U Condos (The Pemberton Group) - Real Estate

Floorplans !! (from MADEinHK)

thanks again to floorplans posted by MADEinHK ... I took the liberty to turn the PDFs into images so it can be easily accessible (and avoid the download hassle from megaupload.com website)

Tower Suites (floors 4-34)

Executive Suites (floors 35-45)

I agree, floor plans are dissapointing. I really expected more.
$430,000 for 650 sq ft unit with parking is quite steep. They are only selling West tower at this point.

Anyone here was interested in buying but was turned off by price/floor plans?

Well, I didn't really consider buying it but the price is a surprise for the location. There's not really a good view you can't get anywhere else and it's kind of far from downtown. Close to Yorkville but still not in Yorkville. The only upside I can see from U Condo is their phase 2 which will be situated on Bay Street. This one sits on St. Mary's. I don't know why people seem to have high regard for "Bay Street" name. Anything with that name pushes up the value of the building.

Thanks for posting those plans Solaris. Much easier to look over now.
Did some quick calculating. I think these characters are INCLUDING the balconies into their square footage! Subtract the balconies and what kind of price do you get per square foot!?!
Good Grief! Just how many suckers with cheque books are there left in this town?

Thanks for the pdf floorplans Solaris, you da man (or woman) !:D

Granny said:
Did some quick calculating. I think these characters are INCLUDING the balconies into their square footage! Subtract the balconies and what kind of price do you get per square foot!?!
Good Grief! Just how many suckers with cheque books are there left in this town?

I'm not sure what's going on with the SQF and floorplans but to say they are CRAP !
I did a quick calculation of the King unit, and the number work if you take into consideration that the external walls are 2 ft thick !?!? (32 x 28 ft vs. 30 x 26 ft)

ooo my my ... Granny you seem to be right !! good catch ~ I though legally builders have to sell based on Gross Floor Area (sq.ft. inside walls of buildings) ... even with 1BE they at least provided a breakdown of balcony vs suite area on the plan, but none is shown on these drawings

Pemberton better clarify on this one~

I kinda like the floorplan of the Woodsworth ... just open the second 'interior' bedroom and use it as a den :) ... and the New looks good too, pretty wide living space ... otherwise the executive suites are generally nice (paying with an arm and a leg that is)

I'll take man haha :cool: ... your welcome ... the credit goes to the info source MADEinHK

Gfa

Gross floor area should be calculated as follows:

- the exterior side of exterior walls
- the centreline of demising walls (ie. adjacent residential units)
- the common area side of common areas (ie. corridors, elevator shafts, stairs)

The balcony should not be included in the gfa.

**Never purchase a unit beside an elevator in a highrise- you are paying for the full thickness of the shaft wall which is unusable space for you!!:::eek::eek:

Gross floor area should be calculated as follows:

- the exterior side of exterior walls
- the centreline of demising walls (ie. adjacent residential units)
- the common area side of common areas (ie. corridors, elevator shafts, stairs)

The balcony should not be included in the gfa.

**Never purchase a unit beside an elevator in a highrise- you are paying for the full thickness of the shaft wall which is unusable space for you!!:::eek::eek:

really?? thanks I never knew that ... I always though GFA was the measured at centreline of all interior walls and the outside edge of exterior walls

time for me to brush up the Ontario Building Code definitions again hehe :p

well, it remains to be seen how well this will sell.
I wonder how many people out there are willing to pay such a high price for avarage building.
I was always keeping an eye on this building as I love location. But I'm disapointed with floor plans and at the same time they are charging TOP dollars.
I guess this market can not only be pushed so far.
I think it's time people step back and that will send message to these developers.

Disappointed, but there is serious interest in this project

Like many others, i awaited the release of the plans eagerly. The location is fantastic, so hopes were high... I was warned by my insider friends that they were planning to come in at the higher end of pricing, based on the market research.

The plans are average at best, and could be improved with minor modifications. My problem is that like many of the newer condos, the balcony allocation is far too much. Architects use the balconies as an element to improve an otherwise boring and unarticulated facade, but the REALITY is that balconies are not used as much as developers think. When the weather is good, condo livers are outdoors. When the weather is bad, nobody ventures out on to the balconies. But we have to pay for them! If even half of the balcony allocation became useable interior space, then developers would have a better product to sell, and buyers will be happier - an extra closet, an extra bathroom, an interesting alcove for a reading corner....these things do make a difference.

All that said, I know half a dozen people who cannot wait to purchase into U. Most of them have some prior connection to the University..either having lived as St Mikes etc. Another lived in Polo 1 for a decade, and wants to preserve her view, and transfer equity into a new product.

One trend that we cannot deny, is that there are fewer and fewer condos in the core. The action is in North York and the Lakeshore. So developers are selling projects in the core at a premium that anticipates the eventual cessation of construction in the prime core....

Well, I didn't really consider buying it but the price is a surprise for the location. There's not really a good view you can't get anywhere else and it's kind of far from downtown. Close to Yorkville but still not in Yorkville. The only upside I can see from U Condo is their phase 2 which will be situated on Bay Street. This one sits on St. Mary's. I don't know why people seem to have high regard for "Bay Street" name. Anything with that name pushes up the value of the building.

I totally diagree with you...the west and south views are somewhat "protected" views over the eastern, gothic campus. This is quite unique. I also like that the west tower is oriented more to St Mary's St. Bay st is very noisy....those balconies are useless.

Well, I agree...location is superb. And the south viwes will be spectacular.
I live in 1+1 right on Bay...but do not have balcony. And the only reason I was considering buying here was b/c of balcony...even though we don't use it quite often at all.

But I'm not sold on any floor plan...I find bedrooms extremly small...and whole layout quite boring.
Looks like I would have to downsize and cash out extra $130,000 which doesn't make much sense.

:eek:

are new condos averaging $500-$600 per sq ft now in downtown?

whatever happens to real-estate market slowdown?

Back