News   Apr 26, 2024
 118     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 413     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Might be a stupid question but I find it odd why we're investing in new fare gates instead of getting rid of them all together. The Go Train seems to operate fine without fare gates, as does all of German rapid transit from my experience. Does buying these fare gates plus the maintenance costs work out to cheaper than hiring more fare inspectors?

Might be a stupid question but I find it odd why we're investing in new fare gates instead of getting rid of them all together. The Go Train seems to operate fine without fare gates, as does all of German rapid transit from my experience. Does buying these fare gates plus the maintenance costs work out to cheaper than hiring more fare inspectors?

one cannot check all riders esp on morning and evening rush when you cant even move. On GO inspectors have the luxury of few stations and large gaps in between so tha they have time to check. our subways stop every few hundred meters in the core. Also gates are pretty universal globally. Go and the German system are pretty much outliers

one cannot check all riders esp on morning and evening rush when you cant even move. On GO inspectors have the luxury of few stations and large gaps in between so tha they have time to check. our subways stop every few hundred meters in the core. Also gates are pretty universal globally. Go and the German system are pretty much outliers

I agree that it's a law of numbers. Increasing enforcement is a higher cost for TTC that it is for GO. That and you're more likely to tempt nefarious individuals willing to try and cheat the fare in a local system vs. a regional one.

TTC's website has lists Royal York faregates have opened. I went by Christie Station yesterday and they seem to be all powered, similar to Royal York last week. Likely going to open next week.
Same with Ossington but they got to finish off retrofitting the interiors.

I was at Royal York yesterday. Nice gates but I see more people lining up than using the gates. Keele Station fare gates are well underway. They have been installed but not powered yet. Probably 2 weeks till that opens.

I've been to Lansdowne station a few times recently and the placement of the gates seems relly odd. The two collectors booths at the station. One is closed off and has stickers on the windows to cover it are on the other side of the new faee gate line.

I've been to Lansdowne station a few times recently and the placement of the gates seems relly odd. The two collectors booths at the station. One is closed off and has stickers on the windows to cover it are on the other side of the new faee gate line.
Can you take a picture to illustrate? Maybe they plan to remove the booth?

Lansdowne currently requires a paper transfer to transfer from or to a bus or the subway. Same with Dufferin, High Park, Runnymede, Jane, Old Mill, and several others. See map below.

2007-ttc-subway-map-png.39467

With PRESTO, instead of showing the operator your paper transfer, you would use the PRESTO card to enter through the fare gate where it should recognize the "transfer". In theory, of course.

The theory works in practice. I have been tapping on with Presto on my 66 bus, and then at Old Mill subway station if I go that way, or on the streetcar at the Humber Loop if I go the other way, and any other vehicles that I transfer too, and Presto has not made a mistake by charging me twice for the same ride yet.

Christie, from yesterday evening:
IMG_0607.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,067
Lansdowne currently requires a paper transfer to transfer from or to a bus or the subway. Same with Dufferin, High Park, Runnymede, Jane, Old Mill, and several others. See map below.

With PRESTO, instead of showing the operator your paper transfer, you would use the PRESTO card to enter through the fare gate where it should recognize the "transfer". In theory, of course.

The good news for some of these stations/bus routes is that we will now get accurate number counts. Previously when the accessible gate was opened the paper transfer and metropass users streamed through this and not through turnstiles. relying on occasional manual number counts is not accurate. Post-Presto everyone will have to use a gate and we will know exactly the number of people using a subway stop and the bus. I'm thinking of the 66 with all the residents near the Humber.

Of course a double edged sword. Older bus routes may have lower numbers.

I just hope that the TTC will publish these counts and they act on them.

The good news for some of these stations/bus routes is that we will now get accurate number counts. Previously when the accessible gate was opened the paper transfer and metropass users streamed through this and not through turnstiles. relying on occasional manual number counts is not accurate. Post-Presto everyone will have to use a gate and we will know exactly the number of people using a subway stop and the bus. I'm thinking of the 66 with all the residents near the Humber.

Of course a double edged sword. Older bus routes may have lower numbers.

I just hope that the TTC will publish these counts and they act on them.

Does anybody know if the TTC has the ability to pair together where a passenger tapped on and tapped off for the purpose of tracking a full trip pattern, instead of just boardings? I know there are some privacy concerns to this, and I know that Presto already does this for payment tracking, but it would certainly be useful data to have for planners too. "Trip #00000001 tapped on at Ossington and off at King" is more useful than "X number of people tapped on at Ossington, and X number of people tapped off at King".

Back