulish High Victorian and Richardsonian Romanesque are rarely revived, for obvious reasons.

Wait so where is Admissions and Awards going? I remember having to go there a few times during my time at U of T. I love that building and would hate for them to ruin it.

I have a feeling the student body and others will at the very least object to this silly ticker.

But where? Just to renovate the observatory? Has the Sport Centre been relocated to UTSC or something, giving them room to expand out back along Devonshire?

If you use 1 point font no one will hear you spill the beans...

It's largely an interior retrofit, but there will be an enclosed glass staircase hanging off the west wall as well as the aformentioned alterations to the east tower. The Goldring Center, to the south, is very much alive and though a final architect has not been chosen, several firms both local and foreign are working on proposals. I'm still fuming over the rejection of BIG in the preliminary competition though - oh what could have been...

If it's an interior retrofit, that's cool, but I didn't think this building was large enough for this new program. Seems like they could better integrate with existing programs if they were located in the Munk Centre (perhaps an addition there?), or further south on Devonshire.

I also hope they don't lose the green in front of that beautiful building. This stretch of bloor needs to keep all the green it can.

Last edited:
Wrecking the lawn and trees and fence would be a crime against humanity.

It's largely an interior retrofit, but there will be an enclosed glass staircase hanging off the west wall as well as the aformentioned alterations to the east tower. The Goldring Center, to the south, is very much alive and though a final architect has not been chosen, several firms both local and foreign are working on proposals. I'm still fuming over the rejection of BIG in the preliminary competition though - oh what could have been...

While we have this private aside, do you know if the Goldring Centre is going to occupy the parking lot east of Woodsworth, the empty lot to the north, or both? I'm assuming both. Other than the Munk Centre itself, there may not be much space nearby for the new Global School to expand to.

Wrecking the lawn and trees and fence would be a crime against humanity.

While we have this private aside, do you know if the Goldring Centre is going to occupy the parking lot east of Woodsworth, the empty lot to the north, or both? I'm assuming both. Other than the Munk Centre itself, there may not be much space nearby for the new Global School to expand to.
They're SUPPOSED to also be building a U of T Student Centre there too (on the parking lot, I believe). Don't know how the heck they're planning to fit all of these things there.

Maybe there's room for both...the two are not incompatible. The Sport Centre is supposed to go at the south end of Site 12, meaning just the parking lot (and perhaps the little garden and the Margaret Fletcher building), but I don't see how two basketball courts, including one with 2000 seats, can fit on the footprint of just the parking lot.

Maybe the Global School won't expand much...there's no guarantee it will.

Goldring Centre? Isn't that Victoria College's new student centre at Wymilwood on Charles Street?

The thread for that is here, now including newer renderings from Moriyama & Teshima on page 3.

Goldring Centre? Isn't that Victoria College's new student centre at Wymilwood on Charles Street?

The thread for that is here, now including newer renderings from Moriyama & Teshima on page 3.

Mr Goldring has lots of money. He spread it around and somehow ended up with TWO future U of T buildings in his name. I hate it when they duplicate names of buildings on the campus, makes it really confusing to navigate around.

Two Alumni Halls, Two Pratt buildings, Two Jackman buildings. Sheer madness.

Back