News   Apr 24, 2024
 956     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 568     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

And as of today, so is Christie.

image-jpg.86720

https://twitter.com/prestocard/status/778953171104256001

And with that, we have significantly closed another gap on Line 2, and should have all of it west of Sherbourne done soon.

zxgyp60.png

edit: added legend to map

Last edited:
From their latest photo its seems like they did not install a RFID reader on the outgoing direction.
How difficult/easy is the retrofit. Also it's good that they decalled the green tapzone with labels so there's no confusion and people trying to
tap on the screen

This is supposedly a thread for new fare gates and the map is quite misleading (actually wrong!) as it is actually NOT of stations with new fare gates but of stations with PRESTO. (The earliest stations to get Presto, (e.g. King and other downtown loop stations) will only get new gates when all the non-PRESTO stations get both new gates and PRESTO. The TTC has a map showing stations where PRESTO is operational; See: http://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Maps/Presto_Station_Map.pdf and a list of stations with PRESTO and having PRESTO installed currently. See: http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/PRESTO_Subway.jsp

From their latest photo its seems like they did not install a RFID reader on the outgoing direction.
How difficult/easy is the retrofit. Also its good that they decalled the green tapzone with labels so theres no confusion and people trying to
tap on the screen

The RFID reader on the exit side of them is part of phase two. The first phase is to get them installed at all the stations first. Then sometime before the Spadina extension opens they will add the tap out portion of them.

How difficult/easy is the retrofit. Also it's good that they decalled the green tapzone with labels so there's no confusion and people trying to
tap on the screen

I recall that, essentially, the "front" and "back" of the gates is either completely identical or almost identical, and that the fare payment module is a relatively easy swap--namely, that they have either the Presto reader or the Metropass swipe reader currently, and swapping the metropass reader out for a Presto one is (supposed to be) extremely quick and easy. If swapping a Metropass module for a Presto one is easy, and the front and back of the gates are the same, then swapping the "nothing" module on the back of the gates for presto modules should also be trivial.

I find it curious that they are following the European "keep left" signage,
images

and not the North American "keep left" signage.
R4-8_keep_left_median-_firstsign-com.jpg

It's a small thing, but curious none the less. Though with Toronto's desire to put verbage signage clutter just about everywhere, they could have gone with.
keep-left.jpg

images

It's a small thing, but curious none the less. Though with Toronto's desire to put verbage signage clutter just about everywhere, they could have gone with.
keep-left.jpg

WKL - if I came upon the keep left sign with the island and black arrow (pic #2 or pic #3), I'd be looking for cars or driving mine. I think it's completely standard to use the blue circle. I get it.

What is Eurpean and more prevalent these days is green exit signs with a white outline fleeing through a door. Those have replaced the standard red exit signs in some places.

images

keep-left.jpg

IIRC, the company that makes the gates is German.

What is Eurpean and more prevalent these days is green exit signs with a white outline fleeing through a door. Those have replaced the standard red exit signs in some places.
I believe the Ontario building code was recently updated to require the green "running person" type of exit sign.

Alos the keep left arrow is over the right hand side of the exit gate where the presto as the majority of the world is right handed and will likely tap out with ther right hand.

You are correct and it's longer ago than we think. 2010. I honestly didn't think we were that evolved.

You are now seeing these in all new builds. Long overdue in my opinion. Better looking, not dependent on English comprehension, and (correct me if Ian wrong) green is I think easier to see for those with less than full eyesight. Outside Moorfields eye hospital in London there's a strip of lime green paint on the sidewalk that shows the path from the Tube exit to the ER for this reason.

I believe the green running person was first implemented in 2014. I remember the first instance of seeing it being on the new level in the Eaton centre when it opened around then.

Back