News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 480     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

TTC: Next Bus/Streetcar Arrival System

This is great, I'm never gonna have to wait for a streetcar again (unless the system breaks...)

Spacing: Next arrival times at more stations

The TTC announced today that, in addition to Dundas station, 12 more stations are now equipped to display the next train arrival time. These stations are: Finch, Union, King, Queen, Eglinton West, St. George, Bay, Yonge, Keele, Bloor, High Park, and St. Andrew. The TTC says more stations will be added throughout the year.

Well, finally, I was almost concerned that this would be another forgotten pilot project. Great news indeed.
I would was that the next on the list should be Sheppard, Eglinton, North York Centre, and all of the terminal stations.

just noticed this today by accident. over slept my stop and had to get off at queen to head back up to dundas again. looked up at the monitor and saw the next arrival time displayed thinking for just a second it's a hillusination due to all the sleep deprivation.

I noticed this week that they are turning them on, on the Danforth line now. Pape was active early this week, and I spotted Woodbine on Friday.

I always figured that they didn't have that much utility during peak periods ... on the other hand, I walked onto the platform at Woodbine, saw that it said 3 minutes until the next train, and turned around and walked back to grab a newspaper at the newsagent in the mezanine. Perhaps there's something to this after all!

It's bizarre though, that there is still no display unit in place eastbound at Pape - I'd have thought if they were trying to hit the busier platforms, that would have been up there.

What was the timeframe that all of these units were to be in place? I'm surprised it's dragged out this long.

I noticed this week that they are turning them on, on the Danforth line now. Pape was active early this week, and I spotted Woodbine on Friday.

I always figured that they didn't have that much utility during peak periods ... on the other hand, I walked onto the platform at Woodbine, saw that it said 3 minutes until the next train, and turned around and walked back to grab a newspaper at the newsagent in the mezanine. Perhaps there's something to this after all!

It's bizarre though, that there is still no display unit in place eastbound at Pape - I'd have thought if they were trying to hit the busier platforms, that would have been up there.

What was the timeframe that all of these units were to be in place? I'm surprised it's dragged out this long.

I am wondering if OneStop is having financial problems from a fall in advertising revenue.
I suspect the same thing is the cause for the apparent abandonment of the similar project on GO trains.

Bus/Streetcar arrival notification system?

Does the TTC have any plans to implement a system where those waiting will be able to see when the next bus/street car is coming? I only ask because I've been seeing this electronic boards popping up everywhere at major bus stops in Seoul that will tell you when each bus is arrive and where it is exactly on route to your stop. It was great cause I found myself needing to use the restroom tonight and when I saw my bus was 6 minutes away I knew I had enough time to slip into the underground, do my thing and come back out. The subway has a similar system here. It's not really needed for the local range buses but for the longer range ones that aren't every 2-3 minutes it's great. It's even in 4 languages (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese) and can announce the bus arrivals for the blind in any of those languages as well.

Seems like it would be well suited in certain spots in Toronto. I don't know how many times I've seen people sticking their heads out or walking into traffic to see the next street car at Queen/Yonge, King/Yonge etc. Places where multiple streetcars or buses share a single stop with different route numbers will be less confusing as crowds will know exactly which bus is arriving next before it gets there.

P090714001.jpg

I also wrote about the TTC's plans on Torontoist back in December, as well; there's a bit more info there:

http://torontoist.com/2008/12/ttc_unveils_next_stop_notification.php

"Adam Giambrone, the TTC's chair, gave his presentation in front of Spadina Station's new pair of LCD screens. One screen shows times for when the streetcars along the 510 Spadina route, the first route to have the system fully set up on, will arrive in the station; the other half shows a real-time map of where on the route each individual streetcar is. Facing those LCD screens (above, top), above where commuters wait for the 510 to shuffle out of the dark, is an LED screen (above, bottom) that also shows riders how long they'll have to wait for the next car. And in no time, six thousand transit shelters across the city will have LED displays like them, and those stops without shelters or not outfitted with screens will have a stop number on them that TTC riders can use SMS to get the same information from."

A display was supposed to be installed at the northbound 510 stop at Dundas/Spadina in the spring, but it still hasn't materialized as of yet. Finch Station is going to receive displays by the end of the year on the bus platforms.

I just noticed that even though the 501 streetcars are not running on Queen Street from Victoria/Church to Parliament the online timetable with the 'next stereetcar" information still thinks they are running on their normal route. Sigh! As this is a long-term diversion (8 weeks) it REALLY ought to be fixed.

A display was supposed to be installed at the northbound 510 stop at Dundas/Spadina in the spring, but it still hasn't materialized as of yet. Finch Station is going to receive displays by the end of the year on the bus platforms.

I know it's a "test" location, but this would be much more helpful at Bremner, where you can't see the next (several) streetcars coming, unlike Dundas, until they are only a minute or so away.

Speaking of this route. The system still hasn't figured out how to best calculate travel times for cars arriving at Union. The last 2 minutes still frequently stretches into more than 5. I also still occasionally see the time to arrival go up, which is really frustrating when it's over 10 minutes.

Back